QX56 crank sensor codes

A forum for the Nissan Armada, Infiniti QX56, and beginning in 2014, the Infiniti QX80
vwghiarob
Car: qx56

Hi,
I have searched a lot of threads but none that seems to fix my issues. I had originally had a CAM sensor code on my 2006. I bought a new aftermarket sensor and swapped it out. It wouldn't even start up. I put the old one back in and it started right up but still had code. I read that I should change both Crank and Cam sensors and from the same company. I bought them and swapped them both. The car would not start. I put my old CAM sensor back in and it runs but says Crank code. So I bought an Infiniti sensor, round and metal unlike the plastic flat one that was in it and I still get the crank code.I don't understand how I can go from it being a cam code to a crank code when I still have the old cam sensor in it. I have also had the slip VDC off lights on my dash lit up for a while. The car is slow to get up to speed and not real responsive some times when driving it. Clean air filter. Sprayed MAF with proper cleaner and still got code and poor driving. It does have high miles, 214,000, and a little lifter noise. Is it just done it's duty and ready for scrap? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Rob

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

What codes are you getting? The VK56's have three cam sensors and not two, and Nissans in general are fairly infamous for ECM's blaming the wrong sensor when one of them is lying but not dead. So just telling us "cam code" or "crank code" is pretty useless information.

vwghiarob

Is there more than One Cam sensor? changed the cam sensor on the back side of the drivers head. I changed the crank sensor in the bottom of the bell housing.
Codes are; P0335 CKP sen/Circuit
P0327 Knock sen/circ-B1
Thank You for the reply

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

It looks like your QX is one year too early to have the IVT sensors, my bad. The'07 ups have separate sensors for each intake phaser, Nissan calls them "IVT Control Sensors" but they're exactly what a cam sensor is on every other Nissan engine. They have their own DTC's, P1140/P1145, and people get very confused about them. That's why I asked for codes.

If you have a good scanner, take a good look at the RPM's while cranking. If it's bouncing at all, try an OE crank sensor (the RPM signal comes from the CKP, and if the sensor is lying, it's most likely to lie at cranking speed). Sorting this stuff out can get hairy because Nissan ECM's are only good at detecting flatlined sensors and not malfunctioning ones, and in this case it's complicated by the fact that there' are no phasers to scan a cam reading from. So the next thing to try is assuming the ECM has it right and the crank sensor is twacked, and maybe had it wrong with the cam code.

vwghiarob

I did buy an OE crank sensor and replaced the aftermarket one with no difference. It was a round metal style sensor, unlike the one I got aftermarket.
I did notice that when I’m driving at a steady speed on highway and increase speed that it doesn’t want to, but if I quickly slightly flutter the throttle it seems to speed up better. When the lack of power at driving speed started I thought the transmission was going so I changed the filter and fluid. Fluid two times after driving it a while. Still the same. When the car is cold start it seems better for a little while before acting up.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

You might have an issue with the reluctor wheel or the sensor wiring, then. Most engine DTC's cause a "reduced power" condition, so your hesitation might just be a limp caused by the code. I assume your original code was a P0340, so I'd be looking at the cam reluctor and wiring first. Like I said, Nissan ECM's are only good at detecting flatlined sensors. They're easily confused by a sensor that works but reads incorrectly. Check all your engine and ECM grounds, too. It doesn't take much resistance in the ground wiring to give the ECM foggy glasses.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

PS - It's also possible one bank has jumped time. Since you can't read cam angles on that engine, the easiest way to identify it is a compression test. If one whole bank is lower than the other across the board, chances are you have a jumped chain on the low bank.

vwghiarob

Thanks for the information. Is there any information online that might show where the grounds are located at? Do they all go back to the battery area?
Thank you

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

You can find the entire ground layout for the E (Engine Room) and F (Engine Control) harnesses here starting on page PG-34:
https://www.nicoclub.com/service-manual ... 6%2FPG.pdf

Return to “Armada Forum / QX56 Forum / QX80 Forum”