Q70S Squeaky brakes

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
prsquash
Car: 06 M35 and 2012 M37

Hey guys,
Bought my 2016 Q70S just over 2 years ago. It had 41K kms, 25K miles, on it so relatively new. Going through the inspection when I bought it the brakes would squeak when I first release the brake pedal in reverse and sometimes going forward. Dealer agreed to change pads which got rid of the forward squeak but reverse still there. Dealer said happens with the big sport brakes. I don't believe a $70K car should have squeaky brakes. Car back in the shop just after Xmas last year as tranny was slipping in 2nd periodically, with just over 95K kms, 60K miles, I had them check it out. They pulled the pan and found metal in the bottom of pan.Tranny took almost 3 months to get changed( the part not the mechanic!). Didn't care cause they gave me a brand new QX50S to use. Long story short, they said they had to change the discs because it sat outside for 3 months without moving. Pads weren't covered so I had them changed as well, my cost, but they were due anyways.
Squeaking still there. Suspecting design flaw? Only thing left would be to change calipers? $$$ Not in my budget to waste money.
Anyone got same issue that got resolved? Suggestions?

Yoda's Master
Car: 2012 M56
2009 370z

it's normal and it'll squeak until you put caliper grease on all the contact points.
what do you mean by "discs"?
either way, they 95% scammed you on changing the "discs" cause the rust would have cleaned up on the first drive.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Yoda's Master wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:12 am
it's normal and it'll squeak until you put caliper grease on all the contact points.
either way, they 95% scammed you on changing the "discs" cause the rust would have cleaned up on the first drive.
+1. Dealerships often just put grease on the sliders and the backs of the pads, but that ignores the parts most likely to cause noise. That would be the shoulders, the square tabs that ride in the channels of the caliper bracket. Greasing those will shut up about 90% of noisy Nissan brakes.

madmanpauly
Car: 2011 Infiniti M56S

I bought my 2011 M56 S with 40k miles in 2014. I'm at 105k now and have loved it the entire time. The only time I had a brake squeak is for a short period where the rear pads were installed upside down. Totally my fault but when I put them in the correct way - and I use caliper grease the correct way - the squeaking went away permanently. It's a no-cost attempt...

prsquash

Yoda's Master wrote:
Thanks for the info. The "discs" are actually the rotors. It's a french carry over word that gets used often. Rotors we replaced at no cost to me, though I question WTF the mechanic is thinking because like you said, first couple breaking sessions would get rid of any surface rust and would save them $$. greasing the contact points would seem to be a standard practice so not sure if they are passing the bong around in the morning before starting the shift. I do my own breaks and never have any issues like this annoying one, but the vehicle is still under warranty so I don't want to give them a reason to say I did something.

prsquash

VStar650CL wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:32 am
Yoda's Master wrote:
+1. Dealerships often just put grease on the sliders and the backs of the pads, but that ignores the parts most likely to cause noise. That would be the shoulders, the square tabs that ride in the channels of the caliper bracket. Greasing those will shut up about 90% of noisy Nissan brakes.
Thanks for the info and yes that should be part of standard brake installation practices, but the squealing only happens on first release of the pedal, or rather the slow releasing that allows the car to move. I can make it squeal continuously by maintaining the same pressure on the pedal so that would eliminate the 'shoulder tabs' as the source because the pads would not be moving in or out, no?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

prsquash wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:02 am
greasing the contact points would seem to be a standard practice so not sure if they are passing the bong around in the morning before starting the shift.
It isn't standard. Nissan doesn't grease anything but the sliders at the factory and only specifies greasing the bottoms of the anti-rattle springs and backs of the pad insulators on most models. Anything else is up to the tech, and they don't always grease everything that really needs it.

madmanpauly
Car: 2011 Infiniti M56S

On the brake pads is a metal U-shaped tab which is the wear indicator. If that’s not in the correct position, I.e. upside down, the brake squeak just as you are describing. The pad itself for the rear fits both ways so it’s an easy mistake to make. Otherwise, you can simply cut it off:). From what you’ve said here. It’s the exact problem I had and that’s how it was fixed. It’s a pretty quick fix as well. Good luck to you!

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”