Q70L 5.6 non responsive transmission

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
Krys
Car: Infiniti Q70L 5.6

Hello this is the last straw with infiniti. If this can not be fixed im trading and never going back to infiniti. When transmission shifts into third gear it stays there no matter how much I press the gas and never downshifts. I have to floor it to get some responsiveness. Its soo annoying. If I want to change lanes and get in front of a car the transmission does not respond to me pressing the gas pedal further and further and further until finally I almost floor it for it to downshift and take off. I'm taking it to the dealer but it seems from online there is no fix. I will loose about 7000 on trading it smh.

Shanehsmp
Car: 2006 Infiniti M35x - Sold
2012 Infiniti M56x
2016 Infiniti QX70s

Do you ever use the manual shifting option? What happens when you try to go to 4th or to 2nd gear manually?

I have this similar issue on my QX70, which I understand is infuriating. In my case the transmission doesn't follow my gas pedal input. It downshifts too easily/early and doesn't allow me to increase engine RPM allowing me to upshift when necessary. Got caught pulling into traffic at 80 km/h and traffic was flowing at about 90 km/h and the car just wouldn't budge. Apparently there are fixes for the 7AT transmission that the dealers can do. Hope you get that figured out.

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Welcome to owning an M/Q70 Y51 :).

This is why I spend most of my time in manual mode. The transmission/ECU on this car is stupid. And the behavior gets worse when the car gets hot.

Krys

I have an appointment with dealer tomorrow we'll see. Its also going in for a clicking noise when taking off and when gears shift up and down. Even when car is parked I put it in drive and reverse my foot on the brake everytime it changes gears I hear a click noise. I pin pointed it to the drivers side rear wheel area. Ill update. If they can't fix the tranny I may have to go to a different brand vehicle. I'll stay positive. Infiniti was my go to Luxury performance without breaking the bank but come on. U really don't want to loose the money I invested on getting it. Its gotta be some trans software either aftermarket or something a trans tune to change shifting characteristics.

madmanpauly
Car: 2011 Infiniti M56S

I'm with Shane, I use manual mode when I need to shift quickly or simply stay in Sport mode. Does anyone know if this can be tuned??? Maybe UpRev could help? I don't know much about tuning so I'm really asking.

Mikesima

Hmmmm.....I've noticed a click when I put my car in reverse to park. Never thought much of it, but I'll bring it up to my dealer when I'm in for an oil change next Tues.

We can compare what's said next week.

Krys

Sounds good. My car stays in sport mode at all times it doesn't really help. My wife doesn't want to drive in stick mode. I read online that that clicking noise could be the axel needing grease or axel nut need tightening. We'll see for sure ill post what dealer says.

reggiebrown40
Car: 2018 Infiniti Q60 Red Sport
2011 Infiniti M56x - Dead

I had the clicking issue a few years ago. It was wheel bearings. They repacked them with grease and there was no issue afterwards.

Krys

Ok thanks hopefully they don't charge too much for that.

Shanehsmp
2012 Infiniti M56x
2016 Infiniti QX70s

I'm going to try the idle relearn on my QX70 tonight and drive it exclusively in manual mode - everywhere I've checked there really hasn't been a fix to correct the shifting issues EVERYONE with the Jatco 7AT is experiencing.

I did see a few cases where some upgraded their valve body with the old GTM kit, but they are no longer around. There's also a Level 10 upgraded Valve Body - you'd have to remove yours, send it in and they send you back an upgraded one.

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

UpRev can tweak some stuff to make the sluggishness to go away but no one really knows how to tune the M's other than basic A/F.

Oleg92
Car: 2003 Ford Taurus SE
2012 Altima 2.5
2007 G35 Journey RWD
Current car : 2012 M56S RWD

I think its just a the normal way the nissan and infiniti transmissions work. I guess they will tell you everything is fine.

my G35 was the same way and from what i hear and see peoples car behave the same exact way. Just like how when you get a bit of a slide it will kill the gas and would put your life at risk if your pulling out into the road and its wet on lets say a country HWY. To overcome this, take VDC off

Same thing happens with the transmission. See when you get to 30MPH your car would already be at a very high gear. Then when you want to pass somebody and mash it, it calculated what gear IT thinks it should be in, The more you press the Harder the acceleration would be, Unfortunately the car takes about 2-3 seconds to math it out, Also putting you at risk ( you want to pass them and mash it, they pass you and get in your lane seeing you going normal speed, and out of nowhere you 5-6k deep going 60). I know several of ways to overcome this situation. it is simply computer lag.

