Q45 Brake line failure

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
DrewQ45

90Q (188K) -- Yesterday one of my brake lines on the front driver's side failed. I noticed that the brake light was coming on (fluid depletion) and decided to stomp on the brake while sitting at a red light....and not just any light...it was the entrance to the freeway....I felt a slight "pop" and and the brake sank to the floor. Good thing I tested it huh? One of the lines on the front drivers side and ruptured and brake fluid was all over the inside of the wheel....After cussing with AAA for a few hours, I finally got it flat-bedded back to the crib so now I'm trying to decide on what to replace them with.

So... OEM versus Steel Braided or have them remanned?

I performed a few searches and came up with quite a few posts, however, I still want to solicit for up-to-date opinions. I read a few posts that advised against steel braided due to dirt infiltrations that can damage the connections. I also saw that you can take in your old hoses and have new hoses fabricated using the old connectors. I'm sure there is loads of info on what/where to buy along with best prices etc....

I look forward to reading your posts.
Modified by DrewQ45 at 1:32 PM 4/5/2005

911/Q45
Car: Autos, Fitness

I got steel lines before I knew better. 15 years out of the OEM on your car is a pretty good testimonial.

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

DrewQ45 wrote:
I performed a few searches and came up with quite a few posts, however, I still want to solicit for up-to-date opinions. I read a few posts that advised against steel braided due to dirt infiltrations that can damage the connections. I also saw that you can take in your old hoses and have new hoses fabricated using the old connectors. I'm sure there is loads of info on what/where to buy along with best prices etc....

I look forward to reading your posts.

Modified by DrewQ45 at 1:32 PM 4/5/2005
Drew, SPL parts (a NICO sponsor) sells the braided lines with a teflon or some sort of coating that prevents dirt from getting in there..... You definitely want to cover those lines!!!

Get the SS lines and make sure they have a coating over them... Ones for the 300ZX will work... DOnt get the crappy ebay ones, the ones our sponsors carry are going to be good quality...

Should set oyu back about $100

DrewQ45

"I got steel lines before I knew better. 15 years out of the OEM on your car is a pretty good testimonial."

911/Q45.... Are you saying you had trouble with your steel lines? Please expound on your comment.

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

It's awesome that your failure happened while you were sitting still. Good thing that you found it then instead of in an emergency situation!

I'm using SS lines from Technafit on Q2. http://www.technafit.com

They have a plastic coating over the braided cover, so that should eliminate the dirt issues. One of the collars near the fitting cracked and they replaced it at no charge... and this was well over a year after I bought them. They're very easy to deal with and customer friendly. I would highly recommend them.

If I can anticipate someone's next question... I didn't drive Q2 much at all before I did the major suspension and brake overhaul, so I didn't really get a good comparison of the differences between these and OEM. The brake feel between Q1 and Q2 has always been very different for some reason.

Heath

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

DrewQ45 wrote:"I got steel lines before I knew better. 15 years out of the OEM on your car is a pretty good testimonial."

911/Q45.... Are you saying you had trouble with your steel lines? Please expound on your comment.
I think it means that he got steel lines as soon as he could... and 15 years out of OEM brake lines are VERY good.....

911/Q45
Car: Autos, Fitness

I haven't had any trouble with my steel lines, but knowing what I do now, wouldn't have bothered with them. I think the stock lines are fine.

Q45denver
Car: 1995 Q45t 1990 Q45 1998 Nissan Frontier

Drew:

If interested, I have a new set of Goodridge's for your application that I could sell you for about 1/2 price.

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Q45denver wrote:Drew:

If interested, I have a new set of Goodridge's for your application that I could sell you for about 1/2 price.
IF drew doesnt take you up on this i might!

texasoil
Car: '92 Infiniti Q45A
'94 Infiniti Q45A
'94 Mercedes-Benz SL600

Unless you are on a race course (in which case the entire brake system needs a serious upgrade) stick with the OEM flex lines. The ABS systemis calibrated with that 'line expansion' inthe system. Change to a stiffer line and you likely will not stop as fast under 'panic' conditions with wheel lock-up.

DrewQ45

Q45Denver... please email me with the details, how much etc. I'm interested.

Drew

DrewQ45

Believe it or not, my Q has sat in the garage ever since the mishap.

I tried to get some steel braided lines from a member but he was unable to locate them and I've been dragging my feet ever since... thats what happens when you have options... LOL.. I've been driving my gas guzzlin Dodge Dakota V8 (what a monster) around till I got around to it.

Well.... after an intensive web search, I located a set of Russell Brake Lines for $89 + Ship which is the best price I could find out there (most are $95 - 115). That's considerably cheaper than the dealer rubber hoses! (not knocking the dealer product, they lasted 15 years!) It's shipping from Miami tomorrow. Just about all the other sites didn't have the product and stated that it would take two weeks to get it in (Q45 stuff doesn't sell too fast)!

Just thought I would share the site since they seem to be the cheapest around (when you can get through). I know there must be others with aging brakelines thinking about this. If you call them and don't get through...call again as they are slow to return messages.

Here is the direct link to the hoses...

http://www.competitionwarehous...d=563

...Drew...

Modified by DrewQ45 at 4:51 PM 4/25/2005
Modified by DrewQ45 at 4:52 PM 4/25/2005

JT_MONEY_2004
Car: 1990 Q45, Pearl

DREW i noticed your car in members rides and gotta tell ya dude, Very Nice. How is it mechanically, 188K is a grip for the average Q. Your car contradicts the thought that chrome fender trim cant look good. You ever come to Macon? I panning a trip to T3 in a month or so, maybe i'll link up with ya to see it in person, just a thought...

DrewQ45

JT... thanks Man... and congrats on popping the question... please send me a slice of wedding cake when you do the do I'll be in Jamaica for two weeks when you do arrive here, but I'm sure we can meet up some other time?

The Q has been the most reliable car I've owned to date... and this is coming from a person who has owned mostly Toyotas. It drives as good as it looks... not to say it doesn't have the little nagging things here and there (like the sunroof not working anymore) but the drivetrain and paint are all original and working great. I had the guides done at T3 years ago and that was the most I've ever expended on it. The chrome trim was actually on the car when I brought it back in 98' and I just kept it on there since small holes were drilled into the fender lips to secure them. (didn't feel like having body work done if I removed them)... they have actually grown on me like a fungus now... LOL. Anyway, don't get me started on raving about the Q...

Oh, I must mention this...and I think I speak for many Q owners... the very best part of owing these fine automobiles is... The song she sings when I give her WOT!!!

...Drew....

Modified by DrewQ45 at 10:53 AM 4/26/2005

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”