Q50 Corrosion

In 2014, the G37 Sedan became Infiniti Q50. G37 Coupe and Convertible became Infiniti Q60 under Infiniti's new naming structure - Here's the place to discuss the Q50 and Q60!
CaduTwo
Car: 2006 M45 112k
2011 G37S 36k

Hello. I'm looking at a '14 Q50 from NY and there was a surprising amount of corrosion on the exhaust. I'm from the south where this is rarely an issue. While the exhaust is relatively simple to replace, I'm not familiar with other problem areas for salt/corrosion with this particular car. Things under the hood were mostly clean, from the top view, but there was some rust visible as well. I'll try to check down the oil filler later for signs of lack of oil changes, but in the meantime could anyone please offer some advice on the likely condition of the vehicle? There's also a strange peeling from a single side mirror, both the black arm and the paint on the inside, but only on that one mirror and nowhere else on the vehicle. Tyvm for any insights.

An imgur album is at " https://imgur.com/a/E28qqMd ".

Purenv
Car: 2012 Infiniti M37x stormfront gray

looks like to me, that the vehicle has been poorly repaired as far as the mirror is concerned. it was most likely damaged at some point and then repainted or replaced with a cheap aftermarket part. The surface rust under the car is typical for any vehicle coming from the northern states where salt/brime mix is used to de-ice road surfaces. Pay special attention to sub-frame connections as well as body mount areas. if these are badly rusted walk away... That means the previous owner didn't mainain the vehical by washing it regularly to remove the salt and other debris that will cause premature rust through.

radioactive77

I cant guarantee anything but the fact that there is rust on the heads of the bolts on the strut towers and other high locations somewhat indicates possible flooding or high water from something. I have a 14' that I just purchased a few months ago form the north and its does have some decent rust underneath on exhaust and bolts but nothing on the top side was affected. Also the greenish residue I see near the hood latch plastic and by the side view mirrors also looks suspicious like maybe a form of mildew from water which could have eaten away at the paint on the mirrors. If it where me I would steer clear.

JohnInNH
Car: 2011 G37 IPL Gray 7AT

Salt spray.. 4 winters... happens. I use Krown rust proofing.. if not find a place that uses a thin runny film. Not something that holds water in, or water goes between the "oil" and metal. Oil floats on water.. soo Krown fluid (popular in Canada) does not. It displaces water.

I'm going to shoot mine at Krown after I get my Fast Intentions full downpipes (with high flow catalytic converters) and CBE... that way I have all the bare new metal parts coated BEFORE it's first winter. Wash often.. spray under the car, wheel wells, etc.
My stock exhaust has rust on it, and I only have 3000 miles on it. Cheep fasteners + steel (around exhaust) , I wish they used class 3 or 5 plated hardware, or better yet SS. For the $50 more for Stainless steel fasteners it would be well worth it.

I'd pass on this car if you are considering buying it for the reasons already stated by others.

RicerX
Car: '20 Titan Pro4X

radioactive77 wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 6:27 am
I cant guarantee anything but the fact that there is rust on the heads of the bolts on the strut towers and other high locations somewhat indicates possible flooding or high water from something. I have a 14' that I just purchased a few months ago form the north and its does have some decent rust underneath on exhaust and bolts but nothing on the top side was affected. Also the greenish residue I see near the hood latch plastic and by the side view mirrors also looks suspicious like maybe a form of mildew from water which could have eaten away at the paint on the mirrors. If it where me I would steer clear.
Came in to post pretty much exactly this. The rust showing up that high on the vehicle is a big red flag, especially with how relatively new it is.

Larz
Car: 2019 Q70-L RWD

I agree. There are people out there who grab flood damaged cars, play with paperwork, and switch titles to hide the fact that the car was a salvage vehicle. There is no good reason for rust and mildew to reach that high on any vehicle under normal wear.

Return to “Infiniti Q50 / Q60 Forum”