putting a S13 blacktop in my 95 S14

For the RWD SR20DET cars! Sponsored by Wiring Specialties.
mowedS14
Car: 95 240SX 91 Honda CRX

Sup fellas im Scott a new guy, thought id use this place as a sort of journal for my 240. Never been on this fourm before so figured id introduce my self and post some info if anyone is interested.I should be posting some questions as this progresses.Bought the car for pretty cheap, it had been sitting in an outdoor garage for over a year. 100k on the body, car was an automatic. I was able to pull out of a junk yard everything I needed to do a 5 speed conversion (clutch pedals, slave cylinder, and factory metal lines.) accept for the driveshaft which will come later. The people had pulled the head off and messed everything up like idiots. Just bought a SR20det blacktop from a respectable shop here in SC. Heres what ive got so far. The easy part.

Here she is - If anyone wants to comment on how the engine looks that would be cool. Done swaps in my dads 90 honda civic and my 91 crx, but never in a 240. But I know what a clean JDM engine should look and act like. This SR20 looks really cean as hell and I am proud to be the new owner of it.(sorry for the crappy cell phone pics. next time ill have a real camera)

Pulled out the messed up KA

Now its ready to have a nice clean SR20 put inside.

Money is an issue in this project so im waiting on clutch, exhaust, and a FMIC setup. Maybe about two more weeks untill I get everything ready to rock and roll.

Modified by mowedS14 at 9:54 PM 10/8/2007
Modified by mowedS14 at 9:14 AM 10/31/2007

gnvarnadore
Car: 89 240sx Base Coupe(daily/project) 91 240sx SE Coupe(sold) 92 240sx SE Coupe(sold) 89 240sx Base Hatch(sold) 93 240sx SE Hatch(SOLD!!!)

cool deal scott. id love to check it out in person if thats cool and maybe give you a hand with it if i can and then maybe you could help me convert my auto to a manual. the name is Gregg and heres my cell # 315-5058. im over off of leesburg rd. what part of columbia do you live in?

schap247

im getting ready to do the same swap..i was wondering if u have dome ur harness yet

mowedS14

schap247 wrote:im getting ready to do the same swap..i was wondering if u have dome ur harness yet
I am paying a very trustworthy shop around here with lots of well done swaps done that ive personally seen to do my wiring for me, I know I could buy a new harness and do it myself easily but this is the first ive ever done a swap in a Nissan. With paying them to do this for me I get some quaranted trouble shooting if the car dosent start or there is an immediate problem. Once the clutch comes in everything will go together for a dry run. Like, exhaust manifold, FMIC, and catback to make sure it fits. Then put everything back together for real and tow the car up to the shop.

Basically this is where im at, Ive got the motor out as stated before

This is my motor (better pic)

Here is my 3 inch downpipe and coilovers.Has anyone ever heard of Tein NR coilovers before because I can't find much about them. They are a little beat up, but they fit and will work.

Here is everything else thats been comming in lately3 inch cat back, exhaust manifold, FMIC, boost gauge, and of course the much needed metal gaskets! All I am waiting for is my clutch which should be in this week.

Woah buddy, what is that doing there? This car was an automatic in its previous life, but not anymore.

The previous owner had a MOMO automatic shift knob, touching I know.

chitown240SX
Car: 1997 NISSAN 240SX

looks clean did you send the lower harness to be rewired since the car was automatic? reason I ask is because I am also doing an S13 redtop swap into my 97 S14 with 5 speed swap and I dont know if I need to rewire the lower harness.

chitown240SX
Car: 1997 NISSAN 240SX

how hard was it to do the 5 speed swap? any pics or tips

mowedS14

I don't know exctally what youve gotta do with the auto harness, like I said, I am paying a shop to do my harness for me.

I don't really have any pics of the 5 speed swap, but theres an FAQ stickyed to the top of the forum and it is exctally what you have to do. But, the hardest part is fighting the old pedals down, its a b*** for real. But cutting the holes for the new clutch cylinder wasnt bad at all. Also, I picked up the pedals and metal lines for the clutch cylinder at a junk yard. I did buy a new cylinder though, not wanting to trust a junk yard one. So I was able to figure out what I needed to do when taking the pedals out of the car in the junk yard.

mowedS14

This is what I did yesterday on my day off. Between school and work im on a limited time schedule so the process takes a little longer than normal, lol This Friday night the motor is going in and everything mechanical I will be hooking up. Then towing it up to NSP in spartanburg and David is going to do the wiring for me sometime next week.

The area im working isnt all that big so the pics are sorta cramped.I installed a new manifold and elbow. But the key factor was I replaced all of the factory jmd gaskets on the t25. I could tell that the guy before me had blown his turbo inlet gasket. So instead of graphite gaskets I went with metal inlet and outlet gaskets. If you look at the bolts you will also see where on a couple of bolts I sawed the heads off to make it a stud and double nutted it with lock washers.

This weekend I put in my new clutch and resurfaced stock flywheel back in the trans and bolted it back to the motor.

