QUite possibly the best zombie game ever created.

PC, Game console and Online gaming discussion forum
s0m3th1ngAZ
Car: 96' Miata
2014 Focus ST

http://www.dayzmod.com/
This s*** is consuming me. I have never before played a game so intense and involved with the human psyche that it caused me to get physically angry and throw things. I'm talking about the wonderful (Evil) zompacolypse mod for ARMA II, Z-Day. If you don't have ARMA II...BUY THIS GAME. I could give a crap about ARMA II (Still haven't played it) I bought it solely to play this wonderful, hair-pullingly realistic mod.

I'll give you an example from a recent life.
I spawned near the control tower of an airfield with nothing but a crappy pistol and the will to survive. After wandering for a while, killing a couple zombies, and aquiring a winchester, I came upon a group of other hapless zombie survivors and joined them. Four hours later, many conversations and encounters with the undead kind behind us, I WAS SHOT IN THE BACK AND RAPED (Figuratively) of my precious AK47 and food/water. I spent the last 4 hours tramping through some god-forsaken crap-town and genuinely enjoyed playing with the 4 or 5 other players only to have them murder me in cold blood. I just about destroyed my laptop in vengeful fury at those ***holes. Death by human is more common than death by infected...that should tell you something. And btw, death is permanent in this s***. You die, that's it. I've spent 5 lives so far exploring/learning and those 4 hours was the longest I've survived. It's like a griefers paradise. If the zombie apocalypse is anything like this infuriating game I am f*** boned.
Still, it is a hyper-realistic zombie that has enthralled me and I can't stop respawning and trying my luck again. Shortest life was 15 minutes when I fell under the crosshairs of some random douchebag.
It's still in alpha, so hopefully they will invent some system to identify people who solely target human players. Then again, that may ruin the whole feel of the game, so I dunno. All i DO know is that this game has had an affect on me I haven't felt since playing Amnesia in the dark with 5.1 headphones on. GET THIS MOD.
GET IT.
NOW.
AND DON'T BE A JACKASS.

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

I've heard a lot of good things about Day Z. Sadly I don't own ArmaII.

alms24sebring
Car: '97 Nissan 240sx. First Nissan. First love. Sold.
'04 Nissan Sentra SER SpecV

In a closely related topic, read #6, its the first part.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-6-great ... =pulsenews

Its a great point and its what I think alot of people look for. This game sounds like it hit the nail directly on the head, but I dont like the people killers. I bet that would really happen in real life too... a**holes... Im just tired of seeing mutant zombies that are huge and/or smart with impossible weapons. Id much rather have a GTA battleground with thousands of regular zombies roaming around that are all the same than a few regulars and then get to stronger harder ones.

Soooo, I have to make an account to play? (I hate that)

RCA

EDIT: What's the best way to play DayZ? Should I DL the game from Amazon? Should I get it on Steam? What is the difference between ArmA II OC and ArmA II? Is OC a combo of ArmA 2 and ArmA AC? I am totally confused about how to play this mod.

Holy crap Scorced this game is f*** nuts!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_dVgaHeJx0[/youtube]

This is the 6th video in the series and his capture was done with a lossy format so the lighting is jacked up but it's intense.
He eventually stalks some players that he isn't sure are friendlies or not... I am enjoying just watching these things, never mind playing.

This is his first video. It's him and like 40 buddies and they decide to split up; in the 6th video he ends up with himself and 1 friend. This game is ruthless.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRpPIyJDSEQ

RCA

RCA wrote: EDIT: What's the best way to play DayZ? Should I DL the game from Amazon? Should I get it on Steam? What is the difference between ArmA II OC and ArmA II? Is OC a combo of ArmA 2 and ArmA AC? I am totally confused about how to play this mod.
Never mind...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ib73cBf_-Ys[/youtube]

orangeNblue
Car: 2008 Nissan 350z

seems like a pretty fun game....I don't have a PC that's good for gaming, but this makes it seem as tho I need one

I like the fact that it's realistic and you can treat it like its a real world event. I wouldn't kill people unless I was shot at first, but I like the concept of having to fend for yourself

s0m3th1ngAZ
2014 Focus ST

This is easily the best game to come out in 2012, and it's still in alpha phase!

alms24sebring

^^^ cool vids. I watched the forth one too. That guy was taking that game too seriously lol.

Looks really really cool tho. Stupid questions: is alpha just like the blueprints of the game, as in put together enough to be able to play it but not worried about graphics and gameplay?

