Question about buying a New Versa

General Discussion forum for Versa Owners
BKKloppenborg
Car: Soon Nissan Versa

Well i want to buy one really bad, but have to wait untilOne: I save up enough money by Dec/JanTwo: My 380,000 Mile Benz 300SD Dies

I HATE DESPISE paying extra for a Auto trans.. I didnt even know that was still happening, i know they used to. So my MSRP went from 14,500 for the SL to 16,165 dollars since i can only choose CVT..

Or even the S goes from 12,550 to 14,665 HOLY CRAP that pisses me off.. I Know how to drive a manual BUT do i really want to drive a manual while getting stuck in 5-15 MPH Traffic and try to watch the crazy people who drive bad and try to shift at once??!?

Is their a way i can make a bargin with my salesperson with the Auto? My parents Honda Accord wasn't 1.5K more with a 5 speed Auto... If no way to work it out not getting a Versa.

thanks.

Only cars i were looking at were, Nissan Versa, Mazda 3, and Hyundai Sonata with 5 speed Auto/ that also can do a 6 Speed manual in one trans..

Ever Victorious
Car: '08 Kia Spectra5, '73 AMC Hornet

Because supplies are currently tight, only a few people have had luck getting any sort of a "deal" on a versa of any kind.

However, in Dec/Jan, that may be a whole different story, as supply levels increase.

proxim2020

BKKloppenborg wrote:I Know how to drive a manual BUT do i really want to drive a manual while getting stuck in 5-15 MPH Traffic and try to watch the crazy people who drive bad and try to shift at once??!?
The versa may be one of the vehicles that help solve the biggest problem with driving in traffic. It has a really tiny 1st gear. So you can get the car moving without laying in the clutch as much as others. When I had my 21 year old Honda, in slow traffic and it would take about 3 seconds to get the beast rolling enough to where I could get off the clutch. When I test drove the versa it took about .5 - 1 sec to get out of the clutch. Some users even suggest starting in 2nd to take advantage of the longer rpm range.

Shifting is something you either enjoy or see it as a burden. In traffic it exponentiates your feelings. Me, I enjoy shifting. It keeps you active, you never become complacent, and you become more aware of your surroundings. Plus it's just down right fun.

BKKloppenborg

True and its cheaper to get Manual DAMNit that means i have to get unrusty if i buy a manual good thing about Versa is i test drove a Manual because they had no Autos.. It was such a EZ going stick shift compared to most cars.. Plus i dont think of it as a Burden (Except in heavy traffic LOL) it is fun.... But i would like to pratice a manual before i get this car (If i get it with a manual) To pratice on again only thing i hate is Hills because people tailgate to close these days. But what is the best way to pratice before i get the car??! My parents have both Autos SUV Benz, i have a Auto 79 benz and 2004 Honda accord auto and fo figure all my friends have Autos...
proxim2020 wrote:
The versa may be one of the vehicles that help solve the biggest problem with driving in traffic. It has a really tiny 1st gear. So you can get the car moving without laying in the clutch as much as others. When I had my 21 year old Honda, in slow traffic and it would take about 3 seconds to get the beast rolling enough to where I could get off the clutch. When I test drove the versa it took about .5 - 1 sec to get out of the clutch. Some users even suggest starting in 2nd to take advantage of the longer rpm range.

Shifting is something you either enjoy or see it as a burden. In traffic it exponentiates your feelings. Me, I enjoy shifting. It keeps you active, you never become complacent, and you become more aware of your surroundings. Plus it's just down right fun.

Spa2k

It's pretty simple: An automatic transmission costs more to build, so you'll get charged more—especially at the bottom of the market.

proxim2020

BKKloppenborg wrote:To pratice on again only thing i hate is Hills because people tailgate to close these days.
If I'm stopped on a hill and I see someone coming up behind me, I'll slowly start rolling back. Just enough to give the person behind me an idea that I'm in a standard. It only works if you are stopped and see someone coming up.
BKKloppenborg wrote: But what is the best way to pratice before i get the car??! My parents have both Autos SUV Benz, i have a Auto 79 benz and 2004 Honda accord auto and fo figure all my friends have Autos...
There's tons of practice vehicles all around, if you have the time. Dealer lots are full of them and there are many types. Ask them for a 5 - 15 mile test drive. Just tell them you're really interested in real world driving. No pressure dealers are normally the best. After about the first time, you'll be back in your pro mode.

