Question for my currently overseas DOD

Including Japan, Australia, Canada, and others.
Blackbob
Car: 05' M6 GTO

I have a question for my currently overseas military guys( Navy,Army,Airforce,Marines ). I'm looking to go back overseas as my PRD is closely approaching for here in VA.

For the guys stationed in places like Germany,Italy,Korea,Japan ( particularly Japan ). How many of you brought your p.o.v or didn't and later met someone who did and wish you did ? Now I know in Japan from what I read and told it's an expensive legnthy process. But I know it can be done becuase I've seen u.s. plated cars driving around last time I was there in port. Not to mention SEVERAL Mustangs. I remeber seeing a fox,96 GT,and a 03 GT all in Yoko with base stickers.

Now I know like Guam if I say waited to try and get one there. It be an arm and a leg and not be what it's worth. What I want is to talk to someone whose actually gone through te process. I've read the instructions an gotten the "It's so expensive speach" but no one that has actually done it. I keep hearing about people who know people and apparently Multiple people who done it. But I can't seem to meet or talk to these poeple.

So that and I would also like to know about other places as well. I'm about to build the car,but,not going to bother if I will be having to ditch it in a few months.

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

Don't do it. The hoops you have to jump through are ridiculous. TMO gives less than a s*** about your car and will show you how much when you pick it up. Host country inspection protocols are hard and some guys never get their rides in compliance and they just sit for their tour here. When it's all said and done you get to play the game all over again. Not at all worth it. Park the car with someone who will start it up regular and drive it enough to keep it from getting crusty and get to it when you head back to CONUS. Just my $.02.

Blackbob

What is TMO and did this happen to you ? Also,what was the reason they could not meet specs and what where they ?

themadscientist

Traffic Management Office, the bastards that break and lose stuff for PCSing Marines. Based on your location, I'm guessing you are Navy? I don't know what they call the section that moves stuff.
I have friends who had horror stories; I never tried it. Bikes going missing for over a year, trying to sell ones to people PCSing out because they are never going to be able to register them in Japan. One guy was watching the crate with his CBX being lowered to the dock when the bottom of the crate gave way dumping the bike onto the dock from about 12 feet in the air. One guy had to torch the traction bars off his Camaro to pass inspection. On and on.

A little nightmare scenario for you.
http://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-4th-circuit/1279042.html

Blackbob

O ok,
We call it Personal Property office and no I have not had anything like that happen. I have lived overseas before and shipped a car before twice and never had that issue. Also had several friends ship cars overseas as well and no issues getting it there or back. Torching track bars I can understand since it is not OE parts. My questions are what are they looking for during these inspections so I could have a heads up. Which is why I'm looking for someone whose done it since they would have found out during the inspection.

themadscientist

There are clearance rules, 9cm at the lowest point if memory serves. They will give you crap about the headlights pointing to the wrong side. They do an emissions and noise check, standard stuff.

Blackbob

themadscientist wrote:There are clearance rules, 9cm at the lowest point if memory serves. They will give you crap about the headlights pointing to the wrong side. They do an emissions and noise check, standard stuff.
Headlights pointing to the wrong side ? lol,well no much I can do about that but I can do my best to center them before I leave I suppose. Noise is easy,As long as it has t he factory mid pipe on and a whisper quite cat-back. I'm sure I'll be fine. I going to put coil overs on the car to have ride height adjustable. Then again,I don't think it's lower then 9cm now.

sicwitit
Car: part fabricator

OMG!!! I just spent an 45 min typing a reply, and id didnt post for some reason! I litterly types a short novel explaining every little step I had to take with my IS300, and bringing it to Yokota AB. I'll retype it a little later, I need a breakfast brake now.

Blackbob

sicwitit wrote:OMG!!! I just spent an 45 min typing a reply, and id didnt post for some reason! I litterly types a short novel explaining every little step I had to take with my IS300, and bringing it to Yokota AB. I'll retype it a little later, I need a breakfast brake now.

lol, sucks man and take your time,I'll be here, Also,use word pad and then just copy and paste it. After you save it of course.

sicwitit

I've done this process for Japan, and I'll explane it as simply as possible.

If your going to mainland Japan, then the process will be expensive, but relatively easy. If your going to be stationed on Okinawa, it will be much harder, and even more expensive, at least $2K-3K more.

So, we will start by assuming you have already dropped your car off in the US with a transporter, and have already PCS's to Japan.

Make sure before you PCS, you have all documents possible that came with the car (owners manual) and registration/title

Once you get to your duty location, go to TMO, you need a Japanese customs clearance letter. They should have examples to help you fill it out. Also, it will need to be typed, so you will need to find an old style type writter, or word processer. hand written applications will be turned away. Once your done typing it, mail it using the Japanese mail system (1 week wait time) USPS will take over 1 month to deliver it, and ship it back to you.

once you have the customs paperwork back (if you did it right when you get on station) your car should be arriving at Yokohama North dock (U.S. Army installation)

Go to a local insurance branch (should be a rep on your new base) and purchase JCI, and personal insurance.

