Q45 Brake Swap (S14)

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
red24d
Car: 1990 240sx Hatch
Daily: 2006 Nissan Titan

Okay, so you've been reading here and there that these brakes are a good alternative to stock and cheap compared to Z32 brakes. Since I have seen plenty of ideas and some photos around the web and never really any step by step procedure, I figured even the typical n00b would appreciate a somewhat step by step posting. So, what I have here are a few pics of what needs to be done to get these bad boys to sit in there just right. My platform is a '96 SE model, so I am not including any five lug swap or re-drilling in these steps.

1. First, remove your wheel(s) from the front.
2. Using a 12mm Socket or wrench, remove the bolt with the brake line from the back of the caliper, draining it into a drain pan of some sort.
3. Using a 14mm (I believe it is anyway) remove the caliper bolts from the stock calipers.
4. Using a 18mm (might be 19mm) remove the caliper brackets.
5. Remove the stock rotor.
6. Now, depending on the method you prefer, remove the dust shield (I chose using a air cutting wheel, then used a grinder to smooth out lose ends. If you decide to take the route I did, use a hammer (or rubber mallet like I did) and beat the shield back a bit so as to ensure the dust shield doesn't rub the back of your new thicker rotors.
7. Okay, I will show the picture of this when photobucket stops being stupid, but the bolt for the q45 bracket is a bit longer then the 240sx bolt. And if you are doing this swap you will see that the bracket for the stock caliper is deeper at the bolting point than the Q45 bracket (sorry, no photo of that). I think it's odd how that works out, but my solution was to use the stock 240sx bracket bolts. Using the washers from both bolts, thread it down. Works perfectly.
8. Install your brake pad retaining clips (I think that's what they are called) at the top and bottom and then slide your pads in.
9. Next push the caliper piston down (if it is a used caliper not ready for install) using a "C" clamp and an old brake pad or small piece of wood.
10. Now, slide the caliper on and then put the bolts through and tighten them down using a 17mm (pretty sure on this one).
11. Bleed your brakes, starting from the caliper furthest from the brake master cylinder working your way to the closest one, in this case, starting rear passenger, then doing the rear driver, then the passenger front, then the driver front.
12. Put your wheels back on.
13. Brag to all your friends that you are now mechanically inclined.

Size Matters:
Q45 calipers are still in the bracket here:
Removing the old bracket:
Cutting the dust shield, ALWAYS wear eye protection. I was also getting flakes thrown in my face so I improvised using my shirt and later a wet rag. You can also see that I needed to remove a good portion of the dust shield where the bracket bolts up.
The Mounting Bolts as described above:
Finished product:
Last edited by red24d on Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

indomiekid1
Car: S14.

cool, good pics and stuff man.
did you change your lines too?

red24d

No, I maintained my current lines for now. The part that sucks for me is that when I went to bleed the brakes, I couldn't get any real pressure to build up. I think and it's even been suggested to me, that the seals in the master cylinder went out when I started to pump the pedal. Anyone else have any ideas? That's the only thing I could imagine being the problem. I feel it in the lines when the brakes are being pumped, but I am also hearing a air sound at the master cylinder, but no leaks anywhere.

indomiekid1
Car: S14.

um it could be.i think the master cylinder rebuild isnt that much. you should source those parts and some lines and do it again.
good luck yo.

red24d

Yeah, I'm thinking of just going with a new Master cylinder, should be quick and easy that way and hopefully all will be right and my new brakes can get a first test drive.

red24d

Updated with the pictures I promised of the bracket bolts.

PoorversionofBatman
Car: 1998 Infiniti Q45

So, the stock S14 caliper bracket is compatible with the Q45 caliper ? I have S14 ABS Front Knuckles for my 98 Q45 but havent installed it because i don't have any caliper brackets to check fitment .

PoorversionofBatman
Car: 1998 Infiniti Q45

So to clarify, please explain about the S14 caliper bracket and the Q45 caliper . My hopes are my 98 Q45 calipers work with the S14 knuckle/bracket .

NukeKS14
Car: 1995 240SX SE - KA24DE-T
AC Cobra Mk IV Rep.
2020 Civic Si

Dude, this thread is 10 years old, doubting OP has been on recently.
7. Okay, I will show the picture of this when photobucket stops being stupid, but the bolt for the q45 bracket is a bit longer then the 240sx bolt. And if you are doing this swap you will see that the bracket for the stock caliper is deeper at the bolting point than the Q45 bracket (sorry, no photo of that). I think it's odd how that works out, but my solution was to use the stock 240sx bracket bolts. Using the washers from both bolts, thread it down. Works perfectly.
He is using the Q45 bracket AND caliper with the S14 bolts and double-stacking the washers. The brackets are NOT the same, just look at the thickness of the rotor in those pictures. Nissan used a lot of common geometry for mounting the caliper brackets throughout a plethora of cars but, the caliper, rotor, and bracket are a set. The bracket is what aligns the caliper and pads properly on the rotor.

The only way you're going to get away with using an S14 caliper bracket is with an S14 front rotor and S14 caliper.

Just a quick guess but there are lots of Z32 options out there. Have you considered going to a Z32 front rotor/caliper/bracket? Those brackets will align to the S14 front knuckle and if your wheels have the clearance, would be an upgrade over the Q45 option. Also look into the J30 stuff. I'm not 100% sure on the sizing but if the rotors are the same between Q45 and J30, the front caliper/bracket should be as well. I know the J30 fronts work because I installed them on one of my earlier S13s. You'll have to do a bit of research but it's a start.

Knownworldwide
Car: 1991 Nissan 240SX

Go with Z32 stuff if you can get it for a good price

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”