QX56 Timing Chain and Catalytic Converter Issues 2011 2012 2013

A forum for the Nissan Armada, Infiniti QX56, and beginning in 2014, the Infiniti QX80
nec00111
Car: 2012 QX56

I realized I posted this under the wrong Forum, so I figured I would add it here in case this helps anyone
----------------------------------------------------------

Posted in January
Looking for any experiences around the 2011-2013 QX56 TIming Chain Issue Recall on these cars. This issue popped up on me and being told out of campaign date. This is clearly a manufacturing defect. Car was in the shop getting one of the two catalytic converters replaced (also an apparent defect)

Looking for any guidance on fixing this issue, and any long term effects or concerns with the engine overall. My understanding is this is due to lack of proper lubrication over time causing the timing chains to stretch. Pointing to fault oil jets or oil pump. Not sure.

If that is true what other concerns would there be to the overall engine over time. Fixing this might just be temporary but overall impact could seriously diminish the life of the engine.
TSB has a procedure to check a hole in the block. If oil jet hole exceeds 3mm then instructions are to order a new long engine (long block).

I can't believe Infiniti is not fixing this, as it's a significant safety concern driving down the highway and have your timing chain fail.

Any experience or thoughts on this would be appreciated. I searched the forum and didn't find much. Internet has plenty to say about it.

Posted April
Quick Update. Didn't see many replies, but many views.

I decided to take this project myself and it was quite an experience, but got it done successfully. It really did involve taking the top, front and bottom part of the engine off. I thought I could get away without removing the upper oil plan, but in order to get the oil pump off, it needed to be removed.

Basically an oil jet, that was not lubricating the chains properly. The chains, in turn, heat up and stretch. By stretching they eventually start rubbing against the oil jet and themselves, only making the problem worse and WILL eventually lead to failure. I've attached pictures of the oil jet. It's supposed to be rounded on the side shown, but that is where the timing chain was eating away at it. The second picture shows how close the chains are and at 3000 RPM were rubbing together.

The process was very involved. One thing I will say is you must have the proper tools to extract and insert the oil jet. Doing this incorrectly could damage the engine block and then the new jet might not re-seat properly.

Infiniti consumer affairs were absolutely useless and horrible. The told me my car wasn't even listed under the warranty. I believe the issue is so big they decided to do a voluntary recall, for a limited window. So if you miss it, then they don't have to cover it. It's about a $4500 job. To make matters worse I have two catalytic converter failures ($2600 each). One I got lucky and was covered under 80K. The second one I'm discussing now with the dealership and I'm at 80,600. Although I have proof that the issue came up before 80K. The dealership said without the code appearing on the car they could not fix it. So the lesson here is do NOT reset the codes on a CAT issue before bringing it to the dealership.

Unacceptable that a 2011 QX56 with 80K miles, has $10K worth of repairs needed that are known to be manufacturer defects.

I've attempted to add pictures below
https://drive.google.com/open?id=18Py4h ... Wd0Nc6C6nr
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1r0wVK ... fW1ruPcInD

Cheffin_Nicely
Car: 2005 Infiniti QX56

I will say I was just in the market for a QX and that whole timing chain fiasco is definitely what kept me away from the '11 and on models. I didn't want to buy something that didn't have proof that the chain had been done under the recall and next thing I know I'm hit in the wallet to foot the bill while also making a monthly payment. So I ended up with a 2005 QX that I picked up for 3k that needs little things that I'm willing to fix that I can also do myself. Not to mention the wife doesn't like the look of the '11+ anyway so I still wouldn't had been able to get it if it did have the chain done lol. Good to hear you got it done.

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

I wonder if this problem also applies to the 2008 VK56DE ?

Return to “Armada Forum / QX56 Forum / QX80 Forum”