Questions regarding M45 ownership (about the Y34)

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
gniknave
Car: 2000 Audi A6 2.8 Quattro
2008 Honda Civic EX (Sedan)

For all the guys and gals that own an 03-04 M45, I have a few questions.

I'm planning to purchase one in the very near future and want to know what you like/dislike about yours.

Would you purchase it again if you had the chance?

Is there a car out there you'd rather have?

What kind of servicing have you done on it that wasn't exactly routine?

Do you know of any places to find mods? [looking for suspension type stuff]

Is comfort an issue when you drive this car on a daily basis?

Between an F50 Q45 (02-present Q) and Y34, I can get either around $20k. Would you suggest going for the Q or the Y34?

I have driven these cars before when I was selling for Infiniti, but I know nothing about the actual ownership of one. I do remember it being quick, but I don't remember it being as smooth on the road as the Q45 [F50] is. However I don't think it was meant to be either.

Input from the owners of these cars is greatly appreciated!

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

My comments are inre the 2003 m45 I have.

Power. Uniqueness of exterior looks. Price (what I paid was amazingly low). Inside quality (compared to the similar priced G35 Coupe ... at that time.)

Dislikes:

Rear seats cramped compared to Q. Slight squeaks in body. Handling not perfect (the new M sets the bar!) Oil consumption (although mine is low!

Would I buy it again?

Yis, in a heartbeat. Although I might get the new M instead - now that it is available. I still prefer the unique looks of the exterior of the 2003/4, but the interior of the new M is way superior.

Special servicing

Well, I do more than normal stuff to make sure that any car I own lasts a long time. See my thread on overkill!

Daily comfort

Not a problem, front seats are well done. Better than my 1995 Q45 and equal to or better than my 1991 Q45.

Mods and comparison to F50

Stiffer suspension, so the ride on the highway is a bit harsher for sure. Accelerates harder (remember to turn off the VDC!). Better handling than the F50 on curves. Not sure if you can find any mods!

Z

gniknave

Thanks for the response Z.

When you said the rear seats lack space compared to the Q, do you mean the F50 or G50? I do remember it being less roomy than the F50, but I think it might be the same or a bit more roomy back there than the G50.

What kinds of 'sqeaks in the body' do you mean? I hope it's not too bad, things like that annoy me to no end.

How much oil does your M consume per change, and what is the production date (if you don't mind me asking)?

What type of oil do you use and how often do you change it?

BJB
Car: 2006 M45

Would you purchase it again if you had the chance?

I just traded my '03 M in for a new M. I don't have any complaints about the car. I didn't sit in the back seat and I rarely had anyone in the back, so the legroom was never an issue for me. Unlike some, I bought the care in spite of its exterior looks. I was never very found of the body. I bought it because of the performance/handling and interior.

Is there a car out there you'd rather have?

No. I think that apples to apples, this is the best car you can buy.

What kind of servicing have you done on it that wasn't exactly routine?

For my three years of ownership, I did not do anything repairs/maintenance outside of scheduled maintenance.

Do you know of any places to find mods? [looking for suspension type stuff]

No.

Is comfort an issue when you drive this car on a daily basis?

Absolutely not. As long as you are not expecting it to ride like a Lincoln Towncar. The car has a firm, but comfortable ride.

Between an F50 Q45 (02-present Q) and Y34, I can get either around $20k. Would you suggest going for the Q or the Y34?

For me it would be an M.

Are you sure about the 20K. I just saw my lease turn in on the lost for 28K and it was a base model? If have no idea, just asking.

gniknave

Thanks for the input BJB.

Yes I'm sure about the 20k, for 2 reasons.

1. There's two of them on EBay right now at that price for buy it now, and there's usually a new one there every week around that price.

2. I'll actually be working for Infiniti when I buy it. It'll just be a matter of one showing up on our lot.

szh

Ev_eezy wrote:Thanks for the response Z.
You are welcome!
Ev_eezy wrote:When you said the rear seats lack space compared to the Q, do you mean the F50 or G50? I do remember it being less roomy than the F50, but I think it might be the same or a bit more roomy back there than the G50.
Comparable to the G50 and less than the F50. Slightly less wide too than the F50, so that makes the seating just the slightest bit narrower.
Ev_eezy wrote:What kinds of 'sqeaks in the body' do you mean? I hope it's not too bad, things like that annoy me to no end.
Minor things. The external body squeaks, cannot hear them inside really since the car is well sealed, particularly with the stereo on. The inside dash had some squeaks that needed multiple visits to the dealer to get it out - recurs periodically. The 2004 F50 that my boss has, does not exhibit this at all.

I have a recurring left body side squeak (external ... cannot hear inside) that has yet to be eliminated.
Ev_eezy wrote:How much oil does your M consume per change, and what is the production date (if you don't mind me asking)?
My 2003 M goes through about half-quart every oil change at 3750 miles. Production date was late 2002 as I recall.

EDIT: I add oil approximately halfway through the 3750 interval ... about 1/4 quart or so. Since the oil gets changed at 3750 miles, I don't add anything then ... the half-quart per 3750 miles mentioned here is thus an estimate, of course.
Ev_eezy wrote:What type of oil do you use and how often do you change it?
First miles was regular 10W-40 Castrol GTX - including more than regular oil changes (my overkill approach). Since the 11,250 mark, it has been fed a regular diet of Mobil 1 0W-40 every 3750 miles - even at the regular visits to the dealer for the 15000, 22500, etc. stuff.

New oil filters at every change too, of course.

Z

TxGuy67
Car: 1993 G20; 1996 J30; 2003 M45; 2007 G35; 2008 M35; Hopefully 2006 Q45

I leased my 03 in October of 03. December 02 build date.Walked in to buy a G35 drove an M end of story.Cosmetic problems from day 1: headlight covers fogged; drivers side mirror blurry; scratched metal door panels; All replaced except headlight covers.

The body style sold me even before I drove it. The 4.5 V8 eliminated any doubts in my mind. It's a rough ride but it's supposed to be.

The front seats are great but back seat legroom is cramped. As far as "extra service" well the short block is being replaced as I type this (1 quart per 1000 miles was being consumed).

I would Love to buy a 2004 and keep it until well you know.

Good Luck!

szh

TxGuy67 wrote:I leased my 03 in October of 03. December 02 build date.Walked in to buy a G35 drove an M end of story.
Same with me!

Happened in September of 2003 for me.

Z

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”