QX4. MPG in 4WD low

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
Mike W.
Car: 2003 Infiniti QX4 with a drinking problem. Gas and oil.
2002 BMW 525it
1998 BMW 328is

Related, but not the same as another thread of mine. What do you guys get in 4WD, especially low range. Obviously Pathy and QX4 both, 3.5 engine, the lowly 2 pedal option. I'm sure a proper 3 pedal version would do better, but in my months of looking I hadn't seen a good one with either tranny so I bought what I bought.

Mike W.
Car: 2003 Infiniti QX4 with a drinking problem. Gas and oil.
2002 BMW 525it
1998 BMW 328is

Just for the record in case anyone goes looking for info, based on 2 trips with a mix of high and low, is about 7MPG. This was on the White Rim Road, a slow, rugged 4WD road. It's not that steep on most of it at least, but so rocky you go pretty slow, at least if you want to get back to town without a flat.

yeldogt
Car: 02 Pathfinder 4X LE (X2)

Dropping to 1/2 does not surprise on low ... I notice it's drops quicker when I lock in 4high on my LE (auto transfer) ... it's rare that I need to do it .... But, I keep the Pathfinder around for just those snow events. So on those bad days when I keep it in 4wd ... I can't get over 10mpg.

It's a shame the car did not get a five speed. R50 is a great size ... does most things right .. except MPG. The wish list would have been the 5 speed and rear disc brakes (should have) ... independent rear would have required too much retooling

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”