Question About Infiniti's AWD System on the EX35

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
CaribMon71
Car: 2009 FX50 Sport

Previous Car: 2008 EX35 Journey AWD

My question is regarding the AWD system Infinity uses. Does anyone know anything about it? How does it compare to the system used by BMW X5s and VW Touaregs? I've owned both these vehicles and am curious to know how this particular system works.

Since I have not seen any literature or mention of it, I will assume that the differentials are not lockable. Is this a correct assumption?

Also, I'm constantly annoyed by auto manufacturers who include sport shift (TipTronic) transmissions and then decide to configure the shifting so that an Up Shift requires a forward push on the shifter and a Down Shift requires a rearward pull on the shifter. For sports driving, this is really counter intuitive.

BMW did this with their 2002 X5, but later reversed it on their 2003 model X5. In other words, push for down shift, pull for up shift. In fact, there were several members of the VW forum I was on (VW Vortex) who modded their Touaregs to correct this.

Does anyone know if it is possible to make this change on the EX35?

If paddle shifters would be included on the steering wheel (or available as an option), this would not be an issue, such as on VW Touaregs.

inteller
Car: 2008 EX35 Journey AWD

ATESSA-ETS is a RWD biased AWD system. I wish we had ATTESA Pro, but we don't have a rear differential so that isn't possible.

push up for an up shift is much more intuitive to me so sorry I can't support your case.

zozoka1212
Car: 08 Infiniti G35x

CaribMon71
Car: 2009 FX50 Sport

Previous Car: 2008 EX35 Journey AWD

More info than I could shake a stick at. I think the ATTESA-Pro is more like VW's 4Motion. I believe it was also capable of splitting torque between left and right. Thanks for the link, it was exactly what I was looking for!

As for my shifting gripe, I guess it's just a racer mentality thing. Then again, I'm not exactly a real racer... but there's one in me somewhere!

Probably the same reason many (if not most) circuit bikes (Moto GP) have reverse shifters on them. That's how I had my Ducati configured. There's a term for this, but I can't recall it.

Obviously, these are configured for the masses, but it would be convenient if the owner was given the option of changing it.

Pushing up for Up Shifts may seem intuitive (it certainly sounds logical) if you've never tried it the other way around. Once you do, you probably won't want to go back.

Same thing with motorcycle shifters. Anyway, it was just a question. If I ever figure it out (assuming I get this car), I'll pass along the info.

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”