Question about Purchasing an R32

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
nismo1118
Car: Jetta GLI
Ducati Monster S2R1000

So my question to all those that are planning on buying an R32 in the states what options are there for paying for it and what are you planning to do? Is it possible to finance one? If so how? Or is everyone else rich enough to just pay out right with cash? I would prefer not to do that as it would leave me pretty strapped for a while.

Thanks.

usafdarkhorse
Car: 1990 Honda NSX #382
1989 Nissan Skyline GT-R #2317
1972 Datsun 240Z

You would either need a great relationship with your credit union/bank or have a good enough credit score to finance that much on a personal loan, but the interest would be pretty bad. I'm guessing the imported cars will hover around the $20K mark, so it would be very difficult to finance an 89-94 imported car on an auto loan. Some places like PenFed may do it, so search around.

I wouldn't finance this car. It's expensive enough to maintain as it is before you add on a car payment.

Also be very scrupulous in looking at the car you want to buy. R32s rust like none other and many being brought over by US servicemembers are basketcase rust buckets with deferred maintenance.

Caveat Emptor.

nismo1118
Ducati Monster S2R1000

Well I have a pretty good credit score (high 700s) and have looked into a personal loan. While the interest rate is higher than the typical auto it isn't ridiculous, around 8%. I would not plan on financing the entire price though maybe half to a third which would make the payments reasonable.

What are other planning on doing?

usafdarkhorse
1972 Datsun 240Z

It's hard to say how much to even finance because I'm just guessing at a rough price of $20Kish for an R32 GTR, but a personal loan would be your surefire bet.

Just make sure the payment is comfortably within your ability because these are old, complex cars that need more care than your average car. It's just money though. :biggrin: :frown: :tisk:

nismo1118
Ducati Monster S2R1000

That won't be an issue keeping the payment reasonable financing less than half. Plus I'll have my Ducati payed off this year and its sale in the spring will help fund the purchase.

Thanks for the input usafdarkhorse!

Anyone gunna get one or is it just me?

usafdarkhorse
1972 Datsun 240Z

I've got mine in Japan with me and will be shipping it back.

I'm sure there's a number of people already searching and waiting for when the first few become legal to import this coming August. I've already heard of people having cars in storage in Japan waiting for the time. I wonder if most buyers will be looking toward Canada rather than Japan.

VandrelSOUSA

nismo1118 wrote: Anyone gunna get one or is it just me?
A number of people are already buying ones available and using storage options. There's not many 89's floating around so I'd wager one would be hard pressed to find one next year close to the July/August timeframe.

On that note though, be careful who you do business with. There's a lot of anticipation over next year and there's a lot of places trying to cash in on the profit from uneducated people. Places like JDM Legends (In Utah) are quoting people $25,000 and up. There's a few other places around in NY and VA who are also quoting similar prices. I happen to know of a place in FL that has sold a number of them for $13,000-$14,000 and storing them until they are legal to ship :)

Just be caution of who you do business with and don't hesitate to ask for help if you have questions. Feel free to pm me anytime.

nismo1118
Ducati Monster S2R1000

Thanks for the comments. Yeah I'm sure that a lot of people are going to try and cash in that's why I am and have been doing my homework for a long time. I'm new to this forum but have been trolling GTR.co.uk for close to a decade. So I've seen most of the scammers come and go to.

Yeah I definitely won't make any move on a vehicle that's over seas with out a lot of pics and info. Even then I may wait and pay a premium for one that is brought over and I can see in person.

I have talked to the JDM Legend guys and they are good guys and imports quality vehicles and I think their prices reflect that.

It may be to late but in the spring I'll be going over to Japan on business and am going to do all I can to take advantage of it to find a car if I haven't by then.

VandrelSOUSA

nismo1118 wrote: I have talked to the JDM Legend guys and they are good guys and imports quality vehicles and I think their prices reflect that.
JDM Legends post their cars for a significant mark up. Perfect example, go look at the $17,000 R31 GTS-T they have posted that sold for a fraction of that at the auction. I'm only asking $10,000 for my R31 that was a grade 4 that looks just like theirs if that gives you any idea how bad it is over there.

There's a lot cheaper places to go to then them and you should also consider that they are located in Utah, there's no ports over there so not only will you pay RORO to the U.S. but then your car's price also includes inland freight carrier fees because they have to truck stuff to Utah from whatever port they are moving cars from (likely Long Beach, CA). Anyway, point being is there's a lot cheaper places that aren't out to just stuff their pockets with your money.

nismo1118
Ducati Monster S2R1000

So what places do you mean? Let me know and I'll give them a look.

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”