Questions about the AWD system in the 2012 Infiniti M37...

A place to discuss the systems and methods of tuning Nissan engines.
NoTalentLoser

I recently purchased a 2012 Infiniti M37X (with AWD) and am waiting to have it delivered next week. I have read about how Infiniti's AWD system technically operates as a RWD system by default and only activates the front AWD components whenever the computer detects rear tire slippage. However, I'm confused as to exactly how the power is distributed between the front and rear components of the car. Some people say that the car operates as a purely 100% (I.e., 0:100 ratio) RWD system until the AWD components are activated. However, others have said that the car delivers power in a 75:25 ratio to the rear and front components while the car is driving at speeds of up to 25 MPH.

Does anyone know which explanation is correct?

I'm kind of hoping that the car operates as a 100% RWD system by default since I'm starting to get a bit apprehensive about having to potentially look forward to replacing the front driveshaft, CV joints, etc. in a few years, which (based on what I've read here on the forums) are commonly known for failing & needing to be replaced on the older AWD G35X/M35X models. Now, I understand that the G35X/M35X were first generation sedans and that I have a second generation M37, but I'm still wary about encountering the same AWD-related issues and having to spend serious $$$ to replace these components.

I actually live in the southeast and it almost never snows here, so if the AWD system does, in fact, function exclusively as an RWD system in normal driving conditions, then would it be correct to presume that I likely won't ever wear-out any of the AWD components (since they should hypothetically never be activated)?

(not sure if this is the best forum to post this in, but it's the closest one I could find for engine/drivetrain questions)

Return to “Engine Tuning”