Question About Sensor

Discuss topics related to the CA18DE and CA18DET series engines.
slw240sx
Car: 1990 Ca18det 240sx Hatch

hey where can i get a DET sensor for the Ca18det, perferably state side checked but i dont think the CA18de had a DET/Knock sensor any ideas ??? thanks jon

pulsar gtr
Car: NISSAN VEHICLES

Ya both the ca18de and the ca16de have detonation sensors, and they are located in the same place as the one on the ca18det, go through the nissan dealer and get one for the 1988 nissan pulsar NX.SE, it is a ca18de pulsar

PULSAR GTR

slw240sx

thanks man i knew youd come through. the auto zone i was at had no such part for the Ca18de but i guess ill have to call a dealership to make sure

slw240sx

any one know for sure if a bad/ on the fritz DET sensor can keep a motor from firing ???

pulsar gtr

No, the detonation sensor has nothing to do with firing up the engine, you can disconnect it and the car will still start up and run,

DO A DIAGNOSTIC ON YOUR ECU AND SEE IF YOU CAN GET ANY ERROR CODES,

PULSAR GTR

slw240sx

it threw a DET sensor, but when i got to work on the car here in a few hours ill run a code check after i get all the wiring worked out who knows it might just be faulty install wiring

SSDwellah
Car: '90 Z32 Coupe w/ VH45DE + 5-speed (FOR SALE)
'06 Infiniti G35 Coupe 6MT
'08 Frontier 4x4 SE KC

hmmm that leaves only a few sensors... CAS (crank angle sensor), MAFS (although the car would still run but idle would suck since it would be in open loop mode), oxygen sensor (not sure if your car has this (and once again the car would run). Also, maybe the ECU is just throwing a code for the first problem it finds which may not be most critical. If I had to venture a guess I'd say that the weak spark might be the result of a bad CAS causing timing problems (could be distributor related if that is where the CA18DE's CAS is located). Sorry, I don't know too much about this engine so these are only guesses.

EDIT: almost forgot TPS (throttle position sensor) but I don't think this would prevent starting either.

pulsar gtr

If your car isn't starting, do the following,

do an ecu diagnostic, and see what error codes you get, if you aren't getting errors which you should, check the following.

-Cas (Crank angle sensor, ecu should give you an error if it is bad)-power transistor module ( very good possibility),(coils could also do it , but to have all for of them not firing , I doubt it)- Ecu could be defective.wiring from cas to ecu and from ecu to POWER TRANSISTOR MODULE could have a wire broken (ohm out the wiring)

Ohm out your injectors and make sure they ohm out around 14 ohms. they could also be clugged, but I doubt all of them would be.

Oxygen senor, detonation sensor, temp sensor, MAF, ideal sensor, Throttle body sensor, none of them will cause the engine not to fire, they might cause the engine to idea rough but they won't prevent it from firing up.

Good luck,

PULSAR GTR

slw240sx

well didnt even check the codes will next time i get to go work on it, got the weak spark problem solved i think. just did some harness work on some weak ground connections, the 02 sensor wasnt even hooked up, one wire on MAF wasnt on either. batt ground was horrid, so was positive cable splice. so did all that an got it to spark on every coil, but the plugs in it were so fouled they didnt spark at all, gaps all messed up, an what not took them over to the big bench grinder an put them on the steel brush wheel at high rpm an cleaned them up as good as could get, an they threw good enough spark, put em in an i get cumbustion. sporadic but its somthing, timming is way off we played aroundwith the CAS, also didnt have the MAF hooked up before turbo an no intercooler or pipping to turbo. just ran a pipe from filter to MAF into the throttle body. ( this a problem) various vacum lines around 4-6 that dont know where they go. told there for emmisions an plug em, any other ideas guys i think ill get her running soon

slw240sx

anyone need a CAS or IGN chips, im going to the junk yard today to pull some out of the 89 pulsars i thinnk ill get aournd 4-6 of each... ill sell them cheap

SSDwellah
Car: '90 Z32 Coupe w/ VH45DE + 5-speed (FOR SALE)
'06 Infiniti G35 Coupe 6MT
'08 Frontier 4x4 SE KC

Good luck slw240sx. I hope it's something simple and cheap like CAS. As far as I know that's the most likely one as it is one of the few (maybe only?) that will prevent you from starting the engine.

slw240sx

it was a faulty ground wire going to the ign chip harness! i fixed that, the MAF wires, connected the O2 sensor, put in some new plugs an VAROOOM it started tonight for the first time !!!

Return to “CA18DE / CA18DET Forum”