Questions about timing kit parts and oil pumps

Information on the naturally-aspirated KA24E and KA24DE engines.
zmannz
Car: 89 s13 coupe- track car
92 s13 coupe- dd

Hey guys, I have a 95 s14 I just picked to dd for the time it takes to build my other car. It's an AT with about 194k and it has been babied. No mods, and I knew the last two owners. It ran great at first but quickly developed an issue with the fuel system (now fixed with a 255) and then the coil in the dizzy (new one on there now). I was driving it again after this, and now the waterpump is leaking. I have decided to go ahead and hit the front end of the motor with everything it needs while I am doing the water pump. I plan to replace the timing chain and associated parts and the water pump while in there.

All the quality recommended timing kits include a chain, tensioners, and guides. For some reason all the cheap ones also include the gears. Do I really need to replace the timing gears too? The chain and gears in mine appear to be in great shape. I am looking at spending right under 500 for the oil pump and timing kit from FRsport as it is, and adding the gears would easily be a few hundred more dollars. I can buy a whole extra motor and trans with only 120k miles for 600 that would only need a water pump for piece of mind.

Another place I found that intrigued me was importperformanceparts.net. They have oil pump rebuild kits, and they also sell high volume new pumps. The timing kits there have the gears and run 250, and they are top line brand which I have been told is good, BUT that kit includes the rail that nissan has since discontinued for the ka24de. All in all I can get the oil and water pump and the timing kit there for 600 including a high volume oil pump. They also have rebuild kits for the oil pump but honestly I am a little skeptical about that unless I hear its as reliable as buying a new one. The motor hasn't failed so I suppose the existing pump housing is in pretty good shape. I get good oil pressure all the time. anyway, I am ordering this stuff today, I would love some input about which way to go. Thanks in advance!

zmannz
92 s13 coupe- dd

Well, for now, I am just going to buy another motor with less miles, I can get it and a waterpump for it for less than the cost of the parts for mine, AND I get to complete my 5 speed swap now! I should now have a car to drive this winter while I get my bmw done. Then I will be able to drift either this s14 or my '13. I tell you, I wonder more and more why I bother posting questions in forums.

-RJ-
Car: S13 Convertible, 99 Frontier, 03 Sportage, 96 Protege

Why not I say. There is nothing wrong with the pursuit of knowledge

zmannz
92 s13 coupe- dd

I spill paragraphs of relevant info about my problems and rarely get responses that are helpful. It seems most folks would rather flame someone for not asking a good question or having poor grammar than actually putting any thought into the real issues the forum is here to discuss.

-RJ-
Car: S13 Convertible, 99 Frontier, 03 Sportage, 96 Protege

It could be that nobody knows perhaps

zmannz
92 s13 coupe- dd

lol I have never found an issue that beat me yet, but it would be nice if sometimes someone else had seen the same and knew what to do before I got there. I will quit complaining now. I m just going replace my guides and clean the tensioners. I have a new water pump and belts to put on. I will at least be driving it again today. I am going to get the timing kit from frsport for my supercharged motor build when the time comes and just use the low miles gears that came with it with a new chain and see what happens.

92 hbody
Car: 1992 Nissan Hardbody 4x4

You mentioned there was a timing kit for sale? What does that include, and how do u get additional timing out of these motors? I didnt see any weights or springs etc like in a chevy... is it really just adjusting initial timing and thats it??? Also, the oil pump rebuild kit, is it supposed to be for oem, or does it upgrade the pressure/output of the initial pump?

Return to “KA24E / KA24DE Forum”