Q45 ignition switch fading fast

Got questions about your Infiniti? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
Highway Q45
Car: Auto-X, Porsche 944's, woodworking, GreaseSlinger

I'm new to this forum and could you some help. I've had the usual sticky ignition switch syndrome common to Gen1 Q's. It has gotten worse since graphite added, dri-lube (silicon), and finally CRC contact cleaner. It seems the innermost tumbler is sticking. The factory smart key works perfect in doors and trunk but in the ignition is very hard to get all the way in, turn, and remove. The valet key without the groove works perfect and smooth as butter in the ignition. Is there a disassembly, flush, or cleaning method that can free up this binding without leaving residue. I've had the Q since May and this problem only gets worse. Any and all ideas welcome!

Thanks

Mayhem_J30
Car: Ummm...My Car

this might help youhttp://www.nissaninfiniticlub....=1746

Highway Q45

Thanks, I remember this thread well. I guess I'll have to remove the switch and try to get all the filings cleaned out with some kind of solvent, compressed air, and then apply the gentle persausion hammer technique to loosen any stuck pins. What has me wondering though is why the "valet" key is the same length and cut profile but works perfectly. I guess the ridge in the switch for the grooved key must be tweaked or something. It seems that the graphite lube really made it go bad almost immediately. I hope the plastic switch housing is compatible with most common residue-free solvents such as acetone, MEK, and napha.

Thanks

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

I may get flamed for this, but I had a locksmith tell me that WD-40 was a good cure for sticky wafer locks. Try this at your own risk - when I had the problem my 100K warranty was still in force.

Heath

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

Well,

I had a solution, though it's not the kind everyone likes to do..:

I went to the dealer and had for almost $1000 a complete new lockset installed.My ignition problem was real bad tho...

But I went from one beaten up master key.To 2 brandnew master keys, two valet keys, and one wallet key (no typo).(I really like brandnew car keys..)

Fred...:)

Jberger

I used gun solvent and rem-oil to fix my lock, it's been working fine for a few weeks now, so I think it did the trick.

I used a regular solvent, then cleaner, and a blast of Rem-oil the next morning. I'm not a big fan of WD-40, works great to remove rusted bolts, but seems to leave behind a sticky film that attracks dust and grime.

911/Q45
Car: Autos, Fitness

Fred-did they give you the key case and little red bag too?

Highway Q45

The hammer method is looking better...$1000 for an ignition switch is a little out of my league...are they handcarved in Buddhist temples? I do have the original red velvet case and the 16oz Infiniti key fob that probably caused all the key problems in the first place. Miatas are very prone to switch damage caused by excess weight on the keychain. The Hoppes gun solvent sounds promising but I'm leary about using any type of oil, no matter how light it is. I've had locks in my woodshop lubed with WD-40 suck up fine sawdust like a Hoover. I think the suggested Teflon type lube would be a better long term alternative, especially in colder weather when the oil starts to set up. First things first and free up the pins and see where it goes from there. Since this problem seems to be fairly common...has anyone else tried their valet key to see if they work? Still seems weird that one key would work so well and the other one barely even goes in. The only alternative if I can't free it up is using two keys like I have now or go looking for that temple.

Again thanks for all the help

PalmerWMD

911/Q45 wrote:Fred-did they give you the key case and little red bag too?

What i'm suppsoed to get a little red bag too?:confused:I'd love to have a little red bag!

I got gyped! :mad:

Fred...:oface

greg_atlanta
Car: 2008 G35 Journey Sedan, silver/black (no sunroof), 1992 Q45 (in a past life)

Highway Q45 wrote:...are they handcarved in Buddhist temples?

Just a quick Shinto ceremony, actually.

:icesangel

I've been using a teflon/graphite spray I got at Ace Hardware, and has worked like a charm for 3 years. Also does a good job cleaning and lubricating the antenna.

Do you have more than one key? I try to rotate keys now and then. I'm sure that would help.

DenverQ
Car: Tryin to make a living, Driving/Fixing my Q and my Beautiful Baby girl =)

All i have is 2 big keys what other keys should I have? how do i get a valet key and or wallet key.

Where does one get a little red bag? I too would like this

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

I'm sure they're available from Infinti of Scottsdale... Think they cost about $350 for the complete set. It's fairly easy to replace the ignition switch and trunk lock. I just replaced the complete set on "Q2"with a new set I bought on eBay a few months back. Side locks are a bit more fun. I think you can also buy just the ignition switch for about $175.

Have you tried having a duplicate key made? When mine went bad it was wearing the key down at the tip - replacing the key helped for about 5000 miles. Maybe a new key and good lubrication would work longer...

