Q50S and an LSD

In 2014, the G37 Sedan became Infiniti Q50. G37 Coupe and Convertible became Infiniti Q60 under Infiniti's new naming structure - Here's the place to discuss the Q50 and Q60!
RicerX
Car: '20 Titan Pro4X

So my technical peoples...

I am beginning an analysis of parts that are truly shared between the 370Z and the Q50. The first thing that stuck out to me about this car is that there isn't a true LSD. The aftermarket for the Q50 is largely catering to the Japanese VIP scene, however Stillen has already put out an application of its famous 370Z supercharger kit for the Q50, and I imagine it wasn't a lot of rework given the architecture is largely the same. That led me to believe that there is potentially greater opportunity to leverage the Z's aftermarket for this car.

Quaife makes a fantastic LSD for the 370Z, and what I'm trying to figure out is that since the transmission assemblies for the Z and the Q50 in automatic form are similar, perhaps you can use the same Quaife differential available for the Z in the Q50 since both cars are available in a base automatic with a base differential? They'd have to be somewhat similar - similar enough that the guts are swappable.

I know they're not the same thing - the part numbers in the Infiniti and Nissan databases don't match at all for either the transmission assembly or the differential assemblies. I'm mainly looking to see if anyone has any experience.

mexillis
Car: M45s

are you saying the Q50s has an open diff or you do not like the VLSD? Im sure if you have the funds you can make a shop install the Quaife LSD. It seems like a lot of parts fit the Q from the Z/G platform, i dont see why the diff or whole pumpking wouldnt.

RicerX

The entire Q50 line is devoid of any LSD, so the Q50S is open diff. There was a lot of confusion here because originally it was supposed to carry on with an LSD option as the G37S had a VLSD setup.

RicerX

I'm still looking into this. I am going to contact Z1 Motorsports to see if they can provide any insight - they sell a ton of the Quaife diffs for the Z/G platform. Apparently the application for the automatic cars fits the 350/370/G37 lines. I can't imagine it's a far cry to stuff it into the Q50.

RicerX

Well, after vigorously combing through our handy dandy service manuals here on the site (located at NICOClub.com/FSM for those of you not in the know), I have found the following:

The 350/370Z, the G35/37 sedans and coupes all utilize an R200 rear differential. The Infiniti Q50 utilizes an R190. They're not the same assembly, unless someone has better information about the differences between the two. This is new territory for me.

I'm not sure if Quaife or anyone else makes an LSD to pop into an R190 diff, but for now, it seems as though I'm at a dead end on this one.

I'm hoping to round up the FSM for the 2016 Q50 Red Sport so I can see if they're still using an R190 diff with all the extra torque that car is making. I'm sure the aftermarket will get behind that car far better on the "go fast" bits than what we've seen so far on the Q50S 3.7. This may be a rear-end-swap job down the road if there isn't a solution for an R190.

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

Yeah, I will be watching what Infiniti does concerning this in regards to the Q60 coupe when it comes out. I have AWD with the Q50s so I'm less concerned with factory LSD as the transfer to the front ensures traction.

Return to “Infiniti Q50 / Q60 Forum”