question about shaken for those of you in japan

Including Japan, Australia, Canada, and others.
aurora61
Car: 1990 240sx hatch

Im moving to japan in less than a year, and i heard alot about the infamous "shaken" car inspection process.

I was wondering how people get away with modified cars in japan and still manage to pass. There must be a way considering the crazy cars in "D1 street legal" right??

Im mostly concerned with stuff like adding/swapping turbos, changing out the internals, manual conversions, etc. As much as i want to do these kinds of things, i dont want to end up having to pay tons of money to revert the car back to stock before inspection. (what if i bore out the block, and need to switch back to stock pistons?... i dont want to buy a another block!)

Im assuming theres "shady" shops that pass people, but wat does the average tuner do?

Gold Digger
Car: Current:
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:
1995 Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec Midnight Purple
1990 Nissan Laurel Club S Turbo Two Tone Pearl

Well, for one, they don't check the internals of the engine. What they check is that all of your equipment is in good condition to make sure the car is up to snuff. Sha-ken is the reason you don't see any rusted out POS cars on the streets here in Japan. I warn you though, it can be expensive.

Also, if your car has parts on it that would be considered illegal, i.e. a de-cat pipe in place of your catalytic converter, they will not pass you because of that. They also have to make sure your car doesn't sit to low.

As far as engine swaps, as long as your registration reflects what you have, you're golden. I know a guy with an R32 GTS-T that has an RB26TT and he has no problems.

Turbos, exhausts, front pipes, air induction systems are all good as long as they are installed properly. You might have an issue with it being to loud, but considering all the cars with super loud exhausts, I can't believe they enforce that one.

When you get over here, get a hold of me and I can try to help you out as much as I can.

Also, how long do you plan on being here and are you going to be studying? Be sure you understand that you have to get a license, a registered place to live and a parking space before you can even think about buying a car. Without any of those, you are no-go for owning a car if you aren't military.

aurora61

Gold Digger wrote:Well, for one, they don't check the internals of the engine. What they check is that all of your equipment is in good condition to make sure the car is up to snuff. Sha-ken is the reason you don't see any rusted out POS cars on the streets here in Japan. I warn you though, it can be expensive.

Also, if your car has parts on it that would be considered illegal, i.e. a de-cat pipe in place of your catalytic converter, they will not pass you because of that. They also have to make sure your car doesn't sit to low.

As far as engine swaps, as long as your registration reflects what you have, you're golden. I know a guy with an R32 GTS-T that has an RB26TT and he has no problems.

Turbos, exhausts, front pipes, air induction systems are all good as long as they are installed properly. You might have an issue with it being to loud, but considering all the cars with super loud exhausts, I can't believe they enforce that one.

When you get over here, get a hold of me and I can try to help you out as much as I can.

Also, how long do you plan on being here and are you going to be studying? Be sure you understand that you have to get a license, a registered place to live and a parking space before you can even think about buying a car. Without any of those, you are no-go for owning a car if you aren't military.
Thanks for answering my questions! Im going to japan permanently since i got a job there. Im actually 100% japanese (a citizen)... i just havent lived there since i was a kid. I visit once a year tho and fluent in the language, so im pretty familiar with the country.

Ill be sure to let you know when im in Japan!

Gold Digger
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:

Where abouts in Japan are you going to be located? If you end up in Tokyo, let me know. I cruise around the highways kinda often and head down to Daikoku Futo at least once a month, sometimes more.

I have made some good friends in the car circle. Nothing like the scenes you see in movies, but a good group of friends.

aurora61

Im gonna be right by the daikoku futo, since ill most likely be in yokohama.

Gold Digger
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:

aurora61 wrote:Im gonna be right by the daikoku futo, since ill most likely be in yokohama.
Cool. You'll have to come check out the monthly GT-R meets there.What time frame are you looking at for arrival here?

Return to “International Region”