Question about "Original Configuration" clause

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
ryanwolfe911

This is my first post, but I've been lurking unregistered for quite some time to gather the info I need, and I've finally settled on a 1991 GT-R that I found in Canada, and am planning on driving across the border to import.

I know the whole process, but how picky have the CBP agents been on the whole Original Configuration clause in the EPA rules? The car in question has a single turbo upgrade and a FMIC. Do you think that will give me any issues when trying to get across? I'll be coming through in Calais, Maine CBP entry point.

I've heard that some of the officers don't even like to see aftermarket air filters. This car is so cheap I cannot afford to pass it up. Do you think I should chance it as is, or attempt to convert the car back to 100% original twin turbo status (PO has all the original parts, down the airbox and intercooler)

But that will be a giant PITA, and I don't really want to pay someone to do that for me. I'm a mechanic, but I am not going to try major work in a hotel parking lot, especially without my tools. The owner says it has to go as is, he isn't interested in converting it back to stock for me, which I understand.

It would be rather obvious that the parts in question are aftermarket, the turbo and pipes are highly polished.

Any help or advise would be great.

Thanks
Ryan

frapjap
Car: '99 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
'07 Subaru Legacy

Hm, helluva question!
I'll make a duplicate in Gen Chat in case some of the guys there have any idea.

What happens if they don't like it?

ryanwolfe911

Thanks!

GSX-R35
Car: 2010 Black Obsidian TSM Pro Eight R35
1999 Midnight Purple 2 R34 V-spec
1990 Gun Metal Grey Nismo R32

The short answer is that you're going to be in for a crapshoot.

The EPA regulation states "original unmodified condition" but whether you get declined or not is entirely up to the luck of the draw with the CBP agents you get. People have gotten through many times with modified cars and you may luck out and get an agent who doesn't care or can't tell a turbo from a taco but from what I've heard CBP has been getting stricter since my R32 was imported from Canada a while back simply because so many more cars are coming in. A single turbo conversion is a pretty easy catch I'm afraid so chances are high you'll get declined. I've heard of people getting flack for just simple intake conversions let alone a big honking single turbo for all to see.

You may want to still chance it since most likely all they'll do is turn you away and then you can try and restore the car to stock and try again but if you're looking for a solid answer as to your chances it's unlikely you'll get one from anybody since it's all down to your luck, how the CBP agent is feeling at the time, and which stars are in conjunction with Saturn. In short, crapshoot.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

GSX-R35 wrote:
You may want to still chance it since most likely all they'll do is turn you away and then you can try and restore the car to stock and try again.
I was thinking the same thing.

ryanwolfe911

PapaSmurf2k3 wrote:
GSX-R35 wrote:
You may want to still chance it since most likely all they'll do is turn you away and then you can try and restore the car to stock and try again.
I was thinking the same thing.
I'll give it a go and see what the heck happens to me.

Thanks guys.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

Let us know how you make out!

Wildtraveler
Car: 2012 mazdaspeed
1989 BNR32

I hope they don't read forums! Haha that's a joke we all know they do from time to time. ;) I hope it works out. My CBP officers did not even go look at it. I showed up at the port and they had not even looked at my papers for a week. They signed it and said enjoy.

ryanwolfe911

Wildtraveler wrote:I hope they don't read forums! Haha that's a joke we all know they do from time to time. ;) I hope it works out. My CBP officers did not even go look at it. I showed up at the port and they had not even looked at my papers for a week. They signed it and said enjoy.

Well that's encouraging!

frapjap
Car: '99 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
'07 Subaru Legacy

I would wonder if they would be less likely to even notice you in a long line of cars coming back into the USA from Canada at one of the larger volume, major check points?

It would suck to turn around, but might be worth having the contingency plan of a storage unit nearby to put it somewhere safe in the meantime.

If you get turned around, will they make a note of it or mark your vehicle with a sticker or anything? Any reason you couldn't try again the next day at a different entry point?

ryanwolfe911

frapjap wrote:I would wonder if they would be less likely to even notice you in a long line of cars coming back into the USA from Canada at one of the larger volume, major check points?

It would suck to turn around, but might be worth having the contingency plan of a storage unit nearby to put it somewhere safe in the meantime.

If you get turned around, will they make a note of it or mark your vehicle with a sticker or anything? Any reason you couldn't try again the next day at a different entry point?
All very valid points. I suppose I will find out huh lol. :werd:

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”