Q('s) on draining ATF from my '95 hardbody, bulb-syphoning from the dipstick-hole isn't working...

Forum for the Xterra, Frontier and Hardbody, the smaller workhorses of the Nissan lineup!
I.Heart.My.'95.D.21
Car: 1995 D 21 Hardbody 4 cylinder automatic

I got a 95 hardbody 4cyl automatic for work about 1mo ago, am in love with it except that, usually just when cold, it is terrible in first gear *if* I'm in 'D' (if I shift to 1 or 2 I can get to ~10mph and switch to D and be fine, though I usually just go really slowly in D through my neighborhood for 2 blocks til it's catching, from thereon it's usually fine)

I've heard more people, including a mechanic friend, tell me they fear this could be a 'draining/flushing ATF kills the trannie' situation...it's strong when in 1 or 2, and solid once it's warm and going, but it's miserable getting it out of the driveway and I don't want to risk destroying the trannie but want to do what I can to help it along (this is my first set of wheels in a good while..), to that end I want to do the 'happy medium' recommendation of removing some (~.5-->2qt, ideally I'd do it incrementally) of the current ATF and replacing with this no-slip product (my mechanic friend was recommending 1.5-->2qt of swap)

I'm unable to get the siphon-bulb to pull despite it reaching at least ~2" into the reservoir (has ATF on it when coming out / clearly was in liquid) so am thinking to just drain some from the pan instead (looks like a solid drain-plug is there so shouldn't have to mess with the 'partial-undoing' of the pan itself), like just loosen the bolt enough that I'm getting a good drip and drain ~1-2qt, then refill with the anti-slip - any & everything that I could be missing or messing-up on here, I'd be incredibly appreciative if anybody could help clarify it for me!!

PS/also- Is the dipstick the only / best way to measure the ATF level? Since I got this truck, the ATF dipstick (which is the simple type, just 'Hot' and 'Cold' sides at the end of a long cable/stick) has ALWAYS shown too-much fluid, I mean *past* the max line even when cold, yet none of the people (including 2 mechanics..) seemed to think it's a big deal and talk about 'venting', but at 1mo it's still past that line and that's with a slow ATF leak! The bottom of the pan doesn't 'drip' but it's always slick and some mornings there'll be a drop of ATF under the truck, the dipstick says it's over-full though so if there's any other way of testing I'd love to know! I've tested in every conceivable combo (on/off, hot/cold, with the trannie in every position, no matter what it's always over-full, I feel like *at least* remedying that by doing the partial-swap is a smart move in and of itself!!

Thanks a ton for any elucidation on this, oh also I figured it makes sense to get extra ATF just in case too-much came out by mistake (will be careful but just wanna be redundant!), what type would be reco'd between generic "synthetic high-mileage ATF all vehicle" stuff, Valvoline's synthetic ATF for imports, or should I get dextron 3? Have heard various reports online and hate the idea of putting the wrong stuff in there but can't nail down what I need..)

whomadewho
Car: 1997 Nissan pickup

Personally and just my opinion I would purchase a transmission filter kit. Not a big job. When replacing the pan don’t use any silicone sealer on the gasket. If it’s a cork gasket simply put it in place and install. The type that looks like paper I usually before installing them run hot water over the gasket it softens them up allowing for a better seal and stays in place better. You can also use like a gasket sealer on the corners to hold it in place. DO NOT over tighten the bolts. Keep in mind when refilling the transmission your not draining the torque converter. There is a spec for the amount to refill with or without draining the converter.

whomadewho

When filling the transmission I usually put 3-4 quarts in start that engine run it for a few minutes check fluid level keep adding until full. You might want to change the lube in the rear end. If it’s a dropout there should be a drain plug. Refill with a fully synthetic gear lube. Makes a world of difference. Easier on the transmission.

whomadewho

Also to ensure an accurate reading before checking the fluid shift the transmission through the gears and make sure the vehicle is on a level surface.

Return to “Nissan Trucks Forum”