Q70 Seat Comfort and all around feel

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
haleakalag

Hi all. I decided to get rid of my beloved 2011 M37 with 49,000 miles, and pick up a 2017 Q70 to take its place. I did this without sitting in or driving a Q70 (bought from mainland in Hawaii). Anyway, I’ve had the car a week now, and must say I am underwhelmed compared to the M37 and was wondering if anyone else felt that way or other. Specifically, the seat comfort is less, and leather used seems not as plush. I just can’t get super comfortable despite so many seat settings, something too firm about it. All of them. The ride is similar, but the Q70 is definitely quieter inside. They still have antiquated blue tooth phone commands, where you always have to add something. I got the NAV package, I think they all have it. My old M37 stereo was better. All in all, with exception of newer car feel and drive, less little dings, etc, I actually think it is a slight downgrade. Any thoughts???

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Not to be dismissive and hopefully not offensive but...it's in your head man. The 2011 M (37 or 56) is 100% the same thing as a 2017 Q70, at least on the interior in terms of the physical seat itself. I've been around these forums since 2010 and I'm not aware of any interior changes that happened with the 2014 re-badge or the 2015 external facelift when compared to the original 2011 M design.

I know some of the packages have slightly upgraded leather covering for the seats. For example, I have the Java interior which is only available with the top of the line full kit M's...and a suede headliner. Otherwise, my seat I believe is identical to any other seat (the foam, padding, bolsters, etc.) of any other M with any other package...

Someone correct me if I'm wrong and I'll eat crow.

Mjkkb2
Car: 2018 QX60 AWD, 2011 M37S, 2011 Quest, 2001 I30t(sold)

Actually there is a difference betweenIf the sport and non-sport seats. The sports have extra bolsters and are firmer than the regular seats. I think you’re spot on on the different leather availability.

haleakalag

Thanks for the comments. I'm not a seat or upholstery expert, so it's just a feel thing. My wife noticed it immediately also, and we've been playing with the up and down seat adjustment to try and make it not so firm- driver and passenger seats. My 2011 M37 had super plush cushioned fine leather seats, just came with the base first year for the M series. These are not plush, soft or cushioned like prior. They look different. Subtle, but after spending so much time in the M it's apparent. The ride is better just from being newer, and definite quieter/lower DB. The sonar/parking cameras are excellent. But all in all have to say I'm slightly disappointed, and should have test driven the various models and maybe tried something besides the Base w Nav setup. We love Infiniti's. My wife has the Convertible, and before these we had G35 coupe and J30. All with no dealer here on Maui.

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Mjkkb2 wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:50 am
Actually there is a difference betweenIf the sport and non-sport seats. The sports have extra bolsters and are firmer than the regular seats. I think you’re spot on on the different leather availability.
Oh okay. Thanks for the detail. It looks like OP had a non-sport M37, so not sure what the difference would be.

OP, it's possible your M37 seats felt softer because they were 'broken in' more than the Q70 seats? You know, new car and all...

I'd take harder seats if it meant I could live in the tropic paradise that is Hawaii lol. My seats sometimes are rock hard due to the -20 temps we have here in upstate New York lol.

haleakalag

I hear what you’re saying. My first car was a Fiat X1/9 in Buffalo, New York. I got it around New Years. That week I couldn’t find it for a day or so after a blizzard covered the street. I remember how firm the seats were, made a strange sound when sitting. We used lighters to heat up key/lock. The whole car sounded funny. And the giant potholes. Yes, I’ll take a firmer seat in Hawaii. Well, maybe for a few more months. I still love INFINITI, maybe need to actually sit in some before buying next one. Thanks. G

haleakalag

Unfortunately I figured this out. I really failed in not doing my homework, and now have an inferior vehicle compared to my old M37. Unless one buys the Deluxe Touring package, all the Base, Base Premium packages come with leatherette- IMITATION leather. Also, the seats are not bolstered except with leather in he Deluxe package. So the majority of sold Q70s have the inferior seats. No wonder my old M, even 6 years later, was much more comfortable and luxurious. Now I hope I can sell it sometime soon. Despite my love for Infiniti, between this and my wife’s vert melting dashboard at 20,000 miles, I will re-evaluate models and pay more attention to consumer issues.

Frog
Car: 2011 M56s

Wow fake leather what’s next for Infiniti cloth seats. And that variable tranny. I know it’s on the qx60 but If that happens I am out.

