Question about Coilover spring noise

Forum for Nissan wheel fitment, tire selection, suspension setup and brake discussions.
zer0c123
Car: 1993 Nissan 240SX Hatch

From reading forums posts and chatting with friends it seems most coilovers have a little noise from the springs.

I installed stance gr+pro last july and noticed that the rear passenger would make a single bong sound on bumpy right turns, where it sounded like the spring just decompressed. The fronts passenger side would always have slight creeping spring noises when backing out from a parking space. I e-mailed stance and they told I should give the springs more time to settle in. If not then, contact them again.

Since then, i have driven about 3000 miles and gotten used to the occasional light spring noise. However, for the last 2 weeks the front passenger noise has become more frequent than usual. If I just drive maybe 10 mph on level road or have the car stationary and turn the steering wheel left and right, I would hear continuous spring noise. Other cases would be making slow left or right turns, backing out of parking spaces, or going over speed bumps. It sounds like a creeping noise or a really old spring mattress. I'm still waiting on response from stance on this issue. I usually get a response in 2-3 days, but it's been 2 weeks already.

I've read there were issues with the old version of these coilovers, but I believe I have the newer ones. Also I have already sprayed some teflon lube on the pillowball mounts and the springs.

Anyone else have this issue or know what the cause is?

Edit: After thinking about it, the noise became more frequent after washing my car.

Frank E Bones
Car: Slower than it looks

Hows the clearence between the wheel/tire and the spring itself. Can you see wether there rubbing or not? That might cause some of the noises that your describing. As far as that "bong" sound goes, are your springs sagging? Meaning are the lower collors wound up all the way to meet the bottom of the springs?

zer0c123

Nothing seems to be rubbing to me. I just checked the collar and it was loose, so the spring was not tight. Alot of small rocks and dust got trapped under the metal washer at the bottom of the spring. I cleaned out the rocks, added some lithium grease, and tightened down the collar. I just tightened the spring until it touched the top, then just gave it 3-4 more turns.The initial test drive was good, but the noise came back within a few minutes and I think it was worser than before.

I finally contacted Stance and they are sending out a pair of thrust washers to add to the top of the spring. I might try a lubricant, before using the additional washers. However, that might be useless, since that stuff eventually wears out over time. Also I seem to remember 180fan suggesting triflow teflon lubricant. I sprayed some Dupont Teflon lubricant to the top of pillowball mounts during the initial install 3 months ago.

For reference, here is a sound clip of the noise I hear in the cabin. I placed the recorder around the passenger seating area.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiKmMi3-Exc

zer0c123

Okay the spring noise seems to be all gone the day after I tightened the collar. Maybe the springs needed time to settle again, because the collar was loose before.

SX APPEAL
Car: 06 G35 Coupe 6MT
95 Maxima SE 5MT

Wow thats a seriously nasty noise you've got going on there. Almost sounds like an upper strut mount problem, I would check the passenger side upper pillow ball mount and see if anythings out of place or binding.

zer0c123

Update on this problem. I called Stance about the issue and they mailed out 2 Thrust washers to install to the top of the spring to remedy the spring binding. It turned out that the collar that locked the springs in place was loose, so I tightened it. The initial test drive was good, but the noise came back. After 1 day it was gone, so I guess the springs needed to dial in again. Therefore I did not install the washers. This was back in November.

I've always had memory steer issues, so a few weeks ago I decided to loosen the springs a little to see if it would do anything. The only thing it did was bring back the annoying spring noise. Therefore, I decided to install the thrust washers i got from Stance in November of last year. The thrust washers improved my steering, because it seemed easier to move the steering wheel compared to before. The initial test drive was good, but 30 minutes later the spring noise was back.

Some of the preload settings i tried were
1. light with some play meaning you can move the spring up and down and turn it effortlessly. Stance says on their website to not preload the springs.
2. Very tight where you can barely move the spring by hand.

I jacked up the car and recorded a some videos showing how the spring is binding.

I put load on the springs by using my floor jack on the LCA.
NOTE: Although spring seems to stop binding from the top perch, the spring noise is coming from the bottom perch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6wHI7BhmfU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bagX4h9fFds

I'm going to call Stance on Monday and find out what they can do.

Return to “Nissan Tires, Wheels, Brakes and Suspension”