QX56 Engine Swap

A forum for the Nissan Armada, Infiniti QX56, and beginning in 2014, the Infiniti QX80
apamburn

Well I'm halfway thorough my engine swap on my QX56.

It's time to do some diagnostics on the replacement engine.

I purchased it from a junk yard for $1600 (shipped from CA to UT) with a 90 day warranty. Supposedly came out of an armada that was rear ended.

The engine has 70k miles on it.

What kind of tests should I run on it? What should I replace off the get go? I am torn between "change it while the engine is out - do it right or pay the consequences later" and "don't touch anything - it's a relatively young engine and if something breaks take advantage of the warranty, plus I don't want to spend more money than absolutely necessary, plus I need this up and running ASAP."

A Compression test, general inspection of the accessory pulleys, and a rear main seal seem like common sense. I'll take a peek down the intake ports and up the exhaust ports. Turn the crank by hand to make sure it turns and I don't hear anything weird. Oil pan is hard enough to get to that it would probably be worth my time to reseal it while the engine is out.

I figure if it turns out that the valve covers leak I can get to those easy enough from the engine bay. I thought about doing the timing chain but it is kind of a pain to do, though frankly if I have the engine out like this, and if I'm pulling the oil pan anyways, it really isn't that much more work I guess.

What am I missing?

Return to “Armada Forum / QX56 Forum / QX80 Forum”