Q70 Touch Screen and Controls Frozen

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
haleakalag

Ok, so had a new problem last night with my Q70. Turned car on and the upper half of the touch screen was dark/gray. The lower half showed the AC settings like usual, although it looked different/grayer. AC was blowing, but no other buttons worked. Could not change AC settings. Radio was on, but volume or channel change didn’t work. Essentially no buttons worked. Couldn’t do settings, status, etc. No Nav. Steering wheel voice command didn’t respond. Anyway, I turned car off and on a few times, radio, nav and controls partially came on. Initial few times voice commands didn’t work, finally started after around 20 minutes. I did the Settings/volume Diagnostics to see if anything showed up, and to reboot- nothing abnormal. Curious what anyone thinks. Definitely don’t want to go through this again.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Sounds like locked-up firmware in the head unit, but depending on your MY and options it could also be the TCU or some other controller causing a problem indirectly. It could also be your phone causing the problem, Apple in particular drives us nuts with updates that send the AV's into Wally World. I'd disconnect the battery for 5 minutes to make the system reboot cold, then delete your phone from the car and your car from the phone to force the bluetooth link to reboot cold.

haleakalag

Thanks VStar. Thanks for quick reply. It’s a 2017, base premium package. I’ll try the battery and Phone Delete today. The way it recovered bothers me. It wasn’t like the usual computer deal, where everything is back to normal right away. The first time it came back partially was after I pushed the climate control button after restarting. Another restart and it was gray again, except for the bottom screen with AC SETTINGS. Then screen normal, but voice commands weren’t working, and everything was sluggish. And Nav settings were off. By the time I had restarted 3-4 times and rebooted the System, seemed back to normal. Anyway, thanks for your ideas, hope it’s something benign. My washer fluid sensor went bad a few months ago, so getting expensive keeping old technology alive.

haleakalag

Today it’s really bad. First time I turned on the screen only showed the Infinity name, with nothing responding including the AC buttons. Then now it’s gray except for the AC settings, which work again.
Attachments
550B874A-361B-439E-AFE0-A057476BFB03.jpeg
5100A8E3-7B0A-42F2-8006-6363E5EA6C11.png

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

On the premium package the phone and bluetooth functions all go through the TCU and not the AV Unit, so it could be either one that has an issue. Both of them are high-tech gloms with multiple interrupt-driven modules, so it doesn't take much RAM corruption to send the whole system to Wally. Disconnecting the battery will usually cure that by forcing a wholesale re-read.

haleakalag

Disconnected battery. No change. Sits on the Infiniti logo for about a minute, then boots into screen where AC works and displays, but other buttons except for the camera button work. Can’t use Map, AM/FM/info, Settings, etc.

haleakalag

Thank again Vstar. Hi again. Thanks for your help. I disconnected the battery, and it’s the exact same. Infiniti logo screen on for a minute, with no control of anything including AC. At a minute the AC Settings appear at bottom of screen and AC controls work. But only camera button works. Never get to settings screen or other buttons working. It’s funny, the first start this AM it worked perfectly, but 2nd and all others stuck with this. Any other ideas? Thanks much.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

No, unless it's your phone causing it. The AV and TCU are both CAN-connected, so you might need a scan to find out which one is glitching. Usually when they lock up like that, whichever one is problematic will either have codes or be absent on CAN.

haleakalag

VStar. Thanks again. So if it’s the Av or the TCU, what does fixing it entail?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Probably replacing it. That's kind of nightmarish if it's the TCU, so we'll hope it isn't that.

haleakalag

After having battery disconnected the factory settings are reset like the steering wheel automatically raising up. I guess there’s no way to access settings anymore, since that and most buttons (except camera, radio on/off and volume) no longer respond.

haleakalag

Just went for a drive and the display and functions came back after 15 minutes. When I shut it off, and restarted, it wasn’t working again. Besides outright problems with TCU or other, is there any possible wire harness issue, loose connection? I purposely rode over some big bumps, but display came back much later.

haleakalag

One final other interesting thing. My washer fluid sensor light has not shut off for months, and I was scheduled to have it repaired next week (it’s built into reservoir, so can cut wires or replace reservoir). Anyway, now the light is off (last time off was August). Figure that one out.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

It doesn't sound like a wiring issue since it sometimes works but incorrectly. If it's a connection issue at all, it's more likely a cracked solder joint someplace in one of the units. Those tend to respond more to temperature than physical bumps. You can try disconnecting the battery for a full day to run down the backup battery in the TCU (they all have a built-on lipo). I think the washer lamp has to be a coincidence. Those are a simple float sensor with a grounding circuit, and when they fail it's usually because the float sticks. Sometimes they just unstick, over a bump or overnight.

haleakalag

Thanks again. Great help. Gary

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”