Putting smaller tires on front of QX70

A forum for lovers of Infiniti's hot-rod crossover, the FX! In 2014, all FX models will be named Infiniti QX70, in line with Infiniti's new naming structure.
gwing57
Car: FX45 - hesitation after changing air induction

I bought some after market wheels for my 2016 QX70. The already had almost new 245-45r-20s on all four wheels. I figured I would change the back tires to the standard 265-50r-20s to keep the speedometer accurate as well as filling up the wheel-well. So, I think I notice the handling is better with the 245s on the front. . .It just feels more light and nimble. (I would have sent a picture but I couldn't figure out how to do that.)

EdBwoy

Hello and welcome.

I bet the vehicle handles a little differently due to the narrower front. I bet the front is slightly dipped too (might be a little noticeable to the naked eye)... and newer tires, if they are newer.

I use this website to visualize and evaluate my wheel/ tire changes.
https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/?wheel1 ... 0mm&sr=0mm

Is your vehicle AWD? If so, I am concerned the system might not like the discrepancy long term. When AWD owners go for staggered setups, the rears might be wide, but the overall diameters have to match the fronts.

Then, for all the systems that use the wheel speed sensors (ABS, VDC et al), I can't recall which wheel readings take precedence. Your rolling diameters are far enough off that some warning light might pop up.
Maybe the warning light issue only comes into play with a side-to-side discrepancy where the steering angle sensor is off. However, I'd get the correct tires on there.

Picture instructions in my signature below

Return to “Infiniti FX35 / FX45 / FX37 / FX50 / QX70 Forum”