RCA

alms24sebring wrote:is alpha just like the blueprints of the game, as in put together enough to be able to play it but not worried about graphics and gameplay?
Alpha is when the game is raw. It goes from ideas and theories to having a working model. The working model will see many, many changes before it even sees beta. Beta stage is kind of like a demo. Still has tons of bugs but it's almost done.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_r ... evelopment

s0m3th1ngAZ
2014 Focus ST

alms24sebring wrote:^^^ cool vids. I watched the forth one too. That guy was taking that game too seriously lol.

?
On the contrary, this is a game you need to take seriously in order to enjoy. No run and gunning with this bastard. My only problem is I don't have anyone to play with when I am available to play.

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

ScorchedNX2K wrote:
alms24sebring wrote:^^^ cool vids. I watched the forth one too. That guy was taking that game too seriously lol.
On the contrary, this is a game you need to take seriously in order to enjoy.
Agreed. The fact that he took it seriously was what made it fun to watch. And that's the type of game I enjoy specifically BECAUSE I can get into it and feel like I really do need to save this last round and this last bandage, because there's no telling what might happen next. Exploration is part of it, but the genuine risk is the biggest appeal here.

RCA

I have officially given up on this game.

I love online play but (for me at least) 90% of it is enjoying the experiences with others. I could spend 5 hours crouch walking from town-to-town avoiding zombies and players alike accumulating awesome loot but for what? To do the same thing the next time I play? No thanks. I have tried meeting new people in game but both times lead to my death. I want to give people the benefit of the doubt and think that all people are inherently good people but nope, haven't met one yet.

First time seeing another survivor he ran and dove prone into a bush. I ran up to him and made it obvious that I knew where he was and that I wan't a threat. I ran circles around him (no zombies near us) and checked the chat hoping he was trying to communicate. He didn't make an attempt to chat so I dove prone near him, making sure to face my gun in the opposite direction from him and began to chat, he shot me and I died.

Second time I was the edges of Chern and saw 2 or 3 guys running around some shipping trailers. Saw a guy shooting into one of them and helped out. He ran away and I investigated the trailer. I then heard shots, and the guy I originally help came back to help me out. In the corner of the trailer there was a bandit trying to take me out and my buddy took him out. So while he was looting the body I watched his back. Finally I decide to loot what he dropped. He then shoots me. My guess is that he wanted the revolver he dropped but I took it and instead of asking me for it, he shot me.

This game is in Alpha but until they get the communication portion of it fixed, I can't play this game. Not being able to communicate your intentions makes this game impossible.

TL;DR I have had my trust broken one too many times due to lack of in game communication.

EDIT:
I'm new to Steam/PC gaming, can someone explain to me what teamspeak is?

alms24sebring

RCA wrote:
alms24sebring wrote:is alpha just like the blueprints of the game, as in put together enough to be able to play it but not worried about graphics and gameplay?
Alpha is when the game is raw. It goes from ideas and theories to having a working model. The working model will see many, many changes before it even sees beta. Beta stage is kind of like a demo. Still has tons of bugs but it's almost done.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_r ... evelopment
Thanks, thats exactly what I assumed.

I dont know thats just how people are and probly will be when the real thing happens. Christ there were shotguns drawn after Katrina over clean water, surely there would be more blood spilled over a few bullets.

Anyways, I understand being careful and alert but he was a whiny annoying b***h. He ran away every time he saw a single zombie and left the others to die while screaming loudly at about a level 9, ok calm down, you need to be at about a level 5... No wonder he made it that far.

Game looks really fun but would prefer a beta to atleast have communication to randoms close by and other bug fixes.

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

RCA wrote:I want to give people the benefit of the doubt and think that all people are inherently good people
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!

HAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAH!!!

Oh, Lordy! GUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

Heh. Hahahahaha.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

s***, man.

I haven't had a laugh like that in DECADES.

s0m3th1ngAZ
2014 Focus ST

I agree broadcasting your speech over a realistic distance to other players would be a godsend (Would be a cool mechanic for Bandits too). And MoD-LoL to "all people are inherently good" comment.

RCA

DayZ Single Player
(for those who want to learn a bit before going out in MP) Install The game will save your progress if you select "Suspend" instead of "Abort". Enjoy!
MinisterofDOOM wrote:Hahahahaha.
I haven't had a laugh like that in DECADES.
I hate you :squint:
But seriously, what's the deal with team speak?
alms24sebring wrote:I dont know thats just how people are and probly will be when the real thing happens. Christ there were shotguns drawn after Katrina over clean water, surely there would be more blood spilled over a few bullets.
It's not the same. There are PLENTY of resources in DayZ and they spawn in the same places every 10-30 mins or so. During Katrina people didn't know where there next bottle of water would come from and so survival was a real issue. DayZ PvP is usually based on mistrust and time. It takes time and effort to get good loot and you don't want to lose that all of a sudden by someone you trusted. So survival isn't the issue, it's time.

stebo0728
Car: 1993 300ZX, White, T-Top

RCA:

TeamSpeak is a voice server/client. Used for communication, regardless of game. Its not tied to any game. There are other competitors too, such as Ventrillo, Mumble, etc..

