Q45 seat memory problem

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
dinger

This is my first post since browsing the forums for many months. (finally registered).

My seat memory suddenly working. I checked the cancel switch, and its off (out). The lights on the door for the 2 memory settings are blinking. When I go through the routine of setting the memory, the blinking stops, until I try try to use the settings.I have searched all the postings here and other places on the internet. There seems to be a few different methods that have been posted, but non seem to work. Any ideas?. Here's what I have tried.

1. open door2. turn key to run3. turn key to off4. close door5. wait 1 minute6. open door

Didn't work

Second method,

1. open door2. insert key3. press door switch once4. turn key to on/run5. remove key.

Also no workie.Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!Dinger

maxnix
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

Do a SEARCH! Many previous discussions on almost all problems (including the TSB describing this reset procedure) are on this board.

Welcome to a great community of Infiniti enthusiasts and a great knowledge base.

dinger

I did a search on everything I could think of. Thats where I got the procedures in my post above!!! I TRIED!!!What I'm asking is if anyone has any other procedure that they have seen work, OR, if maybe there is something else wrong.

Please help other than telling to do a search, which I have done.

maxnix
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

Did you check the cancel switch?

From a previous post:
Restoring Memory for Seat and Wheel

After removing my battery cables for cleaning, my seats/steering wheel does not return to the "off" position, they stay in the programmed state. (checked the "cancel" switch) Does the car have to be driven a few miles to reset? I set it in the driveway, both set 1 and 2 work, they just don't shut "off".

Believe it or not, it's actually a bug in the car common to all (or atleast many) 1994 Qs. I actually keep the reset procedure in my palmpilot so I always have it close. Whenever the car has it's batterydisconnected your seat memory will stop working. Here's the procedure:

1. Open the drivers door2. Turn the key to the Run position3. Turn the key all the way back off, but don't remove the key4. Close the door5. Wait about 1 minute6. Open the door, the memory function should work now.
A couple of times I've been too anxious and opened the door without waiting long enough, if you do, just start the procedure over.
Modified by maxnix at 2:34 PM 9/3/2004

dinger

Yep, if you notice, that is the same routine I tried in my original post, and it did not work for me. I found it by searching here and trying it out before my original post.I tried it numerous times just to make sure.

I did check the cancel switch(also noted in my original post).Thanks for the help.

maxnix
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

Might try the manual then. Don't know if there is a seat control unit, but there is a Body Control Unit. Never have seen this problem reported that couldn't be fixed. Might check seat memory switches in door for operation.
Modified by maxnix at 2:35 PM 9/3/2004

dinger

Thanks for the help!

maxnix
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

Oh, and did you disconnect the battery for a couple of hours or replace it? Might try disconnet over night if you have not before.

The quoted TSB is to reset the memory after the battery has been replaced.
Modified by maxnix at 2:35 PM 9/3/2004

Jeff Williams
Car: 1994 Q45t, 2000 I30t, 2004 M45, 71, 72, 73, 82 & 2000 Corvettes

I had to wait about 5 minutes on step 5, before mine would reset, instead of the 1, like the manual says.

1. Open the drivers door2. Turn the key to the Run position3. Turn the key all the way back off, but don't remove the key4. Close the door5. Wait about 1 minute6. Open the door, the memory function should work now.

Louis123
Car: Infiniti 2002 Q45 Sport

The above instructions also work for the 2002 Q45, but I would like to suggest the following updates to the instruction:

1. With the driver's door closed, insert the key but do not turn it.2. Open the driver's door.3. Turn the key to the "Acc ON" position.4. Turn the key all the way back off, but don't remove the key.5. Close the door.6. Wait about 1 minute.7. Open the door, the memory function should work now.

Falkdesigns
Car: 1998 Q45t ~ EXE

I searched and found this, but none of these seem to work.

