Questions about towing with my 2007 armada??

A forum for the Nissan Armada, Infiniti QX56, and beginning in 2014, the Infiniti QX80
connor06

I know that if the armada's come with the towing package they have the auto leveling which allow you to tow 4200KG (9000lbs) and if you dont have the tow package and throw your own hitch on its only go for 3000kg (6500lbs).

My question is, since i dont have the tow package(auto leveling) can i have after market suspension air bags installed on the rear and get the 4200kg of towing capacity?

Basicly, if the only dif between the tow package and not having the tow package is the auto leveling, then an aftermarket level device(air bags) should give me the extra towing capacity, right???????

any advice is greatly appriciated!thanks!

Timmbo
Car: 2013 Infiniti JX35 AWD & 2013 Nissan Maxima Sport Pkg

That is one intense question, I will let you know when I find an answer for you. I thought there might also be an oil cooling system as well with the tow pkg, but I am not sure. I will keep you posted.

connor06

thanks Timmbo,

i appreciate your help.

aramda08

have you tried adding the airbags from firestone or airlift

aramda08

did you fine out angthing

overdalimit
Car: 04 QX56

The auto-leveling system has no bearing concerning the towing capacity. That just aids in keeping the vehicle level while towing and under heavy load conditions. The class hitch size, vehicle chassis, and drivetrain is what determines your towing capacity. The Armada, and QX56 both have the same powertrain so towing capacity is the same. Manufacturers consider "towing package" as a manufacture installed hitch (frame mounted) and wiring system, which has the provision for a brake controller pre-wired under the dash. I would go out and purchase a class IV hitch and have the wiring kit (6way flat plug on truck) installed and now you'd have the towing package. Don't think about towing big trailers with these vehicles without installing a Electronic brake control. The brake systems aren't sufficient and rotor warpage will result.

I have a 04 Qx56 and often pull a 16 foot utility trailer and just purchased a brake controller for my truck and QX56 (Tekonsha P3). Same controller for both trucks but I bought a quick release holder so I can move the controller from truck to SUV.

These vehicles pull a hell of a load. I towed my trailer with a pickup truck on the back and hardly knew it was back there other than the harsher ride over bumps. You can forget about good fuel economy though, LOL

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

According to the NissanUSA package description, the Tow Package consists of: * 9,100 lbs. (4x2)/9,000 lbs. (4x4) maximum towing capacity* Tow receiver hitch* Lower final gear ratio* 7-pin wiring harness* Trailer brake pre-wiring* Transmission temperature gauge* Heavy-duty battery* Auto-leveling rear suspension (Standard on LE)

So there are more (and more important) components added by the Tow Package than just the auto-level.The big things are the lower final-drive and the trans temp monitor.If you're planning to make your Armada more tow-worthy, I'd consider doing the following:-Get a bigger aftermarket transmission cooler (which I would consider even if the truck already had the tow package, just for extra security)-Get a transmission temperature gauge-Check with the dealer about getting the tow-purposed rear end (which dictates final-drive ratio) installed. They'll also need to tell the ECM to compensate for the new ratio (or your odometer and speedometer will read high).The beefier battery is also something to look into, although not necessary if what you're towing only has basic trailer lights.

Also, the load-bearing capacity of your new suspension is perhaps the new weak link of the Armada's towing capabilities. I'd make sure the airbags can support the stock tongue weight ratings. It's very possible they do (airbags can be really tough, semis use them) but it's always good to know beforehand.

Timmbo
Car: 2013 Infiniti JX35 AWD & 2013 Nissan Maxima Sport Pkg

MinisterofDOOM wrote:According to the NissanUSA package description, the Tow Package consists of: * 9,100 lbs. (4x2)/9,000 lbs. (4x4) maximum towing capacity* Tow receiver hitch* Lower final gear ratio* 7-pin wiring harness* Trailer brake pre-wiring* Transmission temperature gauge* Heavy-duty battery* Auto-leveling rear suspension (Standard on LE)

So there are more (and more important) components added by the Tow Package than just the auto-level.The big things are the lower final-drive and the trans temp monitor.If you're planning to make your Armada more tow-worthy, I'd consider doing the following:-Get a bigger aftermarket transmission cooler (which I would consider even if the truck already had the tow package, just for extra security)-Get a transmission temperature gauge-Check with the dealer about getting the tow-purposed rear end (which dictates final-drive ratio) installed. They'll also need to tell the ECM to compensate for the new ratio (or your odometer and speedometer will read high).The beefier battery is also something to look into, although not necessary if what you're towing only has basic trailer lights.

Also, the load-bearing capacity of your new suspension is perhaps the new weak link of the Armada's towing capabilities. I'd make sure the airbags can support the stock tongue weight ratings. It's very possible they do (airbags can be really tough, semis use them) but it's always good to know beforehand.
Thanks for the input! I appreciate it!

Return to “Armada Forum / QX56 Forum / QX80 Forum”