The dealer mentioned extra weight as causing wear. My keyring looked like a janitor's at that time. Switched over to two key rings - one with just the alarm remote and Q key - and another one with the others. The replacement set has worked flawlessly for 82K.

Heath

911/Q45

When the our Q was delivered in 1989, they made a big deal about the key "presentation". You got 2 big keys and 2 valet keys in a black oval jewel case with the Infiniti symbol embossed and a red Chivas Regal style string bag to keep it in. The wallet key was separate along with the key # tag to get a new key made without having an existing one. I still have all this stuff.

Highway Q45

Fred,I hope you're sitting down...not only the do you "need" the Red Velvet Bag, the bag holds a shiny Infiniti logo shaped case with nifty foamed detents for the whole family of keys. When I bought my 91 last April I was even more impressed with the original Infinti ball-point pin neatly stored in the Owners Manual. There should be 2 master keys, 2 valet keys(one with plastic top), I'm not sure about the wallet key. I should have plenty of room in my wallet for the key after all my money is gone from maintaining the Q!

Greg..I'll look for the Teflon/graphite lube, sounds like a good product. I also think I'll try getting a new master key(I only have 1). I assume that they are dealer cut based upon Vin # rather than copying the worn original. Thanks for the input everyone...one more thing to do this weekend. Add that to hooking up the 4- new Kenwood 6"x9"s tommorrow, I've been musicless for 3 weeks now, being Bose-less will be a joy!

Steve

911/Q45

I don't think they'll cut you a key based on VIN#. It would be a handy way to pick up some primo parts cars though, just spot the # through the windshield, call it in, and drive away! They want a special key # that came on an aluminum tag with the car at delivery. There is also a bar code on the tag.

PalmerWMD

In my expereince they will cut those keys based on VIN.

I dont remember(been a few years) if they made me bring in the title or not.But then they knew me anyway..

Fred..:)

Highway Q45

The local Infiniti dealer will cut a new master from Vin# and Calif. reg,...all for a mere $150. Infiniti said they usually don't do the keys themselves because the customer has to pay for it even if it doesn't work; often the problem is still in the switch...can't blame them really. Their parts department steered me towards the only local locksmith that will cut the clean pattern of a good grooveless valet key onto a grooved master blank...for $31.50. The locksmith says he does them all the time here in the Sacramento area for all the brands of specialty and smart keys. I'll give it a try.

Steve

maxnix
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

McLock Locksmith(864) 934-3411 or (864) 231-9671E-mail: [email protected]

Members had great experience with him cutting new keys and also providing masters.

rahiel aziz
Car: cars

i have the same problem since last week.key do not want go in and come out.i read the old thread about keylock it did help about the little red pin above release button was causing the coming out problem.but going in and turning the the was mostly solved by new key and lot of graphite lube .I think the main cause is key wears out after 12 yrs of use and damage the lock.new key cost me $27.00 at local locksmith but he recommended to change the whole switch.Now we come to cost of new switch at scotsdale and lesle $227.60.Local infinti dealer wants $450.00installed.I think in near future i have to do it.So i have request for Heath can u give us step by step intstructions how to remove old switch and put the new one in.Because it is very common problems old Q and it will be great help.So we can all save some money.

thank ubobby

Q451990

The new switch is pretty simple... It just plugs in (follow the wires down the steering column. The switch is held on by a "u" bracket that goes around the steering column. The bolts are "sheer" bolts, meaning that the heads break off when you torque them down. This is an antitheft measure. You'll have to drill them out, then just bolt the new switch on...

Heath

mortimer9
Car: hunting

Heath contemplating ignition lock removal.Does the lock come with keys?I expect I would have different key for door and trunk and ignition.Have you any other info on source and replacement.? kevin

Q45tech
Car: 1990 Q45 342,400 miles 22 years ownership with original engine
1995 G20t 5 speed 334,000 miles 16" 2002 wheels - 205/50/16 Sr20ve vvl

Had one of techs [moonlight] and he charged me $100 [about 3 hours of intensive work] to replace all the [5 locks] net about $450 back in fall of 2000 [about 205,000 miles].

Nice to know I still have another 150,000 miles left on the new keys.

You gotta budget your $250-300 a month carefully but when nothing goes wrong for 90-120 days you can splurge.

Just realized its been almost 8 months and 12,000 miles since I've done anything but tires and brakes......oh forgot rear shocks [changed in December 2002 after 55k] and right kingpin and alignment and new rear rotors/pads............out of pocket $850...........gosh the Q is getting cheap to maintain...............surely something expensive will break in the next 4 months.

911/Q45

It's going to hear you!!!!!!!!!!!

Return to “Infiniti Online Mechanic”