Yesterday after washing my car, I was drying it out, had the doors open to get the door jambs and listen to music. Key was in on position to keep the beep off. At one point, I moved the car forward, and left it running for several minutes while I dried the trunk jambs and under the hood. I opened and closed the doors several times, backed the car up, and turned it off. The seat and steering wheel no longer move when you remove the key. I tried re-programing the memory presets, which seemes to work, the light for a number stays on for 5 seconds and goes off. Take out the key, nothing. Push number 2 (wife's setting) - nothing. What should I try next?

I've tried a few of the different procedures above, but nothing happens. After number 7, it says open the door, memory should work. What do you do after opening the door? Take key out? Switch back to on? Help! This is annoying. Should I disconnect the battery to reset the whole computer? Thanks for the help!!

911/Q45
Car: Autos, Fitness

Be absolutely sure the cancel button on the left side of the steering column is off (out).

Falkdesigns
Car: 1998 Q45t ~ EXE

Silly me. I don't remember pushing it in, and I didn't even know it was there.

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bslyth
Car: 1995 Nissan Hardbody V6

Can somebody please, in one post, describe the exact process of

1. clearing the seat memory
2. setting up memory 1
3. and setting up memory 2

?

I'm getting tired of setting my seat manually between sporty and casual driving.

q45ness
Car: 1994 Q45

Hi I had a problem with my memory seat as well. After taking everything apart and working on it for a little bit I discovered that if the steering wheel does not go all the way up in the upright position the memory seat will start working again. I have not done any modifications to the steering wheel to get it to work but I plan on putting some type of foam wedge in it to keep it from going all the way up so that the memory seat will function again. When I did the troubleshooting I just kept pressing the door pin and grabbing on to the steering wheel after all of my options were exhausted and found out that that was the quirk that fixed it. Is there any other way to keep the steering wheel from going all the way up other than putting some type of shim in the steering column? I don't want to damage it but I really like that memory seat option. Please advise.

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

Interesting... Wedging the steering column sounds like a sure method for buggering something up. There are a couple of slide switches on the steering column (think sliding volume control on an old radio) that might be causing your issue. On one (maybe both?) of my Qs they got dirty and would cause the wheel to not retract all the way up on exit. I would first try cleaning these with electrical contact cleaner. If that doesn't work, you could potentially keep the wheel from retracting all the way by removing the switch? You'd have to play around with it to see what works.

q45ness

Update....
Cleaned everything...stills no dice.
I went to Home Depot and picked up a pack of composite shims for $2, not wood shims, the plastic types.
Broke 2 down into 2 pieces about 2 inches long and with the steering column cladding removed, I shoved the two pieces into the metal part and on top of the steering column. There is only one place you can really put it without damaging anything it's pretty apparent Once you pull the cladding off.. The memory seat function now works flawlessly you can't even tell that I have kind of rigged it a little bit. But what does one expect from a car that is almost 26 years old and has almost a quarter of a million miles on it.
1994 G50 90% restored bone stock with aftermarket tranny cooler,wheels, alpine stereo system and NICO ECU progammed by elwesso
227k miles
I would submit pictures but it's kind of hard to see where they are because the plastic shims are the dark brownish black color. There are no noises no squeaks no nothing it is working as it should...for now

Thanks for the imput Heath, but I had already tried everything outside of starting to take things apart. I was getting ready to sell the vehicle because that option wasn't working..but I dont think they would have given me enough money to part with my sweet Niqole..

q45ness

Update...one of the shims slipped to the side of the other one...only one shim is needed..the wheel only has to be restricted about 1/8 inch to make the memory work again...strangest thing i ever seen....

dlduscg
Car: 1999 Infiniti Q45

The following is from Infiniti Q45 Repair Manual 97-01

INITIALIZATION
After reconnecting battery cable, perform initialization procedure A or B. If initialization has not been performed, the automatic drive positioner will not operate.
PROCEDURE A
(1) Insert key in the ignition key cylinder. (Ignition switch is in "OFF" position.)
(2) Open, close, open driver side door. (Do not perform with the door switch position.)
(3) End
PROCEDURE B
(1) Drive the vehicle at more than 30 km/h (19 MPH)
(2) End

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”