Quest handling at speed.

A forum for the Nissan Quest... minivan lovers unite!
itinifni
Car: 2006 Quest SE Special Edition.

Love this van like a car nut should, but I do wonder if others have the same little glitch when going over uneven pavement, or bumps. My van seems to jump to the left or right depending on it's mood. It's enough to freak my wife out a little. I have had it aligned twice and had brand new tires put on. I believe the rear shocks are worn, and need replacement. Would the replacement of these make the jumping go away? What are the best ones to get for replacement? Around here, we have two options, KYB, or Monroe. Which of those would be the better ones to put in? Thanks for looking.

ricebike
Car: 1989 240sx se 5spd (donated to my brother in law)
2002 Quest
2005 Altima

sounds like "bump steer" and/ or "death wobble" (does it wobble ~40-55mph?)

main cause is a loose /worn component in the steering/suspension

did the shop that performed the alignment check the parts first? :whistle:

itinifni

All the componants seem to be in good shape except for the rear shocks.those are getting changed out asap. Hoping that makes the difference.

s30 spl
Car: S30
F15

Rear shocks play a massive role in handling.

itinifni

Well, finally, today is the day I get my rear shocks in from auto parts store. I went with Monroe sensa trac's because nobody had KYB shocks anywhere. The fsm says that the upper mount is accessed from the bottom of the vehicle, but I think the shocks have an upper stud. So I think there might be a flaw in the fsm about removal of old shocks, as the stud is probably accessed through a point in the trunk of van.

itinifni

Well I have to say, this has changed everything about how I feel about the van. These shocks are so easy to install, that I thought I was doing it wrong. Seriously, if you want better handling, consider your rear shocks. At 131,000 miles, ours were blown. To remove them, you DO NOT have to go from the inside of the van. The plate that the shock bolts to comes out of the bottom, held on with 2 12 mm nuts on top. unbolt the bottom first, and unbolt the top. hardest part might be getting the Nut off the old shock as it's big, and you need the plate. It's about an hour job to do both sides. Hell, if you live in Kansas and want to bring your Quest here, I'll put your new shocks in for free. IT'S THAT SIMPLE.

itinifni

Now we're at the end of August, and the van has never ran better. I am serious about the shock install too.

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

Congrats on the replacement. Nissan suspensions are relatively easy to work on. Granted, the fronts are harder than the rears.

razorblazer73
Car: 2004 nissan quest sl

I have a 04 as it needs back and front shocks replaced, Before I get into replacing them, I havce noticed that the rear tires on both sides are kicking out on the bottom (there actully on a slant) Does anyone know if this can happen with bad shocks or maybe the control arms? The wheel bearings seem to be tight when I checked?
All replays welcomed!!!

itinifni

Up from the dust, but if your tires are wearing evenly, that is the camber of the rear suspension. If it is really driving you crazy, have an alignment done on it. It should be correct, or corrected at that point.

Return to “Quest Forum”