Questions about Titan CV's

Covering the 2003-2015 first-gen and 2016+ Titan and Titan XD lineup
SixGuns
Car: '04 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4x4

Hey guys, I'm from over in the Pathfinder/QX4 board but I got a couple questions that I thought I'd get to you guys...Gonna be fabricating a long travel suspension for my '04 Pathfinder (I know, unibodies suck....but making it rigid is gonna be half the fun) and I'm leaning toward Titan CV's, rather than popping $2k for new longer, high angle ones specifically made for the Pathfinder. So, first off, has anyone measured them? How long are the Titan half shafts from hub to diff? And I looked on the "everything you need to know about Nissan axles", but didn't see anything for the Titan...Basically, I'm looking to rape a Titan and do a transplant on my R50. Rear axle (extend my 4-link setup w/ coilovers), spindles, CV's. Probably make my own upper and lower control arms, but am considering using at least the stock Titan lower. Any problems with the rear end on these trucks? I've heard they're kinda weak and some guys have blown their diffs with stock hp. I'd rather not have to invest the time and money into a Ford 9", so if the Titan rear can handle what I'm gonna throw at it, good enough (240 hp, 265 lb/ft tq - will be running prerunner terrain, eventually). And also, what's the most someone's lifted a 4x4 Titan without relocating the front diff while not killing their front driveshafts? Any help someone could throw in there would be awesome. Thanks, guys!

Desert Rat
Car: 2014 370Z M6 Base Coupe
2017 Frontier 4.0
2007 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Quad Cab 4x4
1977 F150 4x4 Shorty BUILT
2008 Boulevard C90T
Previous owner of a bunch of Nissans

Nothing will come close to bolting in - you're talking 100% fab here. Titan parts mount to a ladder frame, and you have a unibody with a McPherson strut type front suspension. The axle housing will be too wide for your unibody frame rails - specifically the diff - it'll be right at the frame rail instead of being inboard of it.

The gears in a Titan axle will also be taller, meaning less low end grunt. The strength is probably OK for what you're considering, but you're going to need considerable lift for clearance everywhere.

Not trying to talk you out of this, but nothing is remotely close to being interchangeable between an R50 and a Titan.

All that said, you CAN do this swap on a 2005+ Frontier or Xterra (at least in the front anyways). Titan pieces will bolt in to one of these since they share the same platform.

the existing rear axle in you Q is arguable a stronger axle already than what's in the Titan. It's a 33 spline H233B with a 9.25" ring gear.

SixGuns
Car: '04 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4x4

I know nothing will bolt up...I'll be fabricating the mounts off the subframe, completely custom, since, as you said, the stock front end is a strut set up and I'll be converting to an upper control arm. Yeah, the rear end will be too wide for the rails, but that's the whole point - to gain 8" of overall width to the stance, so I can allow for more suspension travel without damaging the front shafts. And as a plus, it will be better set at higher speeds. I was hoping someone would tell me I was wrong and the Titan rear end was stronger than sh*t...Guess it's gonna be a 9", then. So, technical difficulties aside, anyone have an answer as far as the length/max lift on the front axles?

Return to “Nissan Titan Forum”