Q50S Red Sport Tire Cupping

In 2014, the G37 Sedan became Infiniti Q50. G37 Coupe and Convertible became Infiniti Q60 under Infiniti's new naming structure - Here's the place to discuss the Q50 and Q60!
mikeyg00
Car: M35

I brought my 2016 Red Sport in to investigate tire noise. It's a whup whup whup helicopter type sound.

Their diagnosis: tire cupping. They didn't offer any treatment, just kinda shrugging it off as abnormal wear.

I'm home and reading that the cause is typically related to suspension problems, which was never mentioned...

I'm not mechanical or technical at all, so keep replies simple...

I don't see an issue do you?

*** EDITED: image not supported ***

macgiver

mac,Questionable tires can be a huge factor , what are they? Say you have 'S' rated tires AND of an entry level pricepoint of a CRAPPY brand - I saw a video of such poor tire performance ,slow mo , and the wobbling and deformation whilst rotating highway speed was shocking water balloon-like.There was in 60's TV show "The Prisoner" , had a fictitious "Monster" security force of "controlled weather balloons" and SH!%TTY tires look & act just like the ROVERS in the show - all bellowing DISCOMBOBULATING. Now your crappy tire gets to RESONATE a BAD VIBE at your steady,gas-miserly-highway speed (those road repair patches every 10 ft MAGNIFY) , that is the "perfect storm" for bouncing ,causing cupped wear evenly and distributed in a "pattern" around said crappy tire. If NOT this THEN goto looking at a REAL suspension problem :chuckle:

mikeyg00
Car: M35

I'll have what MacGyver is having....

macgiver

:rotflmao mac, could be a "selection" ,me Captain Kirk and that Baby alien runni'n solo usually start off with a few shots of TRANIA , and Macgyver by the way is my Evil twin :facepalm:

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

Image or video is not working or I'm simply late to the party

The problem is either crappy tires or your suspension has a problem. Bad shocks can cause tires to have this issue or the tires are the crappy factory run flats and simply need to be replaced. If these are the factory run flats then replace them with a different brand and notice a whole new level of enjoyment from the vehicle. I suggest ContiExtreme DW (DWS06 if all season needed) or Pilot Super Sport (A/S if all season needed)

Larz
Car: 2019 Q70-L RWD

macgiver wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 2:35 pm
mac,Questionable tires can be a huge factor , what are they? Say you have 'S' rated tires AND of an entry level pricepoint of a CRAPPY brand - I saw a video of such poor tire performance ,slow mo , and the wobbling and deformation whilst rotating highway speed was shocking water balloon-like.There was in 60's TV show "The Prisoner" , had a fictitious "Monster" security force of "controlled weather balloons" and SH!%TTY tires look & act just like the ROVERS in the show - all bellowing DISCOMBOBULATING. Now your crappy tire gets to RESONATE a BAD VIBE at your steady,gas-miserly-highway speed (those road repair patches every 10 ft MAGNIFY) , that is the "perfect storm" for bouncing ,causing cupped wear evenly and distributed in a "pattern" around said crappy tire. If NOT this THEN goto looking at a REAL suspension problem :chuckle:
I definitely agree. The more performance your car has, the more choice and style of tires becomes. You can put standard quality tires on a red sport. Well, you 'can' but this is what you get. Try 'high performance all season' category. They will cost more per tire, but you will replace them half as often - making up for the higher cost. Also do ALL 4 tires at once if you can, with an alignment.

Return to “Infiniti Q50 / Q60 Forum”