Hijacker
Car: '92 240sx Convertible
'94 F-150

Looking good so far. Tell us how you like the Exedy clutch once you get everything running. I have a stage 1 in mine, and it holds well and still retains great drivability

The teins look modified for the front. That looks like a stock spring perch being used . If so, it's going to be hard to lower the car more than 1.5 inches (not that you need to lower it more than that).

jt15833
Car: 95' 240SX

http://www.skylineking.com/fsm...4.pdf

Best resource I used when putting my CA18 into s14.

It looks like theres a dust shield on the back of the tranny, when I did my swap that rubbed against driveshaft and sparked up into car. Make sure to check that theres clearance after you install everything. I removed mine completely. Good luck.

ILikeMy240sx
Car: SR Power

pop open your valve cover and peek inside.

I have seen many SRs that looked super clean from the outside but as soon as the valve cover opened up... It was ugly.. rust was all over and was not usuable.

So, pop your valve cover, take the lower and upper oil pan off and make sure that everything inside is rust free.

Now would not be a bad time to change the HG, change out ALL gaskets (including rear main seal) and change your oil pump (comes with new front main seal).

Trust me on this as I've learned the hard way.

mowedS14

Thanks alot guys for the advise and help! I love this damn forum.

Todays thing to do - intercooler install

Basically my intercooler is to big and I cant send it back. So I had to do some modifications and make my own lower brackets. I bent these to fit right and the stupid thing holds rock solid.

I also had a clerance problem because the IC was to tall so I said screw it and grinded off the top to help things clear even better.

You can also see where I took off the bumper guard and fabbed up a new metal one. So now if I hit anyone, haha their car will be gone.

duffman1278
Car: 89 240sx Hatch, the wildcats!

Looks really good. Love the manifold too.

mowedS14

Well guys im really tired and on my break right now but I figured id let everyone know that there is now a SR in my 240. Im quite exhausted from working doubles and class, so for now....that is all.

icudruln
Car: Nissan 240SX

Wow...this was something really helpful. Props for the swap. It looks really really good.

I'm getting a 93 240 coupe within the next two weeks, and I am dying to do the same swap. I've been worried about it being automatic, as I've heard its a total b**** to swap to the 5 speed. You gave me hope.

heartofaskyline
Car: 1992 hatch, 1993 sr20 coupe

auto to manuel is alot easier than you think. really not that difficult

icudruln
Car: Nissan 240SX

heartofaskyline wrote:auto to manuel is alot easier than you think. really not that difficult
Good to hear.

I hope to be a frequent member around here and help with all I can. A lot of you guys seem to know your stuff from what I've seen in searching this place.

I've dreamed of owning a 240 for a long time, and now its finally coming. I'm proud to be an owner of this nice ride, and am looking forward to every single second of this car.

mowedS14

There is also now a used Kazza 2-way LSD in my S14. Totally not as bad as I thought it was going to be. Def takes two people to do with a good jack though.

single_cam_ham
Car: 2004 RSX typeS/1996 S14

good progress! lmk if you need a hand, i live in aiken, about 35 minutes away!

Later, Adam

jt15833
Car: 95' 240SX

i was home alone and decided to put my diff in and it sucked. do able tho.

MastaYu
Car: 92 240SX HB SE

That is awesome. im looking to do a swap before the summer.

mowedS14

Well fellas shes almost finished. Working on the car this weekend and on Monday towing it up to spartanburg to have the wiring done.

Had the radiator redone and the set of twin 12 inch fans I ordered came in.

Relocated the battery

I didnt want to run the 2 gauge wire in the open so I shoved it through some tubing and mounted it along the factory wiring harness.

Walbro 255 fuel pump

Heres the kicker boys - custom made one piece steel driveshaft weighing in at a wopping 14lbs.

More to come this weekend
Modified by mowedS14 at 9:49 AM 12/3/2007

duffman1278
Car: 89 240sx Hatch, the wildcats!

schanne
Car: 93 Hatch-Sr20

Wow! Nice job so far, keep it up!!

mowedS14

Thanks alot for the comments guys, ive really put my heart and soul into this car and finally, everything I can possibly do is done.

Since I bought the shell the car has been on jack stands, finally she is able to walk on her own. Here are some real pics of the car. It looks REALLY stock. Gonna be a sleeper untill I get some wheels.

homeslicej2
Car: 1990 S13 SR'd hatch

nice will sit back, eat , and enjoy the show.

marcrubi89sx
Car: 89 hatch sr20det-sold-92 vert ka24de-traded--97 GF8 impreza-sold-90 z32 2+2 60K VG30de. Traded -93 civic. B16a2 Bought 91 miata 1.6Turbo. sold miata. Bought 89 240sx. Sold civic. DD my 240 all day

very nice.. like that custom support.

turbo-sil40
Car: 00' Land Rover Discovery, 1990 nissan silvia conversion coupe with CA turbo swap

hey scotty the ride is sweet we need to get together and take some pics when you get back from the cruise.

themeanest240
Car: 1991 240sx

Great car man, i just picked up s14 shell also, mine is a lil more beat up but i have same plans as you. auto to manual is going to suck!the custom bumper support is so sick!! i might need you to rig me up down the road. good luck on the build!

slim_240

sweeeeeeet build man. just curious, did you get the battery box from a battery relocation kit or did you get it from like autozone?

Return to “SR20DET Forum (rear-drive)”