Alternatively, you could go buy a junker just for practice. $250 can get you a long way. You may be missing an airbag or 2 and may be able to see the ground below your feet while you drive, but the experience you get is more valuable. After you're done, get rid of it.

BKKloppenborg

will a 250 dollar car even run? LOL i didn't even know you can buy a working car for that much. Any suggestings on cars that are cheap..
proxim2020 wrote:
If I'm stopped on a hill and I see someone coming up behind me, I'll slowly start rolling back. Just enough to give the person behind me an idea that I'm in a standard. It only works if you are stopped and see someone coming up.

There's tons of practice vehicles all around, if you have the time. Dealer lots are full of them and there are many types. Ask them for a 5 - 15 mile test drive. Just tell them you're really interested in real world driving. No pressure dealers are normally the best. After about the first time, you'll be back in your pro mode.

Alternatively, you could go buy a junker just for practice. $250 can get you a long way. You may be missing an airbag or 2 and may be able to see the ground below your feet while you drive, but the experience you get is more valuable. After you're done, get rid of it.

OKVersa
Car: Nissan Versa

I spent the first 15 years of my driving life (ages 15 to 30) driving a standard. Then I quit. No more.

Believe me, the CVT is worth it. I can't envision in the future buying anything else but a CVT.

BKKloppenborg

Thats true traffic also will only get worse cheapest car i found was

Price $600Mileage Unlisted1988 SUBARU GL WAGON, 4x4, 5 spd, pw, runs good, reliable transportation, registered thru 09/07, passed smog, 10/05, no ac, new radiator, alternator, timing belt, must sell today! first $600 takes it ! 619-795-2331

That ran lol
OKVersa wrote:I spent the first 15 years of my driving life (ages 15 to 30) driving a standard. Then I quit. No more.

Believe me, the CVT is worth it. I can't envision in the future buying anything else but a CVT.

proxim2020

BKKloppenborg wrote:will a 250 dollar car even run? LOL i didn't even know you can buy a working car for that much. Any suggestings on cars that are cheap..
Yes! My 1983 Honda Civix with 194,000 miles got me $300 in the year 2002 . It ran well and didn't have any major mechanical problems. I thought the poor thing was worthless, but Carmax didn't...lol. It got me enough money to put an alarm on my new truck

nissansalesman_wtx
Car: Nissan Sentra

I work for a Nissan Dealership in Texas...We are not dicounting Versa's at all due to demand but on the flip side of that we are not doing "market adjustments" like most other dealers of $1500 to $2500. When Nissan introduced the Versa it was designed to be an entry level vehicle to compete in the sub compact market. With the way Nissan's nmodels break down they are limited in pricing because it had to stay under the soon to be released 07 Sentra. I said all that to say this the mark-up in the Versa from invoice to MSRP is very marginal...I really don't see prices dropping or dealerships making great deals until Nissan puts some type of rebate on them.

proxim2020

nissansalesman_wtx wrote:I work for a Nissan Dealership in Texas...We are not dicounting Versa's at all due to demand but on the flip side of that we are not doing "market adjustments" like most other dealers of $1500 to $2500. When Nissan introduced the Versa it was designed to be an entry level vehicle to compete in the sub compact market. With the way Nissan's nmodels break down they are limited in pricing because it had to stay under the soon to be released 07 Sentra. I said all that to say this the mark-up in the Versa from invoice to MSRP is very marginal...I really don't see prices dropping or dealerships making great deals until Nissan puts some type of rebate on them.
You're right. The difference between the Invoice and MSRP is about $600-$800 depending on which model and options are taken. But that doesn't mean that there's no room for dealing. I met my dealer at about halfway. $400 below MSRP but $300 above invoice. When you make your offer, try to stay somewhere between 3% - 5% over invoice. You may be buying a car, but please remember that they are trying to run a business also. If you can get a dealer below invoice, Congratulations!!!

