Q50 Red Sport Owners: Info/Opinions Needed!

In 2014, the G37 Sedan became Infiniti Q50. G37 Coupe and Convertible became Infiniti Q60 under Infiniti's new naming structure - Here's the place to discuss the Q50 and Q60!

Why would you recommend this car over the Audi S4?

Performance?
40%
Price?
20%
Styling?
20%
Reliability?
20%

Total votes: 5

soxside

Before I head in for a test drive does anyone have some good experience with this car yet? Looking to get reviews/opinions on these items below:

1. Does it make sense to get the upgraded DAS package and why?
2. How well do the tires hold up and can the stock rims use non-run flats?
3. Is the maintenance schedule the same for the Red Sport as it is for the other Q50's?
4. Any issues with the electronics? ie; buggy software, recalls, etc?

RicerX
Car: '20 Titan Pro4X

I do not own a Red Sport myself, but I have studied it extensively, and when I was buying my 2015 Q50S, I had cross-shopped the S4. I will answer your questions based on what I know:

1) I'm not a big fan of the DAS. I prefer a traditional steering system until they get a couple generations of refinement into the design. It's brand-new tech, and I'm not aware of any other automaker deploying such a system. If you'd like to have the option to tune your steering setup, it is very neat - you'll just have a risk there. In the Red Sport, it is very much improved from the first gen system in the 14-15 models. My advice is to test drive both - with and without DAS.

2) I'm on the same tires with my Q, just different rear sizes. I'd say I'm about 50% through them at 20k miles. The wheels can absolutely mount non-RF tires if you like.

3) I haven't gotten my hands on the service manual for the 16 Q50s yet, so I'm not sure. So far, I assume it's the typical 5k maintenance interval.

4) They have further revised the InTouch system for the 16s, and it got a hardware overhaul in 2015. The only severe InTouch bugs were largely relegated to the 2014 models. I don't expect much trouble there other than the quirks designed into the system. However, Android Auto is likely to make it into many Infiniti models as early as MY2017, and I'd be VERY curious to see how that changes the InTouch experience.

As far as recalls, none yet, but I'm anticipating something due to the many reports of accessory belts being sheared off of the Red Sport so far. This is the first year with a brand-new motor that hasn't ever been deployed with any vehicle before, so these things are going to happen. The rule of thumb is to not buy a clean-sheet powertrain in its first model year for obvious reasons, and that holds true with the Red Sport.

Audi has made great strides to improve reliability, but in models as new as 2014, I found many reports of transmission issues. I have not found the Audis to ever be reliable in that regard. If you've noticed, Audi has ditched the DCT offered in the outgoing S4 to go back to a traditional automatic like the Q50 starting in 2017 (or 2016? I can't remember the refresh MY for the Audi offhand.) They will also no longer offer a manual in the new S4.

The 7AT in the Q50 is pretty solid, but I know the torque rating it's built for is exceeded with the Red Sport's motor, and I'm not sure if they made revisions to the transmission to accommodate - I can't find anything definitive from Jatco or Nissan on the matter. Hopefully they have. Infiniti V6s have always been rock solid - this isn't anything new, and aside from a couple initial tweaks, I expect the 3.0TT in the Red Sport to be no exception. The Red Sport makes more power than the S4, but I haven't seen a direct comparison between the two in actual pavement delivery of said power, and how each handles. I can't imagine them being very far apart.

Styling - that's all in the eye of the beholder. I find both cars very much attractive.

Hope that provides some perspective! Good luck in your search.

When I priced my Q50S, I found myself about $7,000 apart from a comparably equipped S4 (2015 for 2015). The Red Sport and its packaging isn't much different from the 3.7L S in its pricing, so I expect the pricing difference to favor the Infiniti here.

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Welcome to NICO!

Personally I wouldn't get the driver assistance package, but that's just my opinion. While on paper those features are really nice, I don't like them for a few reasons:

1. You tend to get used to them, and then tend to not pay attention to things when they're not there. Example, my parents had a car with blind spot monitoring, and another one without. My dad was already bad about not checking his blind spot, and then became very used to to the blind spot monitoring, but when he'd drive the other car without it, he'd be cutting people off left and right.

2. I find all those things constantly blinking/beeping/intervening distracting.. It's almost like you have to have them there because your attention is constantly being taken from the road.

3. More things to break.

The stock rims can absolutely use non-run flat tires. Of course, how well your tires hold up is purely a function of how you drive. On a RWD car with performance tires, I wouldn't expect more than 20-30k out of the rears. I hate staggered wheel/tire setups because you can't rotate, in the case of the Q50 I'd consider running (4) front wheels (19x9) with 245s all around.

As far as I can tell maintenance schedule is the same.

I think as far as the powertrain goes it will be hard to say for sure how things will be since this is the first year for the 3.0T. I'm sure it will be fine as Nissan has plenty of experience with this type of thing.

Best of luck, let us know how you like it once you drive one!

PhillyKach400
Car: q50 red sport - Iridium Blue

Hello there,

I'm new to the forum and wanted to get in on the discussion on this car. I just picked up an Iridium Blue RS400 (Premium Plus package only) this last week. It's a 10k/year lease for 39 months. I didn't opt for the loaded package as I don't really think there are needed, and think those systems interfere with the driving experience of the car.

