question re seats in a 720

1980-1986 Datsun 720 forums. All 720-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
twenty
Car: Kingcab 720

still working on getting my ute on road and have another question. At some stage someone has swapped out my seats for non standard items that dont bolt into the right holes in the floor, so i have to find a seat that came out in a 720.

I have found a bench from a 81 4x4 single cab. This bench has a hole in the middle for the shifter. Will this bench seat bolt up into the factory floor holes on my 84 Kingcab?

Thanks Glenn

breadbox
Car: Red 89 240sx,Black 89 Koop, White 84 720 4x4KC

Ias far as I remember all 720s had mounts for both style seats, but everyone pretty much hates the bench, and there are options.

zerothread/455778

twenty

i agree the bench isn't a good option, and i have read that thread before. But the problem in australia is your seats have to bolt into the factory locations or you have to go through engineering, which determine's if your modifications are safe, and yes new holes drilled in the floor count as modifications.

From that thread the only option would be the MR2 seats which sound like you only need to drill the hole out a little on the seat and they will go into the factory location which would be perfect.

Basically at the moment im trying to get my car registered as cheap as possible, once on road i can make a few of these insignificant modifications.

twenty

anyone have a photo of the mounting points on a Bench seat so i can double check the fitment in my ute?

twenty

alright i have my seats out again, this is the passenger side, RHD model. you can see where the factory hole's are and where someone else has drilleda set for a wider seat. and also spots for the seat belt bolt down.

all i need to know is, will a bench seat bolt into these location?

flinterman2000
Car: 2000 Nissan Wingroad, 85 Datsun 720 Pick Up.

Yep the bench bolts in the inner hole in the pic.

desertsage
Car: 1981 Datsun 720 4x4

I read in another 720 forum that seats from a Honda CRX will bolt right in. While looking for those, I came across the seats from a '93 Honda Accord posted on Craigs list for $30. They were in great shape and even had lumbar adjustment. Anyway, some of the bolt holes lined right up but I had to drill a few holes and fabricate two small brackets out of steel bar stock that I got at Lowes. The conversion was not very difficult. It was totally worth the afternoon spent and small change to have very comfortable seats and nice fabric.

I understand the concern someone posted about the safety of the modified seat set-up. I opted to retain the stock seat belt set-up using the factory belt mounting points. There was no need to alter the belt set-up at all as they are independent of the seats. For the two seat bolt holes that I did have to drill through the floor pan (one on each lower inside) I used large washers on both sides to spread out the possible forces there. I don't claim to be an engineer, though so do this at your own risk.

The seats have the correct angle and the seat backs are nicely adjustable for comfort.

flinterman2000
Car: 2000 Nissan Wingroad, 85 Datsun 720 Pick Up.

I ain't no genius either but here's what I did to use the original bolt holes

They may look weak, but they hold all of my 112KG. They are 1" X 1/4" flat steel. For the front I drilled the hole inside and used the original bolt hole for the outer bolt.

Return to “Datsun 720”