Once you have done this, you can go to your local city hall, and pay for 5 day temp tags (slash plates) (about 750 yen) Be sure to take with you the customs letter, U.S. title/registration, JCI paperwork, Insurance, and ID card and Japanese SOFA drivers license with you.

take the plates to pick up your car at the north dock. and drive it home.

Next you will need to find a weigh station, and weigh your car. Be sure to get a print out of the actual weight of the car. (tip) make it as light as possible. it will determine how much you pay in road tax.

after that, you can schedule an emissions test. (1-2weeks out) This is expensive. 230,000 yen to be exact. $2600 with todays conversion rate and it will need to be in cash. the test will take 2 days to complete, and there is only one place in Japan that does it. Its about 2 miles away from Yokota AB, in the Tama district. ( I lucked out with this since I lived on Yokota) This will take 2 days to complete, they test your car hot, and cold (by letting it sit over night) Attached is a picture of me at the place waiting in line behind a guy with a Sterling Martin.

once you pass (if you do, or can fix it to pass) you are ready to go to the Land office for the final inspection. this is a CLUSTER FUNK of a process. you have to run all over this compound, paying all sorts of little fee's and getting paperwork stamped and signed (have about 40,000 yen at least). Once they actually start testing your car, they will check your exhaust noise level, lights, windshield washers, and dash (CEL). You will need to make sure everything is in tip top shape, no oil leaks, and if you dont already have them, install some side marker lights on the fenders. I used motorcycle lights on mine and double side taped them to the fenders, after the inspection, I removed them since I didnt want to cut into my fenders. Just tuck the wires behind the fender, and place the light right by the gap between the fender and doors. you will be fine.

now for the headlights. if you pull your car up to a wall at night, and the head light pattern looks like this ( ----/ ) you will fail. You will blind oncomming traffic. If it looks like this ( ---- ) you will pass. most HID's nowadays look like that, My USDM lexus lights did, and they passed them. if your car doesn't come with HID, or doesn't look like that, you will need to make them look like this ( \----- ) so hopefully they sold your car in a country that drives on the left, and you can just buy those headlights. otherwise, you will have to have someone modify them for you...AAC lighting, or someone similar might be able to help.

after that, you will get your tags. Heres a pic of my USDM car with Jap tags, and me at the emissions test facility.

Blackbob

Sweet,
Now that I can talk to someone whose done it and no BS me. Did you have ANY modifications done to your car prior to shipping ? Do you know what they will fail you for so far as suspension modifications go ? Right now she has after-market exhaust and a tune but no CEL's that I can think of. I can easily put the stock 4-cat mid pipe back on and which will quite the car down a lot. I was thinking of shipping it with a Vortech YSI on it but i don't know if it's whine will fail me or the fact that it's on the car will. I would like to assume as long as it passes emissions it will be fine. Do you have any input on this or otherwise able to answer my questions for me ?

Also,
How long you been in Japan ? How long ago did you do this ? How much longer are you suppose to be there because I'm up for order here in like 6-7 months or so.

sicwitit

I would try and bring the car here as stock as possible. bring the supercharger seprately, and if you ever have to go through the JCI again, make the car stock again.

As far as suspension goes, I had full suspension on it when it went through, and no problems. they did check the ride height, but the components didnt matter. Also, use stock wheels, and tire sizes. the BBS's on my car in the pic failed me too, I had to go buy stock Altezza wheels ($100) in order to pass. No big wings also, they can't be wider then the car...it really is a headache if your car is modified. I actually timmed it to where I would only have to go through the JCI process one time before I PCS. I've been here 2 yrs now, and the only reason I brought my car was to have all the work done on it here In Japan I could think of. Its almost complete now, Im either taking it to Jun, or Top Secret next week to have a full Titanium exhaust system welded up from the turbo back. All JDM pie sliced and what not.....$3K down the drain, but what the hell, I don't know anywhere in the states I'd ever find someone to do that kind of work!

Blackbob

My gut was telling me the same thing you are now. Stock 4-cat mid pipe,stock wheels/tires,and stock ride height because it is a easy mod. Now I'll be deploying soon and I did plan to mod the car a little before I ship it. This is of course in the event I get orders to Japan so all of this now is research. I know the motor is tired so I'm planning on dropping a new one in with no head work but new heads and factory build cams ( ford racing stuff ). I'd like to assume with all the stock emissions stuff on and working ( since it is all still on the car and functional ). I should be able to get it Cali emission safe tuned and ship a "blower ready" N/A car with no problems. I do however plan to put on a tubular K and coil overs but I don't know if that would bone me later.

sicwitit

shoot me an email if you get orders. [email protected]

Blackbob

Will do,you on face book ?

Return to “International Region”