Regarding service, my dealer told me i'd only need to do a full synthetic oil change service once every 10k miles. Kind of nice! Also, I asked about any expensive service intervals...answer: no. just routine service just like any other Q50. don't know if he was full of S#%@, but we'll see. So far I love the car! If anybody has any questions, let me know.

Vapingmadmechanic

10k oil changes on all the new 3.0L motors. 5k on the tire rotations. No more Maintenence reminder notification like we are used to seeing, it's based on Oil Life like some other manufacturers.

You can still set Maintenance reminders if you like under the Maintenance Note feature on the InTouch lower screen.

You can definitely run NonRun-Flat tires, but keep in mind that you might not have a spare tire.

RicerX

Vapingmadmechanic wrote: 5k on the tire rotations.
Not applicable on the RS400 RWD models though - staggered setup. I'm pretty sure the AWD models are all square though.

RicerX

PhillyKach400 wrote:Hello there,

I'm new to the forum and wanted to get in on the discussion on this car. I just picked up an Iridium Blue RS400 (Premium Plus package only) this last week. It's a 10k/year lease for 39 months. I didn't opt for the loaded package as I don't really think there are needed, and think those systems interfere with the driving experience of the car.

Regarding service, my dealer told me i'd only need to do a full synthetic oil change service once every 10k miles. Kind of nice! Also, I asked about any expensive service intervals...answer: no. just routine service just like any other Q50. don't know if he was full of S#%@, but we'll see. So far I love the car! If anybody has any questions, let me know.
Awesome purchase! How do you like the car so far? WELCOME ABOARD!

rmyAddison
Car: 2016 Q50 Red Sport

See my response to "I will buy a 17 Q50 ....." thread, it answers all your questions.

Short version, I love my '16 Q50 Red Sport, it beats the Germans unless you spend a lot more, the engine is fantastic, the car is fast......

See my long post on the other thread, love the car.

strikemyrmidon
Car: Current:
2016 Infiniti Q50 Red Sport | Graphite Shadow

Past:
2008 BMW M3 | Melbourne Red
2006 Volvo S60 | Silver
2001 Porsche 911 Turbo | Basalt Black
1993 Mazda RX-7 | Vintage Red

@RicerX: The guy you quoted is on a lease.

I bought a '16 Red Sport a few months ago. Absolutely love the car. One major complaint I have is that Infiniti's build quality seems to have dropped when it comes to the interior. My car definitely rattles from both doors with mild base and I'm not the only one.

1. Does it make sense to get the upgraded DAS package and why?

I got the car fully loaded. I actually enjoy the DAS package linked up to the Tech package. I do a lot of cross country road trips with the wife and it makes driving long distances a breeze. With Active Lane Assist, it takes minimal effort to drive on the highway. To say that you'd get used to it and become a bad driver when you drive another vehicle is nonsense in my opinion. The techniques are there and checking blind spots isn't a perishable skill.

2. How well do the tires hold up and can the stock rims use non-run flats?

No idea on this one. I've only had the car for 9000 miles now and it seems to be holding up fine. I got the wheel and tire protection however and already replaced a rim (curb rash) and a tire (pot hole bubbling). If I were you and you are picking up a new Q50 though, I'd definitely opt for the non run-flats. If you get the AWD like I did, you'll get the Dunlop SP Sport 5000M DSST. These tires are LOUD in my opinion. I've driven this vehicle for a couple long road trips (over 800 miles one way) and the road noise on these tires made me want to just ditch them at the nearest tire shop and get them replaced. I mean, I wouldn't cause that's a complete waste of money. Plus, as I stated earlier, I have the wheel & tire package for 5 years so I'm sure I'll never have to replace my tires until the warranty expires on it as NYC/NJ roads are atrocious.

3. Is the maintenance schedule the same for the Red Sport as it is for the other Q50's?

Yes. Maintenance is exactly the same. You can download the manual on their website.

4. Any issues with the electronics? ie; buggy software, recalls, etc?
Nothing that I know of. There was a recent "check" of making sure the A/C compressor was aligned properly or it would throw the belt off but I haven't seen anything else.

Overall, I really enjoy the car. If I could get rid of the rattles from inside the cabin it would be a perfect car for me.

rmyAddison
Car: 2016 Q50 Red Sport

Interesting, I'm approaching 3000 miles and have no doors rattles or any annoying sounds, my car is RWD.

I love the car, came very close to getting a Mercedes C43 but have zero regrets, the car is tons of fun.

My two complaints remain the same, and are common among owners, a too quiet exhaust and the stock tire stink. Apparently tires vary by region (summer or all season) and RWD versus AWD. My RWD came with Dunlop high performance summer run flats, and they stink, the care easily overwhelms them, Pilot Super Sports will replace them.

The exhaust is livable but a 400 HP performance model should have more throat, Infiniti partners with Stillen and a stage two catback is supposed to come out soon, but it's been delayed a number of times already.

I had the dealer paint the chrome grill surround body color, Obsidian Black, and I like it a lot better.........

Return to “Infiniti Q50 / Q60 Forum”