QG18DE engine won't start

Got questions about your Nissan? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
buckjones
Car: Nissan Almera 1.8 Lux

2003 model Nissan Almera 1.8 manual (South African issue - not sure what the other equivalents are) fitted with QG18DE engine 250 000km on clock.
Initial problem: Intermittently car won't start - engine cranks but won't start. Starts after several attempts. Problem would go away for weeks and then re-occur again. Read up on WWW and found many hits on stretched timing chains. I found that, when the car fails to start, I put it in gear and just "tack" the starter it would fire at next try and run like a dream. On the odd occasion it would cut out while running - like loosing all power and then pull again.
Problem became worse to the point where it would fail completely - leave it for 1-2 hours and try again and then it will start and operate without hassle until recently when it failed completely. When cranking the engine I get the smell of petrol - checked for spark but could not any. Took of the valve cover and inspected the timing chain and saw that the tensioner protruded more than 12mm. Decided to replace timing chain - made sure crankshaft on TDC
Placed marked links on new chain on proper places and ensured valve time does not move during re-assembly. I tried starting after the operation, but no joy - dead as a duck! Still no spark. I note reference to Crank sensor and cam sensor....
Q. Where is the crank sensor located ?
Q. Can I test these sensors using a multi meter? and how?
Some say to disconnect the crank sensor and it should fire up? True/False? PLEASE HELP

buckjones

OK, I found the crankcase sensor in a hollow below the starter motor. A bugger to remove. It seems to be the same as the cam sensor so I'll swop them around this afternoon to see if the symptoms change.

buckjones

Bought a set of sensors - Cam and crank sensors are the same on this engine. Installed new sensors and at the same time decided to clean in and around the battery box. While cleaning the battery box I noted that the main earth cable from the battery has a lug in the middle earthing the battery to the body and the end of the earth cable is attached to the gearbox. Upon pulling on the end attache to the gearbox the cable came loose from the lug - a definite bad connection! Anyway, I fixed the earth cable and connected the new cam and crank sensors and she fired up on the 1st try! Now the question remains - was it the sensors or the earth cable? The engine is earthed to the body at several places. One thing is sure - I'm not swopping the new sensors with the old ones to find out! Anyone reading this post - before replacing the timing chain and sensors, check all earth cable carefully!

Return to “Nissan Online Mechanic”