Ever Victorious

BKKloppenborg wrote:Thats true traffic also will only get worse cheapest car i found was

Price $600Mileage Unlisted1988 SUBARU GL WAGON, 4x4, 5 spd, pw, runs good, reliable transportation, registered thru 09/07, passed smog, 10/05, no ac, new radiator, alternator, timing belt, must sell today! first $600 takes it ! 619-795-2331

That ran lol
Hey, the timing belts on those are about a $450 job, and the cars are damn near bulletproof as long as you don't overheat them (which only happens if you snap a t-belt or have a bad radiator). And they're tanks. It's almost like what would happen if Toyota and Volvo had a love child!

Plus, being a 5-speed, that's actually a dual-range. People toss lift kits on those and go offroading. A lot.

BenzTech Gone Versa
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa 1.8SL

I got a versa worth $16,500 for $19,000 it was the fist one sold.(nyc).i didnt see anyone with 1 on the road for awhile.but i got alotta free stuff with it. The dealers i went to told me the more money i borrow from the bank,the lower the apr%.so i told him give me a fully loaded versa for $1900 and he told me to wait 4 months for it! so mark up was a lil hurtful for me.i got the cvt trans whitch is smooth and powerful but a lil noisey at low speeds,sounds like some one in front of me has a subwoofer blasting!

Ever Victorious

Wait, they marked up your car $1900? The difference between the $16,905 and the $19,000 wasn't because of taxes?

If that's the case I'm sorry, but you got screwed big time. Even in the short supplies of V's that have been plaguing just about everywhere, most of us got ours at or slightly below sticker.

So for $1900 extra, I hope they gave you some seriously nice extras... maybe satellite, tint, new rims, etc...

BenzTech Gone Versa
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa 1.8SL

yeah i pretty much got screwed.i got a free extended warranty,free oil changes for the life of the car loan,2way pager remote start alarm and wax job next week.they still owe me a bluetooth system.ohh and 6.0% apr

Ever Victorious

The extended warranty and oil changes make up the bulk of that value... so at least it's not as bad as I first thought.

BKKloppenborg

Wow Versa is pretty damn safe for a hatchback

Driver Front 4 Star RatingPassenger Front 4 Star RatingFront Side 5 Star RatingRear Side 5 Star RatingRollover Rating 4 Star Rating

Vs the other cars i was thinking about Mazda 3 Hatchback. and Hyundi Sonata

Driver Front 4 Star RatingPassenger Front 4 Star RatingFront Side 3 Star RatingRear Side 3 Star RatingRollover Rating 4 Star Rating

SonataDriver Front 5 Star RatingPassenger Front 5 Star RatingFront Side 5 Star RatingRear Side 5 Star RatingRollover Rating 4 Star Rating

First choice Nissan Second Mazda Third Sonota

proxim2020

BKKloppenborg wrote:Wow Versa is pretty damn safe for a hatchback

Driver Front 4 Star RatingPassenger Front 4 Star RatingFront Side 5 Star RatingRear Side 5 Star RatingRollover Rating 4 Star Rating

Vs the other cars i was thinking about Mazda 3 Hatchback. and Hyundi Sonata

Driver Front 4 Star RatingPassenger Front 4 Star RatingFront Side 3 Star RatingRear Side 3 Star RatingRollover Rating 4 Star Rating

SonataDriver Front 5 Star RatingPassenger Front 5 Star RatingFront Side 5 Star RatingRear Side 5 Star RatingRollover Rating 4 Star Rating

First choice Nissan Second Mazda Third Sonota
I posted a link for the results in this topic.zer...d=185

Return to “Versa General Chat”