Question: 2009+ FX for light offroading?

A forum for lovers of Infiniti's hot-rod crossover, the FX! In 2014, all FX models will be named Infiniti QX70, in line with Infiniti's new naming structure.
hedgate
Car: Nissan Altima 2008

Hi folks, I'm new to this forum here, and would appreciate it if you let me leech off your experiences with the 09+ FX

The short and sweet:
How does the 09+ FX AWD do on mud/snow/gravel/uneven roads?

The long:
I will be in the market for a luxury SUV/Crossover when I return to the US after a stint in DE. I want something that can be my dependable daily commuter, yet has enough clearance and brawn to tackle weekend excursions into the mountains (hence Forest Service roads, mostly mud, gravel, and snow in the winter. May be uneven and full of potholes). Visual appeal and fun factor are huge pluses.

After some research I've narrowed down the list to these vehicles:
1. 2010-2013 Infiniti FX35/37 AWD
2. 2011-2013 BMW (BMTroubleU?) X5
3. 2011-2013 Mercedes ML Bluetec

The BMW and the Merc seem to offer more capabilities for light offroading. However lots of people are saying their reliability is really hit or miss, and be prepared to spend half of the car's worth in repairs and upkeep alone. However the torquey diesels are enticing. The BMW also looks great inside and out.

The Merc is redesigned for 2012, so I'm not too sure about that model year - but there are indications that Merc reliability gets better the newer it is. I hate the interior on the 2011, but it does seem to be capable on backroads. I also have some mods in mind to get rid of the soccer-mom car look.

The FX is my personal favorite - great exterior styling, not too shabby on the interior as well. A little less utility room, but definitely trumps the other two on the reliability side. The only issue I have with it is the weekend excursions - some reviews have been saying it does horrible off paved roads thanks to its car-like shocks and sports-car poise. Is this true?

Have you guys taken your FXs off the beaten path, and if so, how did it fare?

Return to “Infiniti FX35 / FX45 / FX37 / FX50 / QX70 Forum”