question about the book max boost

Your premier source for information on the Turbo KA: KA24E-T and KA24DE-T (KA with aftermarket turbo kit)!
IveBeenBad
Car: 1990 240SX Fastback STOCK BIOTCH

does it give design tips on building your own manifold?

cnichols
Car: 96 Nissan 240SX, 99 Infiniti Q45, 93 Ford Fastiva

It does go briefly into manifold design, yes. Explains favorable wastegate positions and angles as well as the best ways to take stress off the manifold to keep it from cracking.

TomsMR2
Car: cars.. etc

make a log manifold.. by far the easiest way to go.

C-Kwik
Car: 2013 Chevy Volt, 1991 Honda CRX DX

TomsMR2 wrote:make a log manifold.. by far the easiest way to go.

Easiest isn't the necessarily the best. Ease and cost, of course are considerations, but to make a recommendation, it would be best to find out the needs and budget of what the user needs.

brage

Speaking of Maximum Boost what does everyone think about aerocharger/VATN technology? I would love to see a VATN application on a 240 ;) since theoretically it is superior to wastegated turbo applications...

-jeff

C-Kwik
Car: 2013 Chevy Volt, 1991 Honda CRX DX

It's a very versatile turbo, but if I were looking for max power, this would not be the turbo I would go with. Too much mass with all the little moving parts. Notice there aren't any ultrafast cars that run them...but then again, I've never even seen one of these personally.

brage

C-Kwik wrote:It's a very versatile turbo, but if I were looking for max power, this would not be the turbo I would go with. Too much mass with all the little moving parts. Notice there aren't any ultrafast cars that run them...but then again, I've never even seen one of these personally.

Yeah that is my general opinion too, from the looks of the specs on the aerocharger site, the maximum performance an aerocharger can produce is about 300HP (crank)

McAdam
Car: I like cars and my motorcycle. boats are fun too

hey, thought I'd toss my 2 cents in about this VNT thing, seeing as how I have one. I got mine off of a 1990 chrysler lebaron VNT. they came stock on a few cars in 1990. heres the link to it VNT-25 . there are no more moving parts on the actual compressor/inducer shaft. the vanes dont spin, they just direct airflow. it uses a lot of standard T25 parts,, so upgrading it to the "Big T28" is very possible and easy. one of the big benefits of this turbo is that it offers less backpressure than boost. one of the drawbacks is it needs a hideously complicated boost controller to control the vanes. I am putting it on a CA18DET, I'll let you know how it goes!

McAdam

brage

McAdam wrote:hey, thought I'd toss my 2 cents in about this VNT thing, seeing as how I have one. I got mine off of a 1990 chrysler lebaron VNT. they came stock on a few cars in 1990. heres the link to it VNT-25 . there are no more moving parts on the actual compressor/inducer shaft. the vanes dont spin, they just direct airflow. it uses a lot of standard T25 parts,, so upgrading it to the "Big T28" is very possible and easy. one of the big benefits of this turbo is that it offers less backpressure than boost. one of the drawbacks is it needs a hideously complicated boost controller to control the vanes. I am putting it on a CA18DET, I'll let you know how it goes!

McAdam

VERY interesting, I was not aware that garret had anything done in the VNT area... looking forward to seeing your results.

Return to “KA24ET / KA24DET Forum”