QG18 pinging problem

A great resource for Nissan Sentra, Infiniti G20, 200sx, Pulsar, NX1600, NX2000, Tsuru, Primera and Sunny owners.
lincoln
Car: cars

I have a Nissan Primera (japanese version of the infinity G20) with a QG18 stuffed into it.....it pings like crazy between speeds of 20kmh-35kmh....I do use the highest octane rating avaliable in my country (Trinidad West Indies) which is believed to be aound 90....the plugs have 30k on them and the car came with PFR5B-11B....Is that the correct plug suited for tropical climate???....i also had to change the crank and cam angle sensors at least this is what the CARSCAN 2 came up with....I have try scanning the car when it pings but no codes come up....please someone help

NISTECH

see if the dealer has the coil kits for the coil boots. they have a resistor in them to prevent that problem. I am from the USA and that engine is in the nissan sentra. In 2000 there was a brief problem with that and we had to add those coil resistor kits to resolve it.

lincoln

where online can I purchase the coil kits...is there a part number that you can look research for me....also yesterday I added an octane booster 104+...and the pinging stopped at least 85%, however my friend who has the same car and engine has no pings whatsoever and uses the same gas as i use...I am really hoping that the "coil kit" would solve my problem...please help with the part number and a webpage that i can locate it.

Thanks

lincoln

can you email me a picture of what the coil kit should look like....also is there anyway of checking /testing of the present coils.....and finally do you have a telephone contact that i can get you....i would prefer to talk than type.....thanks a million

NISTECH

I will look today for the TSB covering the coil kits. As far as where to get them ,once I get you the part number you should be able to request them from any of the online dealers on this site. The part will only be offered by the dealer since it is a repair kit for the existing coils. you just add the spring and resistor inside the boot off the bottom of the coil.

As far as calling me on the phone.Trust me if you let your fingers do the typeing this repair will end up being alot cheaper. Remember I live in the USA. international calls get exspensive.

I will have the numbers for you tonight at 6pm my time. - 8 hrs GMT

lincoln

Quick question..if the TPS is faulty....what would be the results..."pinging" ? slugishness?....my TPS has six wires...two sets of red, white and black....someone told me that I should have the TPS replaced???...

NISTECH

tps wont have much of an effect on your timing unless it is flat out dead which puts you in base mode and wont adv by computer control. I looked for the bulliten and couldnt locate it in our asist computer data base. so tomorrow I have to inquire with one of the other techs if they remember it and also I will look through our printed copies of older bullitens and see if I can locate it that way. Its been some time since I have performed the repair so I may be wrong about it be the QG engine it may very well be the QR but it would have showed in the data base. So I am going to research it tomorrow and find out for sure. sorry I didnt locate it today but I should have an answer for you tomorrow.

lincoln

the sooner the better with that part number on the coil kits...i would be in Miami on Sunday 18th....so i would try to source it in miami....thanks

NISTECH

no problem gonna try to locate it today.

NISTECH

I tried several different methods of fonding the info on those parts with no sucess I do not have a paper copy of the bulliten. parts dept remembers it as well but cant find info on the part #s or weather or not it was that engine. Same holds for the other tech in the shop that was around when that bulliten came out. none of us can remember specific info on those parts. sorry guy.

EZcheese15
Car: 2012 Juke SV
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

NISTECH wrote:tps wont have much of an effect on your timing unless it is flat out dead which puts you in base mode and wont adv by computer control. I looked for the bulliten and couldnt locate it in our asist computer data base. so tomorrow I have to inquire with one of the other techs if they remember it and also I will look through our printed copies of older bullitens and see if I can locate it that way. Its been some time since I have performed the repair so I may be wrong about it be the QG engine it may very well be the QR but it would have showed in the data base. So I am going to research it tomorrow and find out for sure. sorry I didnt locate it today but I should have an answer for you tomorrow.

I don't know anything about this subject, other than it *wasn't* the QR...or else I *would* know about it :)

NISTECH

Ok I know this thread has been dead for awhile. But I did a little house cleaning in the shop yesterday and came across this bulletin in a stack of papers I had. This is the one I was thinking of and it is not for the QG its for the QR25DE and is listed only as being for the altima engine it is NTB01-074 it reffers to a check engine light for code P0340 cam sensor code. The bulletin says nothing of pinging but tech line had told me that if the car experianced pinging to use the parts from this bulletin. So they may work for your car to resolve the same problem but may not even work since its a different application then listed. When I spoke with techline it was regaurding an altima. but I will list the part number here if your interested in trying it.22468-6N225 to install them you simply pull the boot and stem off the coil ,dump out the old spring and slide in the new resistor and spring[resistor side toward the coil]. If you havent got this resolved by now give this a shot.

lincoln

thanks for the update....believe it or not...car still pings...and I do check your website often for any updates...i'll try and locate that part and see if it works....thanks

Return to “Sentra Forum / Infiniti G20 Forum / Pulsar / NX Forum”