Q50 hybrid system question

In 2014, the G37 Sedan became Infiniti Q50. G37 Coupe and Convertible became Infiniti Q60 under Infiniti's new naming structure - Here's the place to discuss the Q50 and Q60!
Diwils
Car: None

Hello everyone,

I am currently looking for a Infiniti Q50 hybrid and I am a bit worried by their system.

It seems that they are using the electric motor to start the engine, is that right ?

Does it mean that you have no starting motor on the engine or is there still one has a "back-up" solution ?

Thank you for your help !

RicerX
Car: '20 Titan Pro4X

Welcome to NICO!

There is definitely a starter for the gasoline motor in the event the electric motor isn't charged enough for a startup. However, in most cases, the electric motors only should start the car.

The Q50 hybrid is an absolutely fantastic car. I would recommend against a 2014 model in your search, however, but that's mostly due to issues with the infotainment system.

jp314
Car: 2014 Q50 Hybrid AWD; 92 SE-R SR20VE; 94 SE-R SR20DE+T
Previous SR20 cars: 91 SE-R; 93 SE-R; 98 Sentra SE

The Q50 hybrid only uses the hybrid electric motor to start the engine.
It does not have a starter motor like the non-hybrid engines.
The FSM for the hybrid does not have a 'STR Starting System' listed under 'Engine' like the FSM for the 3.7 models.

Also - it has a crank pulley, but no belts. Everything is electric - A/C, steering, no alternator.

I have a '14 Q50 hybrid premium awd, and don't mind the infotainment system, only takes an extra
20-30 seconds until all functions are available, not that big of a deal to me.
Mine is at 30.4 mpg overall average, calculated (not the car's display), including WI winters, and
much of my driving is city.

dgms240
Car: '90 s13 hatch ka24det

Looking at potentially buying a Q50S Hybrid. How many miles have you put on yours and what is your general impression of the car after having driven it for a while? Have you had any issues with the battery packs or the car in general? Some of the consumer reviews weren't that great.

jp314
Car: 2014 Q50 Hybrid AWD; 92 SE-R SR20VE; 94 SE-R SR20DE+T
Previous SR20 cars: 91 SE-R; 93 SE-R; 98 Sentra SE

dgms240 wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:20 pm
Looking at potentially buying a Q50S Hybrid. How many miles have you put on yours and what is your general impression of the car after having driven it for a while? Have you had any issues with the <a class="vglnk" title="Link added by VigLink" target="_blank" href="http://i.viglink.com/?key=97a6e2e747f97 ... %2Fspan%3E" rel="nofollow"><span>battery</span></a> packs or the car in general? Some of the consumer reviews weren't that great.
My '14 awd hybrid premium is at 48k miles now.
No problems so far, only recalls for SLA battery(not the hybrid battery) in the trunk,
and the passenger occupancy sensor. I bought it CPO with 22k miles.
Still haven't replaced brakes yet, however I drive in Personal mode with active trace
turned off (active trace wears out the rear brakes quicker).
I get 34+ mpg mostly city, in the summer, but it drops in the winter 25-29mpg, depending
on temperature.
Not a lot of trunk space on the hybrid.
I really like it, great daily driver, and highway cruiser.

Return to “Infiniti Q50 / Q60 Forum”