QX4 Buying advice

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
Jeff Williams
Car: 1994 Q45t, 2000 I30t, 2004 M45, 71, 72, 73, 82 & 2000 Corvettes

I am the resident INFINITI guy at the office. One of my brother salesmen is looking for a QX4 for his daughter. She wants black.

What kind of issues will Scott run into when looking for a used QX4?

Is there a year to look out for, or a year to try to get?

How about maintenance issues, what is the main issue with the vehicles?

Anybody in the Alabama area wanting to sell one, or know where there is one for sale?

Thanks!

Jeff

KoukiS14
Car: 2005 G35x - Lakeshore Slate / Stone

One with a VQ35DE (2001+) will be quicker, but iirc it requires premium fuel (or at least recommends it) . . I can't speak for these.

Personally, I chose a 99.5 because it gains several things over the 97-98 (and probably some earlier 99s).

1) push- button fuel door release / electric trunk opener

2) loses the manual transfer case shift, gaining a nice storage area / cupholder in its place (hey, I like it )

3) auto-off headlights (battery saving feature, not really an auto-on / auto-off type of system) -- it shuts off your headlights if you turn off the vehicle and open the door, if you forgot to turn them off beforehand

4) not positive about this, but I believe earlier QX4s had non-digital odometers. The digital version gives you two trip meters

5) the fake wood trim on the front doors doesn't extend as far back -- I've noticed on the 97-98 that it gets scratched up when it carries all the way back to the handle

6) Clear headlights, very minor thing -- I really don't care, but they look pretty good

7) Updated stereo head unit and auto-climate control

I know the preceding list is a bit nit-picky, but honestly, I'm a sucker for small touches like that. If I had a 97 or 98, I'd still be a happy camper. If you want EVEN more, and can swing it, go for a 2001+ -- honestly, this will probably be the replacement for my QX4 several years from now.

I went with a pre VQ model because the price seemed to be so much cheaper, the engine and tranny are proven, the power is a lot less but around-town driveability is entirely acceptable to me (90% of the 200 ft lb of torque is available at something like 1500 RPM), no 2wd option (they're ALL 4wd before 2001 [made my search super easy]), I chose QX4 over Pathfinder because earlier models have all-mode 4wd (much more usable than standard 4wd for on-road conditions)

So far I feel I got a GREAT vehicle for the value (99.5 with 58,100 for 9,900)

Cliff notes: hell yeah

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Uh oh Jeff.... QX4?

Anyway, if you get a JR50 with the VG33E, youll need to replace the timing belt. Its good for 100k... Other than that, on the earlier ones there arent as many issues, on the later ones they had issues with the o2 sensors....

The drivetrain is very solid, it uses the same trans as the Q does (RE4R03A), the VG33E is a super old school motor and its really easy to work and parts are cheap... Its underpowered (see also: SLUG), but its not going to leave you stranded.....

Its nothing like maintaining a Q.. Just get it, plan on spending a grand off the bat to change the timing belt (unless its been done recently), change the fluids, plugs and brakes, and you'll be good for a while!

Did you read the FAQ?

fueler
Car: 2 Nissans, 2 BMW's

<< 125k problem-free miles on my 99.5 QX4 there really isn't anything out of the ordinary that you need to check... possibly the rear suspension bushings, but I think this was a pathfinder problem and fixed for the QX4?

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”