Question on tire pressures

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
RogueGuy45
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

I decided to finally check the tire pressures on my new Rogue and was surprised to find 45+ PSI in each tire

I looked on the label on near the drivers door and it says the recommended tire pressure is 33psi front and the same for the back.

I bled the pressures down to 35 psi.

Does anyone know why they would have pumped them up that high?

lou from ny

were the tires warm? did you recently take the car for a drive?

always check tire pressure on cool tires. heat makes them expand and pressure go up.

if they were cold, then maybe they inflated them when hot as well. who knows...the important thing is you fixed the problem

lou

philipa_240sx

The tires on my Rogue were inflated to the same 45psi when I took delivery.

Some have suggested the tires may be purposely inflated to their max pressure at the factory... presumably to avoid flat spots in the tire when the vehicle is parked for extended periods of time. I have not confirmed this however.

Likely in both our cases, the dealer failed to check the tire pressure on delivery and adjust it as needed.

RO-G
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

On delveiry day, my tires were set at 33psi as per spec but I adjusted them to 35psi after a day. Now I set them at 37psi for better fuel economy.

RogueGuy45
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

philipa_240sx wrote:The tires on my Rogue were inflated to the same 45psi when I took delivery.

Some have suggested the tires may be purposely inflated to their max pressure at the factory... presumably to avoid flat spots in the tire when the vehicle is parked for extended periods of time. I have not confirmed this however.

Likely in both our cases, the dealer failed to check the tire pressure on delivery and adjust it as needed.
That makes sense, I was actually thinking that as I was letting the air out that it's probably easier for the dealer prep to let air out instead of pumping them up if needed. It's too bad they couldnt' even do that properly but that's life, if you want something right, check it yourself.

And the tires were cold when I checked them but that's is good advice, never adjust hot tire pressures.

Topper1
Car: 2014 Nissan Rogue S

When I took possession of my Rogue the Dunlop Tire pressure was 51 psi in each tire. The recommendation on car post was 33 psi but on the tires they showed 51 psi maximum. I bled them down to 33psi. Sure made a big difference in the ride.

pawprint
Car: 2012 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL w/technology package

Topper1 wrote:The recommendation on car post was 33 psi but on the tires they showed 51 psi maximum. I bled them down to 33psi. Sure made a big difference in the ride.
Mine are also at 33 psi per the place card in the driver’s door.

Personally I think 33 psi is too low, but Nissan must know more than me since they chose 33. I sometimes wonder if the 33 is for ride comfort – or safety. Probably a combination of both...

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

I personally do 37 pounds as I have done with my maxima back in the day for 16 years.

Actually I am a little off for the rogue but its by routine. How I usually do it is we all know that most tires are 44 PSI maximum for certain weight on board. Well lets say its 33 recommended by manufactuer on side placard.

And the difference of 44 and 33 is 11 PSI. So I divide 11 PSI by 2 which makes it 5.5. Well I round it off for the hell of it. SO its now 6 PSI. Well I add that to recommended 33 and get 39 PSI. Well I am presently using 37 PSI out of pure habit. Never had problems so I am keeping it that way. But the point is since 44 PSI is the maximum. I tend to meet the midpoint between the recommended placard inflation pressure and the maximum recommended pressure on the tire.

Hence no matter what we chose 33, 37, 39 PSI. THEY are All in the allowable tire pressure range. Mind you, I am not expert just using common sense thinking from a layman's view. It's like using reg, medium, or premium gas. They all allowable.

I tend to think 33 PSI looks soft. Heck even 37 PSI looks visually soft to me that I try to keep feeling the tire so see if its too soft.

Ride is fine for my taste.

Anyways, happy inflating!

Modified by casperfun at 3:06 AM 1/15/2010

philipa_240sx

This is why I hate TPMS systems. It only causes confusion and many drivers will just ignore it. The system was mandated by the US gov't as part of the TREAD act and IMHO was not thought out carefully enough.

The mfg's (tires and autos) wanted a better system and it's well documented in the official transcripts/hearings. But a simpler system was adopted that does not compensate for altitude and barometric pressure changes. Hence we get a lot of false readings and drivers just start ignoring them... it's the 'Boy Who Cried Wolf' syndrome.

I will be removing mine permanently come spring. Although I do not recommend doing this, TPMS is not mandated in Canada so there does not seem to be any legal implications. In the US however, it's a bit of a grey area as safety systems ie. airbags, TPMS, etc., are federally mandated and you are not supposed to tamper with them.

ccv55
Car: 2012 Nissan Rogue

they did that to me also with 2 new front tires.
filled to 40 , and on my way home the squabble or sqobble was so bad i almost couldnt drive it.

they probably do it to get the tire balanced as best they could and have it ride even on the rim
because its new.

however,

i cant drive with the front tires that high on 40 because they are slushy and bounce side to side ,
left and right .

i keep them at about 36 ,
plus by the time you release the filler hose anyway, it will be at 34-35
while your going for 36 .

every tire is different also.
you need to use best judgment within the recommended which is 33 , and see whats best for you .
if yours bounces side to side too much, go with about 34-35 . that way your splitting the difference,
not to hard, not too soft .

Vman62
Car: 2023 Nissan Rogue SV

Cars without pressure sensors can still implement a TPMS via the traction control system. A tire with low pressure will have a consistently higher rotation rate due to the tire being flatter.

When they prepped my Rogue for delivery, they just put all the tires at 37, ignoring the carefully considered recommendation of the manufacturer.

Return to “Rogue Forum”