Q70 5.6 Overheating when idling

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
fabM45
Car: 2003 M45

I just purchased a 2016 Q70L AWD 5.6L with 80k miles and it has an issue with overheating at idle. Also the AC doesn't blow cold until you start driving. The coolant overflow reservoir only had about a half inch of coolant but I filled it to in between the min and max lines with nissan blue coolant but the problem still persists. I believe my fans may not be turning on, or maybe just the AC condenser fan but haven't had a chance to check it. Does anyone have the part number for the OEM fan control module? All I see on infinityusa is the cooling fan 21481-1BH0B @ $883 and fan motor 21487-JF00B @ $424. I recall reading a post about just replacing the module which was much cheaper but cannot seem to find that post. Any info would be greatly appreciated

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

On your ride each fan has its own 50A fusible link with its own embedded controller on each fan. Control is through the IPDM on request from the ECM via CAN (the ECM monitors engine temp and tells the IPDM what to do). The weak link in the system is that the relays are daisy-chained, so a blown relay fuse (fuse 42 in the IPDM) or a bad Fan Relay 1 will disable both fans. Here's your IPDM layout and the relay locations:

16 Q70L Components.png
16 Q70L IPDM.png

EdBwoy

The fan control module is part # 21493-4GA0A
I would do a little more troubleshooting before purchasing it though.

1. Open your hood and check the fans to see which one is running at idle, if at all
2. Turn your AC on to force both fans to run
3. Switch the control module between the left and right fan and repeat #2

Good luck, and please keep us updated.
https://youtu.be/uLGS3XnybWU

fabM45

Well I can confirm that neither of the fans turn on at all even when the engine is hot and AC is on. Went ahead and tested radiator cap and thermostat, both are working well. Tested continuity of both 50A fusible links, both are good. Tested cooling fan 1 and 2 relays and both are good. Tested continuity of fuse 42 in the IPDM and its fine. I can confirm that each fan has its own control module, not just one like I had originally thought lol...So if everything is daisy chained, it seems odd to have both fans dead and not find a bad relay or fuse. I guess next step would be to check each fan individually with a multimeter before and after the control modules to see if they're getting power?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Those fans are a weird setup, they're brushed-DC but the controllers run them variable speed like a brushless. So the controllers are actually acting as SSR's (solid-state relays). The speed is controlled by a PWM signal from the IPDM on the Purple wire (pin 97 on the IPDM, it's common to both controllers). Your meter will see that as an analog voltage between 0V (fans off) and 5V (full speed). If you're not seeing voltage on Purple as the car gets warm, either the PWM driver in the IPDM is bad or you have shorted wiring. If you do have voltage, power the fans manually with a good ammeter (at least 20A) attached to see how much they draw. They'll peg your meter momentarily when they start up, but healthy ones should draw no more than 15A at a steady full speed. Identifix indicates it's not uncommon for them to draw too much current as they age and blow up the FETs in the controllers. It's also not uncommon for one controller to fail and go unnoticed until the second one fails, like people not noticing a headlight out until the second one goes.

fabM45

Update - I bought and installed 2 new controllers from infinitoepartsdirect.com part #214934GA0A both fans would spin after kick starting by hand but wouldn't stay running. I didn't have an ammeter to test how many amps they were pulling, but figured something was wrong with the fans since they would spin on their own after kick starting and would stay running by physically pressing down on the edges of fan blades with my hand (wouldn't recommend lol)

Bought and installed Dorman Part # 620-740 from Summit Racing. This is the fan assembly that comes with 2 controllers already installed. Part is different from the 3.7 vs 5.6. Started the car cold with AC off and radiator fan started right away. Condenser fan turned on right away after turning on the AC. The only issue I have with this part is that the radiator fan is always on when the car is on whether the engine is hot or cold. Condenser fan only turns on when the AC is on, which is correct operation. I read some posts about this issue before that was fixed by installing a good quality oem controller. Eventually I may try to swap the controllers with the ones I bought from infinitoepartsdirect but for now I am just happy the car doesn't overheat at idle anymore. Apparently the fans were the issue all along.

Thank you everyone for the advice, hopefully this info can help someone else in the future. 👍

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

Thank you for the update!
Glad you got it sorted out and can now fully enjoy your beautiful Infiniti!

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”