Try those methods.

Manaul mode would only truly work if you have the shift pedals. Dont get me wrong, you will still get a decent response with it on and at sport mode. But the pedals have a more direct link to the ECU and therefore you a gain a second. You can confirm with most people and it is a very easy upgrade to do yourself, not very expensive.

Second way is to Get uptune, that would remove some restrictions in the ECU.

From my experience i went to buy a new car this year and wanted to check out the Q50 and to my luck they had a M56s just came in so i went to test drive both. The q50 unforgettably did the same transmission lag as my G. it was so frustrating to find out a 2019 car still had a lag like a 2007.. i test drove the M and i have to say that it felt much smoother and the response was way way better, probably due to the shifters.

I think youll pretty much have to learn how to time it right. I have this slight hill when i get off the HWY and i hit a red light, So lets say i sit in the red light and go, if i got slow and accelerate and decide that i want to accelerate harder it will lag the whole operation untill i reached that little hill and suddenly decide to shoot. it will still drive but it wont accelerate more than snail speed... so heres what i do ;) my car has the shifters so i just start going like normal and a second or two later downshift to 2nd and it just feels like it should, suddenly your going the whole hill hard and it keeps going! i let it just drive that gear and it automatically goes back to D within 3 seconds.

With a DS car like my G i would just suggest to put the car in DS mode while your at the red light, accelerate normal. and then downshift to second and as soon as you feel like you dont want the sport mode just slap it to D.

Anyways goes hope this helps everybody good night :inoutgay:

mazz
Car: 2013 M37x Advance, Tech Touring and Premium, Black with Stone Interior

hasn't been a fix to correct the shifting issues EVERYONE with the Jatco 7AT is experiencing.
glad i read this 7 years with my 2013 m37x and i didn't know i had a problem!! and nobody who as driven with me mentioned it. is this only with m56
Last edited by mazz on Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shanehsmp
2012 Infiniti M56x
2016 Infiniti QX70s

Oleg92 wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:54 pm
I think its just a the normal way the nissan and infiniti transmissions work. I guess they will tell you everything is fine.

my G35 was the same way and from what i hear and see peoples car behave the same exact way. Just like how when you get a bit of a slide it will kill the gas and would put your life at risk if your pulling out into the road and its wet on lets say a country HWY. To overcome this, take VDC off

Same thing happens with the transmission. See when you get to 30MPH your car would already be at a very high gear. Then when you want to pass somebody and mash it, it calculated what gear IT thinks it should be in, The more you press the Harder the acceleration would be, Unfortunately the car takes about 2-3 seconds to math it out, Also putting you at risk ( you want to pass them and mash it, they pass you and get in your lane seeing you going normal speed, and out of nowhere you 5-6k deep going 60). I know several of ways to overcome this situation. it is simply computer lag.

Try those methods.

Manaul mode would only truly work if you have the shift pedals. Dont get me wrong, you will still get a decent response with it on and at sport mode. But the pedals have a more direct link to the ECU and therefore you a gain a second. You can confirm with most people and it is a very easy upgrade to do yourself, not very expensive.

Second way is to Get uptune, that would remove some restrictions in the ECU.

From my experience i went to buy a new car this year and wanted to check out the Q50 and to my luck they had a M56s just came in so i went to test drive both. The q50 unforgettably did the same transmission lag as my G. it was so frustrating to find out a 2019 car still had a lag like a 2007.. i test drove the M and i have to say that it felt much smoother and the response was way way better, probably due to the shifters.

I think youll pretty much have to learn how to time it right. I have this slight hill when i get off the HWY and i hit a red light, So lets say i sit in the red light and go, if i got slow and accelerate and decide that i want to accelerate harder it will lag the whole operation untill i reached that little hill and suddenly decide to shoot. it will still drive but it wont accelerate more than snail speed... so heres what i do ;) my car has the shifters so i just start going like normal and a second or two later downshift to 2nd and it just feels like it should, suddenly your going the whole hill hard and it keeps going! i let it just drive that gear and it automatically goes back to D within 3 seconds.

