Q45 steering wheel radio controls on a J30

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
Bobber10
Car: 1994 Infiniti J30t

I was looking online for some radio controls for my car (mostly because looking off the road to turn up the volume or change station is quite the hazard) and all i found was tacky junk, then i saw a post on this forum about someone getting another cruise control button thing and putting it on the other side. (i wouldn't really do this because i have clock controls on my steering wheel so i wouldn't the need for doing all that) but then i did some digging and found out that the 97-01 q45 came with radio controls and was wondering how easy it might be to hook up those on the j30 because i heard they are pretty similar. If anyone has done this, it would be quite the help. Thanks.

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

I wish I had an answer to your question. In general, it seems that Nissan does a lot of customization on their wiring, and they don't include wires that aren't needed. So even if you had the same year and model of car, with different trim levels, it is usually not a plug-and-play operation to upgrade an option on a car that didn't come with it.

Infinitiguy19
Car: 1993 Infiniti Q45 188580 Miles
1994 Infiniti Q45a 240000 Miles

You would need the clock spring, steering wheel, radio controls interface module and radio to make this work. If you want factory. Aftermarket Bluetooth would be the way to go.

98_Q45

I actually think my steering wheel had radio controls. It’s to The left of the steering wheel. But mine also came with the mobile phone option, so I think it was moreso for that. After I swapped the factory radio out for a aftermarket, I noticed a volume dial that may have helped with the factory radio having a finicky volume dial (it was hilarious: I’d turn the volume down, and it would go UP UP and UP…and then down. And vice versa lol.

But yah: aftermarket is best. I have a Cadillac 99 that would have been expensive to do an aftermarket ($100+ for the harness plus additional for steering controls hookup).

The harness for Nissan and Infiniti 90s Bose is only like $50. I been using the Boss DVD/CD combo for awhile now. It’s not the nostalgic stock radio but it’s much more interactive. And double din units fit perfect.

Just be mindful that some of the removable screens don’t always fit perfectly to some trims. And some light sanding of the wood trim with a nail file can help squeeze in a couple mm of space.

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”