Larz
Car: 2019 Q70-L RWD

Below is the chart showing the changes in dimensions of the M to Q class Infiniti. As you can see, at the advent of the 37/56 models, the car shrunk to be a more 'euro-friendly' size, losing about 4 cubic ft of space inside. I used to notice it back when my loaners were M37's and still notice it today when I'm given a Q70. The Q70L has more rear leg room as expected, but the current sedan has kept the same proportions since the start of the M37/56 models. So .... the seats after the M35 series should all be the same seat size. As far as comfort and "feel", I reckon the newer vehicles, as expected, have lower quality seats as standard since leather is now an extra-cost option on most models but I doubt the actual seat construction has changed significantly. I wonder if leatherette might be more durable and last longer than real leather. This could be a good thing. Infiniti have NEVER used leather that matches the quality of Mercedes or Jaguar, coming closer to just average levels used by most car makers.

................M35 / M45....M37 / M56.....Q70.......Q70L
F leg room.......45.3..........43.3 .........43.3 ......43.3
F hip room.......55.1......... 53.3 .........53.3.......53.3
F head room.....40.1..........39.1..........39.1.......39.1
R leg room.......38.3..........36.1..........36.1.......42.8
R hip room.......54.9..........52.5..........52.5.......52.5
R head room ....39.6..........38.1..........38.1.......38.1
INT Cubic Ft....106.8.........102.6........102.6......111.5

haleakalag

The leatherette may hold up better, that remains to be seen. Our leather seats in 3 prior Infiniti's get very discolored from sunscreen if not careful, so probably won't be much worse. But I'm much more concerned about the cheapening of the brand with the base model, and the discomfort relative to the prior plush seat. Received it on Monday, trying to sell it starting yesterday. I hope to actually sit in some with deluxe touring and see if the difference is worth the hassle. Frankly, Infiniti should no better. Their older generation M's and even J class were works of art.

Jfpq70
Car: 2014 Q70

I have the deluxe touring package and I find the seats very comfortable. These are the second best seats I have had second only to our BMW X5 multicontour seats which cost us 2000. I am quite satisfied with the seats in my q. Good luck finding a touring package to try, I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

haleakalag

Thanks, Deluxe touring is what I needed. For what they charge, that should be the standard seat for all non sport models.

hulk1602
Car: 2013 M37

I've had my 2013 M37 for over a year now and I agree about the seat comfort lacking. I actually added some extra foam to the seat bottom which helped with cushioning and added some bolstering but the bottoms themselves are still just too short to provide enough thigh support.

Mjkkb2
Car: 2018 QX60 AWD, 2011 M37S, 2011 Quest, 2001 I30t(sold)

hulk1602 wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:29 am
I've had my 2013 M37 for over a year now and I agree about the seat comfort lacking. I actually added some extra foam to the seat bottom which helped with cushioning and added some bolstering but the bottoms themselves are still just too short to provide enough thigh support.
I agree, wish tey came with the nifty extenders they offered in Japan. Doesn't the new Q70 come with bottom extenders????

Larz

My recurring trouble spots come from blue jeans (they discolor the leather) and assorted lotions that the lovely Mrs Beresford uses to keep her skin soft, silky, and dare I say ...edible LOL.
To combat this, I do the following at least once per month: I gently scrub with warm water and a boar's head brush to loosen any sand, dirt, etc. Then vacuum with the crevice attachment, being careful NOT to drag the tool too heavily against the perforations, then use the brush attachment to vacuum the rest of the seat surfaces. Now I'm sure I unclogged the perforations, and removed anything that may scratch the surfaces during the next step. I use a good quality leather cleaner (Griot's, Chemical Guys, etc) and gently massage the entire seat surface and the head rests with the same boar's head brush, wiping after with a clean microfiber towel. I then use Griot's leather rejuvenator and massage it into the surface with a soft applicator. I let it sit overnight if possible, but at least an hour or two allowing the leather to absorb it. Then I wipe off any remaining rexcess with a clean microfiber towel. The result is a car that smells like brand new leather and the surfaces like 'buttah'.

haleakalag

Hi Lars- Would that cleaning protocol apply to the Leatherette also?? Or should something else be used? Thanks

M37xfan
Car: Traded in 2012 Infiniti M37x

hulk1602 wrote:
Do you have the Deluxe touring package? That comes with the extra seat bolstering. My car has that package and it makes a huge difference. Wasn't too long ago I had my car in for service and they gave me q70 loaner. I noticed the difference right away. It was like night and day!!

haleakalag

No, unfortunately I didn't do my research and picked up the base package with Premium. It's Leatherette and very uncomfortable. I sold my 2011 M37 which was also a base premium, much nicer and more comfortable than new one, even 7 years later. So now I'm trying to sell the 2017, and pick up one with the Deluxe Touring. Glad to hear that's the answer.

Larz

haleakalag wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:36 pm
Hi Lars- Would that cleaning protocol apply to the Leatherette also?? Or should something else be used? Thanks
If I'm honest, I have no experience with leatherette. I reckon it is a vinyl-based material so any product that says it can be used on vinyl AND leather should do fine. As far as the actual vacuum and brushing procedures - they will work just as well on leatherette.

