Quite a scare !!!

General discussion forum for J30 and M30 owners!
yodawill2000
Car: 94 Infiniti J30

My J has been rock solid as far as starting goes ..Turn the key and she purrs up ..

Saturday morning I get in and it just cranked away ..I had to floor the pedal then she started firing and finally came to life ??Just like it was flooded ..

Never happened before and hasnt happened since ??

any idea what might have happened ??

driverdriver
Car: NICO's longtime resident Canuck!!!

Did you take a short trip or a series of short trips the day before without properly warming up?

J's don't like short trips, especially a lot of turn-of and startups in a short timeframe. They exhibit what you described the day after.

A lot of us long-time J owners have experienced it.

yodawill2000

Nope .. Just my drive home from work ..About a 35 minute drive ..Weird..

driverdriver

The only other thing I could think off is fuel line freeze due to condensation, but that may not apply in Texas.

yodawill2000

Hmmm ...Its been a foggy mutha the last few days ...Could there maybe have been condensation inside the fuel rail ??Wouldnt think so .I got confused because there wasnt the usual black cloud when you finally get a flooded motor running

Big Tone
Car: 1993 Infiniti J30

I had an issue with my car not wanting to start a few months ago when it first started getting cold. The starter would crank, but it didn't seem to catch and would just make a nasty screeching-type noise. On the second or third attempt it would start. Since then there haven't been any problems and the weather has fluctuated in Chicago this year.

I still don't know what the problem was and can't attribute it stopping to anything in particular. I've switched from BP to Shell, added a K&N air filter, started using synthetic (Mobil 1 5W30, which reminds me...new thread coming!), and add an oil and gas treatment (can't remember which, not Dura Lube but the other one!) to my car after each oil change. It might be one of these things or a combination of all of them that have stopped the starting issue.

driverdriver

Big Tone wrote:I had an issue with my car not wanting to start a few months ago when it first started getting cold. The starter would crank, but it didn't seem to catch and would just make a nasty screeching-type noise. On the second or third attempt it would start. Since then there haven't been any problems and the weather has fluctuated in Chicago this year.
That sounds like the common "J30 flywheel having lost teeth problem". I lived with it for a year after I had it first diagnosed some years ago. It'll get worse over time. When the screeching gets really bad or the starting takes awhile get the flyplate and starter on the J30 replaced. The teeth on the flywheel seems to detrioate over time due to the onset of "metal fatigue".

brandonjustice93J30
Car: 1993 Infiniti J30

mine does that too every once in a while...now I know what I'm looking into replacing one of these days

Return to “J30 Forum / M30 Forum”