Some games have their own in-game voice communication solutions, some are good, some blow. The general convention has become to ignore these, and go with what works. Most of these do require SOMEONE to pay a modest fee to keep the voice server going. Some may be free, IONO, but the main ones are paid services, ie TeamSpeak, Ventrillo, Mumble.

Enjin is a good guild/clan/group organization site, allows multi-game, is module driven, and at a certain subscription level, includes access to a mumble server.

In my opinion, Ive used only WoW ingame, TeamSpeak, and Ventrillo, and of these TeamSpeak is the best, but really, if you just want basic communication, they all work well.

Also, if you're hardcore, TeamSpeak and Ventrillo have mobile phone apps that let you get into the server via phone LOL, but seriously, they work well :)

EDIT: here for your convenience, is the TS download site http://www.teamspeak.com/?page=downloads

All you need is the voice server url, port number, and password if applicable and you can connect. The url and port should be together, <url>:<port> and then the password goes seperate. I recommend setting your sites up as bookmarks, so if you play with different groups, different games, guilds or whatever, you can connect the correct servers quickly

stebo0728

Oh, and, using a third party communications proggie is also useful so if your game server crashes, you can still have a collective b*tch fest about it while its being fixed :) Good times!

"Sh*t man my D3 just crashed, anyone elses too? Damn gonna play some ARMA right quick while its coming back up.......Hey guys is D3 back up yet?!?" LOL

Karner

I like zombie games. I often play Zombie Pandemic - http://zombiepandemic.com. Its a Browser Base game, so no need to install anything and it’s really great for time pass. It has cool missions. I play it whenever I got break at work :)

300ZXttZMAN
Car: 1990 300zx Twin Turbo 5 spd pearl white.

My Daily: 2008 Frontier NISMO package, 4x4 Crew Cab.

Wow this looks bad a**.

OP, is the game you posted free? All I have to do is download the various things it wants me to?? If its not free where exactly do I download it? I'm not very familiar with PC gaming but I would be down to buy it if I had to so we can get a group of us NICO club guys in there and survive for ever!!!

If so i'll start downloading as soon as I hear back from you.

300ZXttZMAN

I agree lol

RCA

300ZXttZMAN wrote:Wow this looks bad a**.

OP, is the game you posted free? All I have to do is download the various things it wants me to?? If its not free where exactly do I download it? I'm not very familiar with PC gaming but I would be down to buy it if I had to so we can get a group of us NICO club guys in there and survive for ever!!!

If so i'll start downloading as soon as I hear back from you.
It can be very tricky to setup.

What you need is this:
Arma 2 (video game)
Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead (dlc)
And then the free mod files from http://www.dayzmod.com

Arma 2 and Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead is usually bundled when you buy it. The combo pack is called Arma 2 Combined Ops (about $30). So if you go on Steam and buy the Arma 2 Combined Ops you will be good to go. Then what you need to do is research how to install the DayZ mod on your machine. The game is in alpha so many things change constantly, now they have a updated suite which I know nothing about but apparently get the new files for you.

I hope I helped clear up any confusion with getting started.

SBC 240Z

So help me god I'm going to build a pc for this game alone.

300ZXttZMAN

SBC 240Z wrote:So help me god I'm going to build a pc for this game alone.
LOL I need to get a PC then get this game. :yesnod

bigbadberry3

It's scarily addicting.

300ZXttZMAN

I bet. ^ It looks amazing.

How long did you survive?

RCA

SBC 240Z wrote:So help me god I'm going to build a pc for this game alone.
You don't really. I own a s*** pc, run the game @ 720p and get 25-30fps.

My PC runs Dual-Core Pentium E5200 and a ATi 5670. It was a $350-$400 about 4 years ago, so you can go out and by a combo system for about $400 to $550 and run DayZ @ 1080p @50+ fps.

EDIT: 1080p not 720p.
Last edited by RCA on Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigbadberry3

300ZXttZMAN wrote:I bet. ^ It looks amazing.

How long did you survive?
Moral of the story, I don't.

stebo0728

Installing now.....looks pretty good!

Return to “Gaming”