question re: H190 differential/axles

Here you'll find topics regarding the Datsun B210, 310, 610, 710, 810, 1200, and lots of other models - All are welcome!
continental_drift
Car: 1991 240sx coupe - in progress - zeal function V6, ssr formula reverse, trust SP. more to come.

my 200sx uses a H190 with 23 spline axles, some of the datsun/nissan trucksuse an H190 with 29 spline axles.

I've found a clutch type LSD made for the trucks with H190 rear ends,what do I have to do to adapt it to my 200sx's rear end? is it possible?do I have to use the other axles? do you think that will be possible usingthe stock 200sx diff carrier? if anyone has any info, I'd reallllly appreciatehearing from you.

thanks.

Bandit240
Car: 1980 Datsun 720 King Cab

Well if the 200SX has IRS it wont work. All Datsun/Nissan trucks have soild rear axles. There is s Subaru rear diff that will work in Datsun/Nissan cars, but i dont know what it is off the top of my head.

continental_drift
Car: 1991 240sx coupe - in progress - zeal function V6, ssr formula reverse, trust SP. more to come.

Bandit240 wrote:Well if the 200SX has IRS it wont work. All Datsun/Nissan trucks have soild rear axles. There is s Subaru rear diff that will work in Datsun/Nissan cars, but i dont know what it is off the top of my head.
it is solid (live) axle, so it does not have IRS. I've heard about the subaru lsd,but I was under the impression that only works for IRS.

so in knowing that my 200sx has solid rear, what do you think about the 23vs 29 spline axles, and as far as the differential carrier?

also, a quick question... the dogleg tranny that came in S10 chassis 200sx,I know it is sought after by 510 guys, but what are the advantages of thedogleg shift? I'm not sure if I understand correctly... but dogleg means itdoes not use a clutch to shift... its like, viscous shift?? anyways, you knowbetter than I do, thats why I ask.

thanks bandit, appreciate the help. any info about the rear end would behelpful... I'm really trying to avoid going with a welded diff.

continental_drift

well now I'm really confused because my haynes manual is telling me it isa h165b differential on the 1980 model...

this is frustrating, this sucker might just get the weldlock.

Turbo 510

From my understanding the H190 in the truck and the 200SX are not compatible. The 2002 Nissan comp book will give you more insight as to their differences. The H165 is a totally different animal. I would put tons of power into it or you may have a large mishap.The "dog leg" 200SX tranny is somewhat sought after by some 510 guys because it bolts into a L powered 510 in place of the stock 4 speed without any modifications. The "dog leg" refers to the shift pattern meaning the first is where a "normal" transmission's second gear would be. Reverse is where 1st would normally be. There are fewer and fewer L powered 510's around since most upgrade to something alittle more modern in the powertrain department. Most that do also opt for the better Z or KA transmission since a shortened and rebalanced driveshaft is not that big of a deal in the big picture of modifications.

continental_drift

thank you, thats great information! any idea how a h165 would hold upwith a KA? i figure the power has to be similar to a n/a FJ, and the RS2000s110 came with a n/a FJ.

Return to “Other Datsun Cars”