Q45 LCD Lights

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
911/Q45
Car: Autos, Fitness

I had a fun day fixing the bulbs that back light the LCD warning/trip odometer display in the lower left corner of the instrument cluster. One bulb was intermittent for a while, then quit altogether. I got the dash apart without removing the steering wheel, which was a major victory. The bulbs were still good and appear very durable(dim with thick filaments). I just cleaned up the contacts and reassembled and they work like a champ. We won't discuss having to pull it apart again to plug the clock in! Another anomaly that entertained was the speedometer pegging at 160 because I had to tap one of the dash screws with a hammer to get it to break loose. It stayed pegged until I hit 70 mph then it healed. I wasn't looking forward to yet another dash disassembly and possibly a speedo replacement, so the day ended well. The lights had been bugging me for about a year and I'm glad I tackled it.

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

You must enjoy taking the dash apart even more than me! You're saying you didn't replace the bulbs??

Heath

911/Q45

No, I did not replace the bulbs. No Infiniti dealer nearby, Nissan doesn't carry it and I was in the mood to do it right then. I figured many of you with 3 or 4 times my mileage still have working LCD bulbs, so there must be more life left in these. Masochism does run in the family.

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

Wow... didn't notice the low miles... Light bulbs are funny things. I just bought a new bulb for "Q2" that backlights the speedometer and fuel gauge that was working intermittantly. The bulbs in "Q1" (with 182K) have never been replaced. I think it's just the luck of the draw with bulb reliability.

Have you posted any pics of your brake upgrades? Did you install them yourself? I'd be very interested in that process for "Q2" - I'm going to be keeping her for a long, long, time... can't afford not to after all of the work going in to it!

Heath

911/Q45

I did install the brake kit myself, no pics though-no digital camera. I'm such a dinosaur I don't even have a cell phone! If you're interested in the brake process let me know and I'll talk you through it off line by email.

greg_atlanta
Car: 2008 G35 Journey Sedan, silver/black (no sunroof), 1992 Q45 (in a past life)

911/Q45 wrote:no pics though-no digital camera.

do you have a regular camera? if so, just get a disk or CD made with digital images when you get the film developed. most photo places offer it, even drugstores.

CD is preferable since you get higher quality images (and usally includes software to crop, modify, etc.)

Return to “General Chat”