With a DS car like my G i would just suggest to put the car in DS mode while your at the red light, accelerate normal. and then downshift to second and as soon as you feel like you dont want the sport mode just slap it to D.

Anyways goes hope this helps everybody good night :inoutgay:
I co-sign ALL of this. I find that the paddle shifts are a little quicker, likely because of the small amount of movement needed to engage. I drive in DS mode pretty much all of the time, often having to downshift to 4th then revving the engine to get back to proper speed at the respective gear. Sucks, but seems to be the only way to deal with it ATM.

My M56 isn't on the street yet, but paddle-shifters are the first mod that will go on that I don't already have purchased yet.

Krys

The clicking noise was axel where meets bearing needs to be greased total of about $210 for diag and fix smh. They told me no updates for trans tcm thats the way it is glad theybwaived that charge. They said they recommend trans flush around 60 to 70k im about 60 so told them just do the trans service and at least I can say I did everything I could for the trans. Ill post again once driven after trans flush to see if any difference. The qx60 2020 i have for rental is the same thing but does respond better when you press the gas while rolling already. It jumps to like 100th gear after the second gear and its a 2020. After this is paid off im never buying another infiniti. My 05 yukon has better transmission response. I'm too much in the hole money wise to switch now. Other than that its a great car. I can get over it a little i just have to ham foot the gas pedal when I want to go and it will respond better.

Oleg92
Car: 2003 Ford Taurus SE
2012 Altima 2.5
2007 G35 Journey RWD
Current car : 2012 M56S RWD

Thanks Shanehsmp. Took me like a hour to type it all out, hopefully it makes sense

and Krys, i Did a transmission flush to my G when i had it and it made barely any difference besides running smoother. Otherwise this lag was still there, just FYI.

I think its just a whole infiniti computer thing. my best suggestion will be to install the pedal shifters and see if that helps you.

reggiebrown40
Car: 2018 Infiniti Q60 Red Sport
2011 Infiniti M56x - Dead

Krys wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:52 am
Ok thanks hopefully they don't charge too much for that.
I think it was like 80 bucks or so, not sure why but maybe it was a courtesy repair. I have a Q60 redsport now which is much more fun to drive and has a lot of performance options where the M56 has basically none. I'm out of the Infiniti game for sure now. There are a lot of other car options that I need to explore. It was ok when Infiniti was a slightly lower brand that offered near performance and features at a lower cost than the Germans. But now, they offer lower performance and less features at a higher cost than the Koreans......

Krys

So I'm sure I'm paying more than others for whatever reason because they told me 325 for full trans flush and refill. I read others paying around 250. And I'm letting them do the intake cleaner for 135. Hopefully if its any carbon in intake it will clean. I was too nervous to do it myself. And the fix for the clicking noise was grease needed where axel meets bearing. They charged me up for that too but didn't charge me for diagnosing trans and checking for updates because nothing could be done. I'm just hoping after trans flush and intake cleaner it will be at least a smoother transition. Well see. I thought I saw a posting of a guy flushing the tranny and it respo did better. Ill update i should have it back tomorrow. They recommended trans flush between 60 and 70k im at almost 60 now so I figure do it now and not have to worry about for the rest of the time I own the car. They recommend a full drivetrqin fluid change as well ill do that later. Other than that I can get a 4.7 sec 0-60 if I just floor it so not to bad. I will have to learn the car and adjust worst case.

Mikesima

Click was exactly what you guys said. Got charged 149cdn for the diagnosis. Referenced the tsb below.

ITB13-0008:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... VAQYwkRSQt

Krys

Trans fluid change and air induction from dealer and it feels a lot better from me and my wife. More responsive. Like the 2020 qx60 rental we had with same trans but v8 power.

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

Krys wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:38 pm
Trans fluid change and air induction from dealer and it feels a lot better from me and my wife. More responsive. Like the 2020 qx60 rental we had with same trans but v8 power.
Glad to hear you had a positive outcome! :yesnod

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”