Larz

At first, I was disappointed to see that Infiniti "stooped" so low as to use fake leather. But Merecedes has never provided leather interior unless you pay an extra $1,500 for 'standard' leather or an extra $3,000 for 'nappa' leather. Otherwise you get a material called MB-tex. I assume that is leatherette by a better sounding name.
I googled it and sure enough:
MB-Tex seat upholstery is a form of vinyl material used in Mercedes-Benz base trims. MB-Tex is a generally easier to clean and maintain than leather. When cleaning leather seats, they must be properly treated and conditioned to maintain their luster. Cleaning MB-Tex upholstery is quicker and easier, as it takes no more than a basic vinyl seat cleaner and brush. MB-Tex material also is less susceptible to cracking and sun damage than leather upholstery. Additionally, it’s not made from animal hide, which may or may not be a factor for you to consider.

haleakalag

I see what you’re saying. If it weren’t for the fact that my J30, G35 Coupe, Wife’s G37 Convertible, My 2011 M37 all had beautiful comfortable cushioned leather seats with the base models, I wouldn’t have cared. I would have done my homework before buying the Q70. It never entered my mind they would downgrade the seats. I just finished a long trip, renting various cars like Toyota Avalon and Chrysler 200, and both were much more comfortable than the Q seats. Just my personal preference, I really dislike firm stiff seats. My friend only drives BMW, Audi and MB and thinks the seats are ok. Not me. Hopefully someone will buy it soon so I can import another Q with Deluxe Touring to Maui.

hulk1602
Car: 2013 M37

M37xfan wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:01 am
hulk1602 wrote:
Do you have the Deluxe touring package? That comes with the extra seat bolstering. My car has that package and it makes a huge difference. Wasn't too long ago I had my car in for service and they gave me q70 loaner. I noticed the difference right away. It was like night and day!!
I do and while the leather itself is very nice I did not notice a big difference between the bolstering or shape in mine versus the base seats. Maybe it just my posture or shape but I can never really get comfortable. I never feel like I'm in the seat but rather on top of it. I've sat in a few other cars recently and I've found the bottom of most seats a little too short for proper thigh support. Maybe I need to look at more European models or something with sport seats next time (my last car was a Volkswagen CC and those fit me pretty well not to mention the leatherette felt great and held up well).

Larz

I'm still driving my 2009 M35. Those years, the seats were made very well, provide just the right amount of bolstering so you feel firmly planted but very comfy. Mine have the tilting headrests that were dropped at the start of the 37/56 models. I have mine tilted forward so if I let my head drop back ever sop slightly, it cradles the back of my head. I also have forward-sliding arm rests over the console so my long arms get planted perfectly (also dropped after 2010).
Infiniti haven't made a seat as nice as mine since 2010. My rear seats recline and have temp control, but I think they are too stiff. Feels like I'm sitting ON them instead of IN them. That's how all the Inifniti driver seats feel to me in every model after 2010.

haleakalag

Good review of those seats Larz. The M35s were a fantastic luxury car, and still hold up well today. Hearing your comments makes me even more disgusted with myself for assuming a 2017 Q70 would have seats of similar quality to prior generation vehicles (without purchasing some additional package). I spent 45 minutes trying every possible seat adjustment today and finally quit, so firm. Not much market here for Q70s (no dealership), so may not be able to sell it before I need a pillow. Maybe deluxe touring seats on Ebay.

Bugman
Car: 2015 Q70L 5.6

I owned a 2008 M35 pretty well loaded. The only thing that bugged me was the five speed transmission vs seven speed. (Available in 2009 and later). So I found a used 2015 Q70L on the internet with the 5.6 V8 that automatically adds many options. The only thing it did not have is Illuminated door sills-I may add them later-and spoiler-not interested. I'm small framed, 5'7" about 160#. The M35 seat cradled me on the sides, like a competition seat, but not obnoxious, actually felt good. The first thing I noticed on the Q70 was no side support like the M35. I was a little put off but been driving it three years now and am used to it. Someone bigger than me may feel the side bolsters but I don't. I'm enjoying the car too much to fret over the seats.

haleakalag

Bugman, sounds like an awesome car. I like the L's and may try to get one if I ever sell my Q70. Besides what you've described, how would you rate the firmness/comfort and leather of your Q driver seat vs the M series. Thanks.

Qusserel

To feel sowed comfortable is very important.

Bladebringer

Comfort when traveling should be maximized. Both for the driver and for passengers. We often go out with the family with tents out of town, go a long way, so we bought high-quality travel cushions. Here you can see the options http://pregily.com/travel-pillows/ On the road, such things are indispensable)

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”