putting mercedes 240d diesel in 87 reg cab !z parts!

Forum for the Xterra, Frontier and Hardbody, the smaller workhorses of the Nissan lineup!
gundamx_105
Car: silvia

I 'll post my progress here in the next few weeks. I think I may make a car domain page for it too. I have the engine, trans, radiator, condenser, etc. out of the truck. I need to take off the driveshaft and fuel lines and take out the tank. clean the tank, and take out the fuel filter, and replace all rubber hose.(b100) and re-install.

I took all the acc. off the mercedes engine; ac, pwrsteerig, altinator, and degreased it. (has 130k on it)

We put the engines(w/trans) side by side. they are the same height. the mercedes 4cyc diesel engine is slightly longer and the trans alot shorter than the nissan z. We put the mercedes diesel engine and trans into the truck yesterday and it fits good. If it wasn't for the oil filter and the exhaust manifold the engine would be a perfect fit!. but the oil filter on this diesel is large and looks like a pool filter. This thing is on the block and doesnt look like it could be relocated. If it could be, it would only give an inch or so, because of the exhaust manifold which may have to be replaced with fabed ones. so i guess it would be easier to put it further forward and probly have to have an electric cooling fan.

It needs a longer driveshaft, so I'll get a one piece made up. It needs an exhaust, the exhaust manifold is on the oposite side of the engine! and its a diesel so it needs bigger pipe i guess. It needs new fuel line. It needs a cut-off switch and a switch for the glowplugs. the altenator bracket off the mecedes will have to be cut slightly so that the nissan one will fit. also a piece of metal will be added to the alt. to make it fit. the mercedes mounts will be used and mounted to the frame at the original points, but those will have to be heated and banged upward until they are horizontal and not angled, and maybe have to weld too. the mecedes trans mount may land close to the original crossmember, but may have to weld a new one on. I will use the mercedes radiator,this will be easily fabed in.(has a coolant line heater). the shifter will have to be totally fabed, I don't know if I could have used some of the nissan linkage or not. I thought i had all of it out before i pulled out engine/trans!so its all bent up. also the accelerator will be hard and the last thing i do on this. I may make a skid plate.

truck engine ran with full throttle but smoked(probly a rod going), the truck body has alot of rust, the driver door will be replaced, the rest will be grinded and primered. the cab is very clean! noone smoked in this truck. it has very decent tires and american racing rims. It has original bed liner! and a place where a hitch goes and the wiring for trailer lights. I'll have pics soon. and also a full how-to maybe. If anyone needs z parts there are a few i havn't thrown away yet.

Big-Bird
Car: 2000 Xterra on 'Roids & 2004 Quest SL

BUMP!

Return to “Nissan Trucks Forum”