QX4 Starting Problems

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
TimQX4
Car: 2002 Infiniti QX4

I recently purchased a 2002 QX4 with 170,000 miles from a friend. It had been sitting for about a year and when I first took a look at it we jumped it and it started fine. The first thing I did when i brought it home is put a new battery in it. After driving it for two or three days I noticed a slight hesitation to start, which got progressively worse over the next two days. Eventually, it stopped turning over.

I purchased and installed a new starter and it started without a problem. However, after installing the starter I went to the store and when I tried to start it again I noticed some slight hesitation to start. This got worse, to the point now where it starts in the morning, generally I have to crank it for a few seconds, stop and repeat a few times before it starts. It will not start when it is at operating temp (it may start but I end up cranking so much that I dont want to risk damaging the starter and draining my battery). Once it starts it runs great. I am getting EVAP codes but I do not believe they are related to the starting problem. I am not getting any other codes.

I replaced the MAF and it didnt change anything.

I noticed that my temp gauge goes up to operating temp very quickly; after about 1 minute of starting the engine. I cant imagine the engine can reach operating temp that quickly, and considering my starting issues seem to correlate with engine temp I am thinking the engine temp sensor may be bad? Is there one temp sensor that sends info to the ecu and the gauge? Or are they separate sensors? I also noticed that the coolant is low. I am going to top it off with some distilled water today and see if that helps (Ill do a coolant flush once I figure all this out).

I bought new plugs, air filter and fuel filter. I am going to buy the temp sensor today and get all that installed this weekend. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Tim

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Welcome aboard!

Sounds like you're tracking correctly, the ECU is seeing a hot-start condition. The sensor SHOULD address it, but that's not always sufficient.

My next steps would be to remove and clean REALLY WELL all the connections and grounds. I mean, get to shiny bare metal, and reinstall. This should include starter connections, battery terminals, body and engine grounds, and alternator wiring.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”