QR25DE

General discussion area for the L31-chassis Altima, including the 05-06 SE-R models.
jimmy.romero
Car: 05 altima 2.5

Replacing the head gasket for all the obvious reasons,I removed all the valves and springs and seals to have the head re decked just to make everything flat wasn't much warped, but enough to warrant it.so I properly bagged and tagged everything.as I'm going through the valves to do a lapping job to re seat the valves to the head. I get done with the exhaust side and begin with the first cylinder intake side. Big problem, the valve does not fit in the guide. I panicked, did I label something wrong? I tried every valve through the appropriate cylinder guide,and even mixed them up, keeping them labeled.every valve fits mixed matched guide in every cylinder except that one valve guide in that cylinder. must be bent our something? Machine shops are closed and wondering if I can change the guide myself or should I just get rid of the head all together now?

frapjap
Car: '99 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
'07 Subaru Legacy

Welcome to NICO!

I wouldn't fret and toss out the head just yet. The valve might be bent or warped- simple fix since its already apart.

However, I'd check out the FSM first.
Here at NICO, we have Factory Service Manuals available free to members. Take a peek at the link in my signature and find the FSM for your car and you'll have all the info you'll ever need to make the repair and try to diagnose it for yourself while help is on the way.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

Yeah, just replace the guide and the valve... it should be cheap enough.

jimmy.romero
Car: 05 altima 2.5

Thanks guys for the response. I took it back to the machine shop and it was just boogerd up a bit. I tend to think the worst false alarm. Now I'm in the process of putting out back together, valves lapped and new valve seals in.
QUESTION: valve lash, putting off back together requires me to check clearances??

Return to “3rd Generation Altima Sedan (2002-2006)”